Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Twenty20 Basketball!

Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Also, one of the biggest criticisms leveled at basketball by non-fans is that it is too high scoring and fast-paced. So is this version going to actually attract new long-term supporters?
    Perhaps that is the case, but perhaps those former basketball fans who lost interest in the sport will have renewed interest through the FTA coverage and the increased pace (and the 8 extra minues per game ).
    A Stern Warning : NBA/NBL/FIBA.
    And Rise
    : Hoops / Culture / Design / Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Perhaps that is the case, but perhaps those former basketball fans who lost interest in the sport will have renewed interest through the FTA coverage and the increased pace (and the 8 extra minues per game ).
    Perhaps. Or perhaps they'll see this as a rubbish gimmick.

I just can't see this bringing in significantly more supporters.
    RIP Melbourne Tigers.

Anyone making bad press on this new initiative, will be disrespecting Brett Maher & relegated to a Julius Hodge exile.

RE$PECT.
    "Box of Chocolates" OzHo.

http://twitter.com/ECBHoops

Jeff Van Groningen interview.

Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Perhaps. Or perhaps they'll see this as a rubbish gimmick.

I just can't see this bringing in significantly more supporters.
    I agree. Slamball anyone?
    NBL Dream Team 2014-15
    Overall Position - 323rd
    Points Scored - 8,028
    Ozhoops Group Ranking - 30th
    League - Ozhoops 1 - 8th

Smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by gangsta boo View Post
    Where is the money coming from again?

Hope it doesn't turn into Slamball
    Indeed.
    "I think it's time to discuss your uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavour"

ECBHoops- CYCLONES SNAPPED UP BY SYDNEY-BASED GROUP: BRUCE BOLDEN TO COACH- check www.highstakeshoops.com for the press release on homepage!

ECBHoops- A few announcements to be made early next week with a significant one on Tuesday...stay tuned..

Non sanctioned BA comp.
    Meaning no team in Oz has to release any players to allow them to compete in this competition.

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    Non sanctioned BA comp.
    Meaning no team in Oz has to release any players to allow them to compete in this competition.
    They don't but it's not going to make clubs or the NBL look very good if they don't.

This comp has done something that the NBL can't. Get FTA and interest. People will watch it one One HD and if they don't have any NBL players and the commentators say why, I think it will make the NBL look bad.

Don't just think it's NBL'' related.
    AFAIK it means that no BA affiliated club need to release any players.
    ABA /SEABL/QBA / etc etc.
    If the pool from the NBL is poor, then JVG will look at the next level to draw players from.
    Maybe Anstey, McKinnon, Bear and Wortho can feature one last time.

Quote Originally Posted by illusiv View Post
    They don't but it's not going to make clubs or the NBL look very good if they don't.

This comp has done something that the NBL can't. Get FTA and interest. People will watch it one One HD and if they don't have any NBL players and the commentators say why, I think it will make the NBL look bad.
    So the NBL has to risk it's players to this flash in the pan comp, or else they risk looking bad? I really don't think this one off comp is in any position to hold the upper hand over the current NBL and it never will.
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

All depends on how much $$ can be offered to players in the future to suit up and play. Anyone care to remember what SuperLeague did to the ARL in the 90's??? Whilst this hasn't got the $$ that SuperLeague had, it may only be a matter of time before a schism occurs. Players (in general) will gravitate towards the money - they only have a short time to earn it.

Sd.
    Illawarra Hawks - 40 years strong...and still kickin'!

http://www.claritysport.org/images/ECB%20Release%20$10000%20GBC.pdf

The big difference here Skindog is that rugby league didnt have a 'FIBA' and such a large international component to the sport. If someone plays in a rebel basketball league they can be potentially banned from all FIBA endorsed competitions, meaning they can really only play in that rebel league, and if it falls over they are in a sticky predicament.

That would be a limiting factor for many players. Of course, if BA stuffs up the NBL as the owners did previously a rebel league would have a chance of getting going and BA and FIBA eventually having no choice but to sanction it as it would be the only functioning league in what is a very strong basketball country.

