Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: ABA Update (and Now The PBL)

Before making their first tip-off, the Reading Railers, an expansion team slated to play in the ABA next season, will actually play in the Premier Basketball League becoming the latest ABA team to jump leagues. The PBL is thought to be very well-funded with greater support for expansion teams, and has a shorter schedule--24 geames instead of 36 and starts in January. Hollywood (the Fame?), Bridgeport, Minnesota Ripknees, and the Arkansas Aeros are expected to join.
    http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=38170

Alexander Wolff has stepped down as GM of the ABA champs Vermont Frost Heaves but will continue as team president still involving himself in team's affair. With the way how the team is run, I'm confident that a competent person will act as GM.
    www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 04/SPORTS/

The Halifax Rainmen have their new website up and running as excitement on the team's official arrival draws near. Rainmen's 18 home games will be at the Halifax Metro Centre. Meanwhile, former Dalhousie star Paul Riley left for the ABA's Vice President of Business Development post. Halifax is currently scouting players who made their mark locally in the CIS Atlantic Conference like Nate Anderson and William Njoku and for U21ers: www.rainmenbasketball.com
    www.hfxnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=31116&sc=92

Houston Takers owner Larry D. Leonard II announced the signing of Howard Judah to the team as a player. Judah has a wealth of experience in basketball as a player. Did I mentioned that Judah is 80 years old?!
    www.abalive.com/news/releases/?newsid=2007031606007
    Jusqui'ici tout va bien...

Santa Fe joins the ABA next season.

Tyrone Nesby's ABA team based in Henderson, Nevada--the Las Vegas Lights closest ABA rival--will called the Henderson All-Starz.

Halifax Rainmen announced their new coach and GM today. The Rainmen present Kevin MaBone to fufill those capacities. Nationwide printing company TPH joins Westin Hotels and the Halifax Daily News as Rainmen corporate sponsors today. It has been a quiet and slow time for them to make significant announcements since the All-Star Weekend there (I WILL get to those soon), and I grew concerned about the lack of constant developments from them and the need toput public faces for the Rainmen in Halifax to succeed there. At least Halifax, unlike its predecessor the WBL/NBL Windjammers, won't have the league collapse over them to cease operations.

The ABA continues to grow big in Texas. This time its Midland Texas getting a team to play next season. The expansion team will be called the West Texas Whirlwinds. Hope they can recruit players who formerly played at West Texas A&M (formerly West Texas St.). Making it four active Texas-based ABA franchises.

Baltimore is back in the ABA and minor league basketball. After the Pearls dropped out this past season, Baltimore now has the Bay Lions to pick up the slack next season. This time the Bay Lions will call the 1st Mariner Arena (ugh, I still call it the Baltimore Arena) home. Surely they won't get massive attendance numbers for home games and lose money in the process. That arena looks like an overgrown stereotypical middle school cafeteria. Baltimore native Kirk Mitchell is the Bay Lions' coach and Director of Operations with owner Kia Feaster acting as his boss.

Las Vegas changed its name of its team from Venom to Lights to now PROLYMS. Now, I know what you're wondering, what the hell is that? PROLYM is a company specializing in sports aspects with endorsements from Jose Canseco, Sharon Stone, Cuttino Mobley, Smush Parker, Tom Arnold, Diddy, and Paris Hilton. Don't ask me why. By changing from Lights (a name that I like) to PROLYMs, it's part of naming rights deal. No venue announced yet.

With the Arkansas Aeros and Rivercatz out of the ABA and gone (possibly the former moving to the PBL) and the NBDL RimRockers moving to LaCrosse, Wisconsin next season, the Fantastics will be the one to rep the state of Arkansas in pro basketball. Now renamed Arkansas to market fans across the state, the Fayetteville-based team hope to have better fortunes playing at the heart of Arkansas basketball, the home of the Hogs. One of its owners is former America's Next Top Model contestant Farunoda Brasfield.

