Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HSH Rosters

Default HSH Rosters

2010 Foot Locker Elite Classic - High Stakes Hoops Team Rosters
    ECB is pleased to today release Team Rosters for next week's Foot Locker Elite Classic - High Stakes Hoops (Adelaide Dome, April 6-11). Rosters have been constructed by Team Rights Owners & Coaches from each Team over the last eight weeks. Teams had a deadline of today to put forward their core rosters, while ECB recognises that there are some major signings which will be announced over the next three days, particularly by the Monarchs, Cyclones and Reef. Those Teams sought permission to hold over several key announcements until later this week.
    Rosters are as follows:
    (*denotes Draft pick from Overseas Player Draft. ** denotes overseas player signed directly by team, these players did not nominate for the Draft and were signed as free agents. TBA denotes To Be Announced)

Rush
    Team Rights Owner - Lanard Copeland
    Coach - Sedale Threatt.
    Michael Boone *
    Lonnie Harrell *
    Chris Brown *
    Michael Rose **
    Brad Bridgewater
    Sedale Threatt Jr
    Yusuf Qaafow
    Daniel Dillon
    Matt Smith
    Thalo Green

Fleet
    Team Rights Owner - Brett Maher & Consortium
    Coach Ken Cole
    Troy Jackson **
    Willie Farley **
    Brett Maher
    Chris Goulding
    Riley Luettgerodt
    Luke Schenscher
    Tom Daly
    Chris Molitor
    TBA

Rays
    Team Rights Owner Pat Reidy & Matt Shanahan
    Coach - Matt Shanahan
    David Fisher *
    Freddy Robinson *
    Kevin Lisch **
    Peter Crawford
    Tony Ronaldson
    Damien Martin
    Adam Gibson
    Brad Hill
    TBA
    TBA

Cyclones
    Coach - Bruce Bolden
    Terrence Woodberry *
    Mario Brown *
    Graeme Dann
    BJ Carter
    Steve Markovic
    Clint Reed
    Brad Gerlach
    Ryan Kersten
    TBA
    TBA

Monarchs
    Team Rights Owner - John de la Torre
    Coach - Al Green
    Isiah Victor *
    Scott O'Gallagher *
    Martinis Woody **
    Wayne Oliver **
    Ed Millard **
    Rashard Tucker **
    Galen Young **
    Nick Brear
    TBA
    TBA

Coasters
    Team Rights Owner - Julie Corletto
    Coach Darryl "D Mac" McDonald
    D'Lancy Carter *
    Mike Helms *
    Bennett Davison **
    Sean Lampley **
    Sam Mackinnon
    Luke McMillan
    Kevin Ratzch
    Brad Davidson
    TBA
    TBA

Pythons
    Team Rights Owner - Lance "Buddy" Franklin
    Coach - Mark Bradtke
    Tony Danridge **
    Kevin Johnson **
    Harry Lum **
    Corey "Homicide" Williams **
    Dante Sykes **
    Geremy Robinson **
    John Rillie
    Michael Florence
    Mike McDaniel
    TBA

Reef
    Team Rights Owner - Stewart Briggs & Dale Ryan
    Coach Dale Ryan & Mick Downer
    Shane Edwards *
    Jason Cameron
    Nathan Niesler
    Todd Blanchfield
    Blogoj Janev
    David Bartholomaeus
    John Fitzgerald
    TBA
    TBA

This comp seems to be getting a bad spin from lots on here but I'm really looking forward to seeing it all unfold.

Who does everyone like now that we have the rosters all but complete.

I like the looks of the Rush, Monarchs, Coasters and the Pythons.

Playing spot the Aussie on the Monarchs list!

Just call me Trigger ;)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Rod View Post
    Rays
    Team Rights Owner Pat Reidy & Matt Shanahan
    Coach - Matt Shanahan
    David Fisher *
    Freddy Robinson *
    Kevin Lisch **
    Peter Crawford
    Tony Ronaldson
    Damian Martin
    Adam Gibson
    Brad Hill
    TBA
    TBA
    I pity the guards who have to match up against a defensive rotation of Martin, Gibson, Lisch and Crawford.