They already have high-profile sponsors and free to air coverage - the NBL has Virgin Blue, Novotel, OAMPS and FOX Sports. It wouldn't surprise me to see this take over to be honest...all it'll take is for another one of the NBL's straws to break.

SD.
    Illawarra Hawks - 40 years strong...and still kickin'!

You think this dicky exhibition tournament, featuring celebs and chicks as head coaches/owners is going to be some sort of competition to the current NBL?
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    The big difference here Skindog is that rugby league didnt have a 'FIBA' and such a large international component to the sport. If someone plays in a rebel basketball league they can be potentially banned from all FIBA endorsed competitions, meaning they can really only play in that rebel league, and if it falls over they are in a sticky predicament.

That would be a limiting factor for many players. Of course, if BA stuffs up the NBL as the owners did previously a rebel league would have a chance of getting going and BA and FIBA eventually having no choice but to sanction it as it would be the only functioning league in what is a very strong basketball country.
    BA hasn't said you can't play in this League.
    It's just not a sanctioned League.
    Anyone can play in it at their own risk, however the Clubs that have contracted players don't have to release those players at all.
    No risk of being banned at all. Unless those players play without their own clubs permission I would assume.
    Then it would (possibly) be a ban from their own club, and future employment with their contracted club.

Nothing at all to do with either FIBA or BA.

They havent said you cant play because it isnt a threat Curious. If it tries to become a serious challenger to the NBL it will be a different story.

The only way it can succeed is if the NBL falls over, and BA are making some small but reasonable steps forward at the moment, which suggests that wont happen just yet. If BA get the commercial deals they are negotiating for next year it wont happen in the foreseeable future. Regardless of those, I suspect BA would have teams spending $500K on players rather than go broke. A very wise approach, but hopefully one that isnt necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Cussy View Post
    So the NBL has to risk it's players to this flash in the pan comp, or else they risk looking bad? I really don't think this one off comp is in any position to hold the upper hand over the current NBL and it never will.
    I didn't say, suggest or even think that they could or would hold the upper hand... I simply said the NBL will look bad if they don't allow players to play in this comp.

Then again, aren't all players on 1 year deals this season anyway? I know that the contracts may run until June, but some players and teams may not want to re-sign.

Will be interesting to say the least.

in no way will the nbl look bad. it is the responsible course of action by an organisation that wants to protect the interests of itself and the players. sure some off contract (or retiring) players may have a look at it but really they are not guaranteed any money. it will be more interesting to hear the players' association thoughts and those of players' agents. are they encouraging the players to go for it or not?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...-1225831644988
    Anstey and Mackinnon likely to play for 'Coasters'.
    Riley Luettgerodt will play for the 'Fleet'. Averaged 13 points a game at the University of Hawaii.

Yesterday tournament organisers suffered a minor setback with unconfirmed reports the NBL Players Association was advising its membership not to participate in the weeklong series at the BMC on April 6-11.
    Leading NBL players are known to be keen to participate in the eight-team series which will be shown live on ONE-HD free-to-air TV.
    Wollongong Hawks captain and NBLPA president Mat Campbell was unavailable for comment last night and no currently contracted player wanted to be quoted "on the record".
    also from the article.

Quote Originally Posted by foxylady View Post
    in no way will the nbl look bad. it is the responsible course of action by an organisation that wants to protect the interests of itself and the players. sure some off contract (or retiring) players may have a look at it but really they are not guaranteed any money. it will be more interesting to hear the players' association thoughts and those of players' agents. are they encouraging the players to go for it or not?
    So whats the difference then for a team to allow their players to play in SEABL, SBL etc???

seabl and sbl competitions are sanctioned by basketball australia - sports injury insurance etc carries over ... big difference

Yesterday tournament organisers suffered a minor setback with unconfirmed reports the NBL Players Association was advising its membership not to participate in the weeklong series at the BMC on April 6-11.
    As per the article this was in fact an "unconfirmed" report and was actually just speculation at the time from Boti. So far the NBL Players Association and the NBL remain neutral towards The Foot Locker Elite Classic and have no problems with their players participating in the event.

I believe he may be clearing up/correcting this incorrect speculation in his next article.