After the original sounding Mega Force, Honolulu returns to the ABA with the Hawaii Hurricanes. More details to follow soon.

UPDATE: Honululu already has the resurrected CBA team Hawaii Volcanos coming into next season, so it's going to be very interesting for pro basketball there with the CBA and ABA competing in a state with little success and sporadic teams. If executed properly, it can work. The Mega Force collapsed after two games. http://starbulletin.com/2006/06/02/edit ... ial01.html

Check out the new logo for the Hawaii Hurricanes. Rather cheesy looking and can use more stylistics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_Hurricanes

Why in the hell are the Long Beach Breakers are channeling the Now Deservedly Crumbling Evil Laker Empire in its new logo, is it because Breakers rhymes like Lakers? The previous logo was more stylistic.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Beach ... s%28ABA%29

Louisiana will join the ABA at last when Shreveport-Bossier City enters the fraternity in the 2008-09 season with Stallions. New Orleans was supposed to enter with the Louisiana Cajun Pelicans and Baton Rouge was supposed to field a team but Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath wiped out those plans for now.

The West Texas Whirlwinds are actually from the TBA.

Another interesting thing about this Las Vegas PROLYMs ABA franchise to me is the fact that former NBAer and Mizzou star Anthony Peeler will be beside coach Daniel Savage on the bench. Also announced the PROLYMs will play in the Long Beach Pro Summer League. www.prolym.com

Montreal Matrix, er, I mean, Royal, names Abel Joseph as their new GM. He played at Dawson College in Montreal and then Marquette before turning pro in Switzerland with Vevey Basket and Carouge. Their website is getting a new look and thus under construction.

The new still-nameless Tuscon ABA team brought in Steve Moss-Kelly to assume the leadership.

Boxing superstar Roy Jones Jr. may try his hand at basketball again with the Houston Takers.

West Texas Whirlwinds actually came from the Texas Professional Basketball League.

Rio Grande Valley Silverados signed their first player: San Antonio's Keith Simpson from Texas A&M International.

Crazy Joe is at it again. He responds to a column written by Halifax writer Alex J. Walling about how the ABA is full of holes and incomptence with the Rainmen joining ( www.hfxnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=36326&sc=93 ). Read Joe's official response here calling it "mean-spirited and hurtful": www.hfxnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=36595&sc=92 .

Joe, the fact is there little in the way of stability partly because of the reduced costs. Sure it can be affordable. But you gotta have the amount of publicity and people backing you up financially. Overexpansion clearly doesn't help matters, and some professional standards need to be installed leaguewide minimizing the conning factor. No well-run pro league, major or minor, would go overboard in its team supply, boosting the failure rate. But growing pains are a part of young leagues as they mature. There are quality models out there in the ABA like Vermont who do it the right way. Just not many of them. I can't recall a league that lost more teams than it in a short span of time. Also, a system must be in place to absorb a team's debt not leaving it in its wake. Walling's column COULD hurt the Halifax Rainmen, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and I assume and hope things will be professionally run. Hopefully the Rainmen people will have seen how not to operate things. Lay off the Rainmen and let them grow and publicize themselves to the Halifax market.

UPDATE: Just remembered this, as you know, I've been reading Paul Shirley's new book. Since this is ABA here, I'll discuss something in his time with the defunct Kansas City Knights. Shirley enjoyed being with Scott Wedman as a coach, but was disgusted with how religious many of the Knights players were. He also played due to its close proximity to his Kansas hometown. But the big revelation is of the fact that Shirley had to wash his bloodstained Knights jersey by hand in his sink.

Another one of the more successful ABA teams this past season switches to the Premier Basketball League. This one followed suit of the RazorSharks and forfieted their playoff game. It's the Minnesota Ripknees.

Dallas and Bridgeport, Connecticut are confirmed to play in the PBL next season too. Details of them will come later.

Unlike the Halifax's last pro basketball team, the Windjammers, the Rainmen will have to play in the winter and spring. Getting young Halifaxians to come to the Halifax MetroCentre and see them in action when it's cold outside and with school in the next morning will be a challenge. The Windjammers played in the summer where in the Nova Scotia capital, sunlight can go up to 9pm local time and with no other sports competition. But the Rainmen have the Halifax Mooseheads of the QMJHL (Canadian junior ice hockey league based in Quebec and sports many Quebec-based teams). The Rainmen would be very wise to work out something with them and learn how to succeed at that time of the season. I think they'll do well since basketball is beloved there; it wasn't the Windjammers' fault they died, the leagues they were in did. It's also great the Rainmen are aiming at the kids as prospective fans. Tyrouts are going on conducted by the Rainmen.

South of the border, the Syracuse Bullies ABA expansion team announced two significant things: it has named a coach, former SUNY Canton coach and Syracuse native Terill Dean and they will have a new name from the Bullies after several residents complained the Bullies name would promote violence. I actually think the Bullies' name is blah, not promoting violence. Anyway, the new names will be among these: Avalanche, Bullz, Snowballers, Sentinels, Natz (a subtle homage to the classic NBA team, the Nationals or Nats), and Netz.

Once again, the ABA will try its hand with the city of Philadelphia. This team though will play in the 2008-09 season. Surely there's loads of untapped and overlooked talent there. With all of that, the Philadelphia team will be known as the Philadelphia Sounds, which makes sense when you think about the rich R&B legacy the city has, most notably the "Philadelphia Sound" from the 1970s.

The Sauk Valley Rollers announced they will split their home games between Sauk Valley and Rockford, Illinois next season. Also, becuase of the gambling references of its Rollers name, the team will now known as the Rock River Fury. I hope to get an interview with Fury owner Tom McGinn in the near future for you to read.

Speaking of name changes in the ABA, the Syracuse ABA team can't even use Nats, since legal reps from the NBA strongly advise them to stay away from it since the 76ERS gave the rights to the name to the NBA for marketing reasons.

Tuscon's ABA team is the Tuscon Flames.

King County Royals announced they are ceasing operation costs thanks to sharp increases in operations for the 2007-08 season. It's getting crowded for men's pro basketball in the Seattle area with the Supersonics, the Mountaineers, Tacoma Jazz, and Everett Xplosion in the IBL. Not to mention the upcoming proposed CBA team in Seattle. So for now there's not going to be any ABA team representing the Pacific Northwest next season, not even in British Coumbia or Alberta.

In a related story in the King County area pro basketball (Seattle and Everett included), the Bellingham Slam declared its intention to play in the IBL next year. Another factor in the decline of the Royals with aforementioned IBL franchises already in place was the travel costs to Sacramento, KC's closest opponent 720 miles away.

King County finished their only season 6-14 missing the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Durbansandshark
    King County Royals announced they are ceasing operation costs thanks to sharp increases in operations for the 2007-08 season. It's getting crowded for men's pro basketball in the Seattle area with the Supersonics, the Mountaineers, Tacoma Jazz, and Everett Xplosion in the IBL. Not to mention the upcoming proposed CBA team in Seattle. So for now there's not going to be any ABA team representing the Pacific Northwest next season, not even in British Coumbia or Alberta.

In a related story in the King County area pro basketball (Seattle and Everett included), the Bellingham Slam declared its intention to play in the IBL next year. Another factor in the decline of the Royals with aforementioned IBL franchises already in place was the travel costs to Sacramento, KC's closest opponent 720 miles away.

King County finished their only season 6-14 missing the playoffs

Is that the same Bellingham franchise who jumped back and in and out from the CBA, then after looking at a cheaper option then the CBA, hopped over to the ABA and now seems destined to join the IBL?

I have read the ownership is borderline "shonkey" and leaves much to be desired, as do numerous other ownership groups in the ABA.

I hope that with what i read that Brad Hester (VP of Ops for the ABA) can wrestle some control from Uncle Joe and add some credibility to the ABA, which is sadly needed as the once proud and innovative brand name seems to be continually tarnished by Newman and Tinkham...

Dallas has officially joined the Premier Basketball League this past weekend. Name TBA at a later date (Texas Tycoons?).

When in the hell will this ABA overexpansion stop?! Newman plans to see ABA teams in North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas, West Virginia, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Colorado, Kansas, Utah, Wisconsin, Oregon, as well as additional teams in Canada and Mexico from an Ask the CEO on June 15.

Default Unca Joe!!

Well perhaps if Joe got his shop in order with the owners and franchises he had in place would add some credibility to the league, ensure a decent fan base and likely increase sponsorship revenue also.

I think the premise of the ABA, its broad outlook by way of locations and potential owners is a great foundation and premise for a league, however the review of potential cities along with the owners invovled, needs some serious reviewing of its own.

But as soon as they lose one franchise, they immediately open an additional one, to ensure the league office has a continual flow of revenue.

But i suppose as the old saying goes "USA the land of oppurtunity".

Default Re: Unca Joe!!

Quote Originally Posted by basketoz74
    Well perhaps if Joe got his shop in order with the owners and franchises he had in place would add some credibility to the league, ensure a decent fan base and likely increase sponsorship revenue also.

I think the premise of the ABA, its broad outlook by way of locations and potential owners is a great foundation and premise for a league, however the review of potential cities along with the owners involved, needs some serious reviewing of its own.

But as soon as they lose one franchise, they immediately open an additional one, to ensure the league office has a continual flow of revenue.

But i suppose as the old saying goes "USA the land of oppurtunity".
    Joe Newman likens ABA franchises to being fast-food outlets of competition with the NBA, NBDL, and CBA. One closes up shop, another pops up. Not a very good analogy in my view. Anyway, there's no denying that major pro leagues like the NBA are like a sports cartel here in North America, which often neglects other lower-tiered (in terms of publicity at least) sports leagues as the leagues nab the hearts and minds of the mainstream sports public. THEY hog all of the attention on ESPN SportsCenter--and gives the impression that's all there is, nothing's wrong with being the best though, so it's nice that we get news of other realms of sports here like Canadian college basketball, the ABA, CBA, and the USBL on a regular basis.

Big development in the ABA has happened. Several teams that played in the league this past season and those planning to make their debut play next season have decided to sit out for the 2008-09 season. Many are doing this for financial restructuring. Teams are:
    Tennessee Mud Frogs
    Arkansas Fantastics
    Baltimore Bay Lions
    Big Valley Shockwave
    Ontario Red Wolves
    Gallup Outlaws
    Kentucky Retros
    Southern Alabama Bounce
    El Paso S'Ol
    Phoenix Phantomz
    Twin City Ballerz
    Brooklyn Comets

Don't expect all to return though. League is now down to 44 franchises.

Last month the Norfolk Ballers, that Ann Iverson-owned ABA team that moved from Richmond following cancelled games with defunct teams, and the tenative Richmond franchise, were dropped from the ABA's website and thus will not play this season.

Waco Wranglers moved the United Basketball League.

Still, the ABA realigns and places new teams with ones proposed in San Francisco and Westchester (NY). League plans to place teams in Dover (DE), Providence, Corpus Christi, and Lawton (OK) in the coming seasons. Dover plans to play actually next season. Scheesh...

Winston-Salem's new ABA team is holding a name the team contest at 12 local businesses in the city or vote online at www.triadaba.com

Reno will get an ABA franchise set to play next season after all. But it won't be called the Reno Rockers (or the Northern Nevada Blackjacks for that matter). It will be the Reno Sharpshooters. More details to come later.

New Hampshire has witnessed a boom in pro sports, even if its just minor-league, over the past few years. Manchester, the "Queen City" capital of NH, has the AHL's Manchester Monarchs, the New Hampshire Fisher Cats AA baseball team, and the AF2's Manchester Wolves all playing in the Verizon Wireless Arena. Now you can add the Manchester Millrats in the ABA led by a group including David Cooper, Steve Yankopoulous, and former Cape Cod Frenzy GM Ian McCarthy. All were working on this move during the summer, and becoming a reality. Millrats is a reference and tribute to the nefarious residents of the city's old riverside mills. Unlike the Wolves and Monarchs, the Millrats will call the 2000-seat Southern New Hampshire University Fieldhouse home. If all goes well, we can see a nice rivalry with the ABA champs the Vermont Frost Heaves in the Northeast Division; the Millrats people should learn a lot from them on how to run things. I think this NH's first pro basketball team.

Add the Shreveport-Bossier Stallions to the list of those playing tenetively for 2008-09.

UPDATE: PBL Chairman Dr. Severko Hrywnak recently announced some news to the Rochester media that the PBL will:
    --run from the first week of January to the end of March
    --league will cover all travel expenses
    --will field 10 to 12 teams on a 24-game schedule (12 home, 12 away) "almost always" on weekends
    --league will be based in Rochester
    --preseason charity game against the Canadian National Team,
    --salary cap planned for $125,000 on a 10-man roster
    --open tryouts in Dallas, LA, Chicago, and Washington, DC for a modest fee of $25

The ABA defections to the Premier Basketball League continues: It was announced the other day be the PBL that the two Tom McGinn-owned franchises, the Quad Cities Riverhawks and the Rock River Fury (formerly the Hammond/Sauk Valley Rollers) are the latest teams added to the fledging league. I met McGinn after the Rollers-St. Louis Stunners game in February, a Stunners win. I still have his email address in the hopes of contacting for an interview in these boards, which I will do--just not right away. Now some of those questions will have to reflect the league jump. Yes, I will discuss my ABA experience with the Stunners soon.

The Henderson All-Starz, presumably named for the 2007 NBA All-Star weekend, will wait until 2008-09 to play, joining several other ABA franchises, active and expansion alike.

UPDATE: I forgot to add that the Acie Earl-coached Riverhawks will make a change towards the Wharton Field House, the home to the NBA's Tri-Cities Blackhawks and much later the CBA's Quad Cities Thunder.

San Francisco is back in the ABA again with whole different team. The SF Pilots make way for the San Francisco Rumble and their coach Fulton Mitchell, a co-commissioner of the PeaceHoops midnight basketball league. No word yet on a facility.

A basketball team from The Bahamas will make their debut in the ABA next season--the Bahama Pro Show. (Actually the team will be based in Miami, where there is a sizable Bahamian population and will replace the Miami Tropics, who left to become a touring team once more)

Manchester Millrats will have all of their home games shown on ABA Vision webcasts live and on-demand via broadband as one of the few pilot teams to do this.

Antonie Hyman, shot-blocker extrordinaire veteran, re-signs with the Vermont Frost Heaves.

Dover, Delaware's new ABA team has now been named: the First State Fusion. Since its near Philadelphia, I immediately thought of the Philadelphia Fusion that played in 2002 when I heard the name. Hopefully it'll fare better than the USBL's Delaware Stars. Tryouts for them start this weekend at their new court Delaware St.'s Memorial Hall Gym.

Elton Brand has agreed to bankroll the moved Brooklyn Comets team now as the Westchester Phantoms. Mom Daisy will be co-owner with her other son Archie McGriff serves as GM.

Another ABA team is coming with another name that sounds like a soccer team. This is another one based in California--Southern California. In the greater Los Angeles area. Joining the Long Beach Breakers and the Orange County Gladiators this upcoming season with be the Pasadena Push. Yes, Pasadena, the home of the Rose Bowl and its accompanying New Year's Day parade.

The Quebec Kebs have signed former Arkansas RiverCatz 6'6" forward Jasmine Mansell, who will team up with Samuel Audet-Sow, and resigned Quebec City native Dominic Soucy.

Larry Lissett leaves his post at Maryland-Eastern Shore to become the first head coach of the new Manchester Millrats. He previously coached Magic Johnson's Allstar team. www.manchestermillrats.com

Another ABA team is to be added in the New York area with the Strong Island Sound, Newark Express, the Corning Bulldogs, and Westchester Phantoms. Enter the NYC Internationalz, a team planned to come in 2008 that will have basketball players from around the world, all assembled and playing together in the spirit of humanity and peace in one of the world's most diverse and cosmopolitan cities. Think a lower grade basketball version of the old NASL's New York Cosmos.

The new Boston ABA franchise to replace the Frenzy (since moved to Cape Cod) will be called the Boston Blizzard. www.thebostonblizzard.com

Sacramento Heatwave announced former Sacramento Kings dancer Lindsay Allred, currently a student at Sacramento St., as Dance Team choreographer. With the Heatwave playing home games at Sacramento St.'s home court, expect several student from there to be Heatwave members.

Fumihiko Otsuka will follow in Yuta Tabutse's footsteps in being the next Japanese player to be in the ABA when he suits up for the Georgia Gwizzlies on November 8.

Raphael Edwards, the only player to suit up for the Strong Island Sound's three seasons, returns to the team. www.strongislandsound.com
    Speaking of one of the model ABA team's, there's a SLAM interview with Darren Cioffi: www.slamonline.com/online/2007/09/own-y ... irst-game/

DIME magazine did an interview with one of the PBL founders. I'll get it in later.

The Jacksonville Jam is now the latest ABA franchise to make the switch to the Premiere Basketball League. www.jaxjam.com

The PBL 2007-08 inaugural season teams:

East Division:
    Jacksonville Jam
    Maryland Knighthawks
    Reading Railers
    Rochester RazorSharks
    Wilmington Sea Dawgs

West Division:
    Arkansas Impact
    Chicago Aztecas
    Dallas Defenders
    Quad Cities Riverhawks
    Rock River Fury

2008-09 Expansion
    Montreal Sasquatch
    Toronto Lasers
    Minnesota Ripknees

The Reno Sharpshooters will not play this season in the ABA with the hope of competing next season. As with the case with many prospective teams, it is usually the issue of securing a venue to play home games at. So Reno will not have pro basketball this year. Oddly enough, this could pave the way for either the NBDL or the CBA's Northern Nevada Blackjacks to actually take advantage of the ABA's absence.
    www.abalive.com/news/releases/?newsid=2007103006006

Bryon Russell will join the Long Beach Breakers during its preseason training camp. Former NBAer Olden Polyince coaches the Breakers.

Montreal Royal, one of the longstanding Canadian ABA teams, announced Canadian gold medalist sprinter and Montreal-native Bruny Surin will join Luc Fillatrault and Pascal Jobin as its minority shareholder. People don't know that Surin, before he went into track, was into playing basketball. Also, the Royal brought in Dave King as their new head coach with several signings Cordell Jeanty, Denburk Reid (a re-signing), Mohammed Camara, Bobby Reid, Tommy Mitchell, and Quiniloius Randall. Ironically, they'll face a team of Montreal basketball legends knowns as the Montreal Legends before the season. The Legends are led by Trevor "Turbo" Williams, Pascal Fluery, and Wayne Yearwood.

Former Florida Gator Rashis Al-Kaleem will play for the Manchester Millrats.

Another sorry saga (and mess) in the world of the ABA. Hawaii is not immune to it despite its beautiful setting with fraud, theft, and deception. Everything is unraveling for the Hawaii Hurricanes and now as, with new owners, the Pacific Rim Rockers, scrambling to get everything together for the start of the season. Didn't really like the Hurricanes logo anyway.
    www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?S=7229925
    www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?S=7223959

Here's the website for the Bahamas Pro Show:
    www.bahamallproshow.com

Been a while since we last checked on the Halifax Rainmen. So what have they been up to lately? Well they appointed a coach to run the show in the form of Kevin MaBone, but MaBone had to resign due to his mother's poor health. So the Rainmen had to name a new one (and GM) with Rick Lewis with Shannon Hansen and Daniel Freiburg as Lewis' assistants. Halifax also signed Dennie Oliver, a 30-year old former St. Francis Xavier X-Men. Other players include local notables Kadiri Richardson, Blandon Ferguson, Sam Mack, James Booyer, Devino Williams, Brian Silverhorn, and Hardy Riley. Reebok happens to serve as their official athletic outfitter.

Another ABA team has the usual (for the league) problems with the majority investor having to pay the expenses for the fledging franchise. Steve Rodriguez has failed to such for the Rochester (MN) Fire. If the Fire doesn't produce the proper papers and insurance to the Mayo Civic Center's operators in the next few days, there will be no practice there on Monday and therefore, more than likely, no season for the Fire. Season is supposed to start on November 9 against the St. Louis Stunners.

Houston Takers said farewell to Sam Smith as their coach, citing different philosophies between the owner and coach. They announced today another former NBA star to take over with Orlando Woolwidge doing so. Every time he first gets involved with a pro team, the team's fortunes dwindles. That happened in the NBA with stints in several clubs as a player (Chicago, Detroit, Denver). www.abalive.com/news/releases/?newsid=2007110106001

Of the 39 teams currently part of the ABA, four at this writing have yet to have a website.

ABA season 2007-08 has just started this past weekend. Look for the usual storylines involving the league to play out during the course of the season, like teams and games cancelled.

The Pasadena Push has decided to rechristen themselves as the Los Angeles Push, in an attempt to broaden their fanbase in the Greater Los Angeles area.

Friday, November 2

Los Angeles Push 149 Sacramento Heatwave 115
    Texas Tycoons 142 Houston Takers 123

Saturday, November 3

Cicero Cometas 112 St. Louis Stunners 102
    Los Angeles Push 143 Sacramento Heatwave 119
    Boston Blizzard 106 Quebec Kebekwa 93

Sunday, November 4

Houston Takers 119 West Texas Whirlwinds 91
    Westchester Phantoms 112 Strong Island Sound 107 OT

Chicago Cometas changed to suburban Cicero but are still part of the Chicagoland area.

No ABA discussion would be complete without mentioning the defending champions, the Alexander Wolff-created Vermont Frost Heaves, who are THE model of the ABA franchises. I'm a bit surprised this team didn't make its way to the Premier Basketball League, since it poaches the best ABA teams from last season. Well Vermont has signed a lot of its players including some newcomers like Rashaun Banjo, Jamaal Wise, Erik Nelson, Dwayne Lee, Doukin Akounbade, Kenny Tate, and lately, returnee Issa Konare. The Frost Heaves even have set a basketball academy for Vermont boys and girls from grades 7-12 that will grant them extensive basketball instructions over in the land of the green mountains. With all of the more challenging teams leaving, Vermont may repeat. But that Northeast Division is strong up and down like Quebec City.
    www.vermontfrostheaves.com

Pony is now the official ABA shoe.

ABA 2007-08 schedule: www.abalive.com/schedule

Well, well, well, the Peoria Kings' season is over before it even began this season. I actually saw them play in February when they were on the road last season against the St. Louis Stunners at the Forest Park Community College gym.

A couple of articles on the Peoria Kings' abdication (and of the Rochester Fire). Thanks goodness the mystery man that is Steve Rodriguez is gone:
    www.pjstar.com/stories/110707/KIN_BERTPN3B.072.php
    www.pjstar.com/stories/110807/KIN_BES8DUD3.072.php

Hamilton, Ontario, despite its close proximity toward Toronto to the northeast plans to join that dysfunctional ABA family next season. Former Raptor/Knick/Net Chris Childs will serve as GM. Will they even play at the Copps Coliseum?