Oh dear.
    Matt Smith and Thalo in the one team.
    G Dann in another.
    Rashad (note the correct spelling.) Tucker. How did he even get a Visa to play here again?
    Markovic's back....
    No Anstey.
    Certainly more than the usual suspects.

I have heard Leven might be playing

I don't like the idea of five Americans on one team. It's going to turn in to an AND1 game, and the amount of bad lob passes is going to be frustrating to watch.
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

Curtis Small will play for the Coasters
    It's on like Donkey Kong

What happens to all the guys who are playing HSH and ABA together? Do they just drop their ABA commitment for the week or something?

Although most teams now have a full roster, Communications Minister Stephen Conroy has vetoed the release of the full list. HSH may get an infraction from the government for the premature release of the list prior to classification.

Conroy has refused to release the full list of names of participants [of High Stakes Hoops] saying it would provide people with instant access to the currently banned list. As the list hasn?t been classified as yet, its current status is ?Refused Classification (RC)? and is to be withheld from public viewing.

High Stakes Hoops has been required to stall the production of player uniforms as names haven?t been granted approval. ?We may need to resort to nicknames like those stupid Wildcats jerseys from the early ?90s,? a source within High Stakes Hoops admitted.

Conroy?s office is also concerned about "an apparent drug-related theme" of the tournament. Conroy has stated his concerns over the team names Reef as it "sounds all too similar to Reefers", the Rush as it "appears to attempt to promote the rush associated with the consumption of illicit drugs", and the Coasters as it "endorses alcohol consumption, albeit in a table surface-friendly manner".

Conroy was also disgusted by the names of Fleet recruit Willie Farley and Cyclones recruit BJ Carter. Under Conroy's new proposed legislation, contentious surnames on jerseys would be required to be covered up by black tape, or preferably bureaucratic red tape.
    Full article here.

Interesting times ahead.
    Last edited by thc; 31-03-2010 at 05:24 PM.

Add Deba George to the mix as well - for what it's worth I think he'll fit in well with the style of play proposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Melb Wildcat View Post
    What happens to all the guys who are playing HSH and ABA together? Do they just drop their ABA commitment for the week or something?
    I believe any ABA players involved either have just a Saturday night game (the rest day) or don't play at all that week.

I think you're a day early thc.

SD.
    Illawarra Hawks - 40 years strong...and still kickin'!

Julius Hodge has joined the Monarchs, and David Carson (Fleet) has been ruled out due to injury..

Bennett Davison! I don't care that he's probably about 400 years old now, he's awesome. I just got excited about the tournament!

Another one hot off the presses ... Oscar Forman will join the Fleet.

More signings yet to come!

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeTaylor View Post
    Another one hot off the presses ... Oscar Forman will join the Fleet.

More signings yet to come!
    Add the good Dr Ng to the mix as well Dodge!

Very interesting to see how this stuff is progressing.
    Personally I don't want to 5 Yanks playing in one team. I would rather see a far more balanced side and another 3 Aussies gaining employment in that side.
    Most of the underwhelming interest on the Boards here says it all.
    Allegedly their own promotion of this comp is poor.
    I certainly hope that JVG et.al. dont piss of ONE HD in regard to the long term coverage of the NBL. This is a basketball concept that has got off the ground and all credit to them, but the concept IMO is poor.
    Lets see if it gets another gig next season, based on the ratings they get.

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    but the concept IMO is poor.
    Based on what Curious? IMO the concept has massive potential - it's a 6 day off season tournament with a few new rules, mixture of young & veteran Aussies with a fair splash of athletic Americans for prize money with a live free to air tv contract.

Why the haterade? Jvg's taken on the risk and had the balls to try something new and different in basketball terms. Anyway, we'll see how it pans out but I think this is a sign of things to come....

JVG has taken no risk. Make no mistake about that. All he is risking is it fails this season and doesn't return. Knowing JVG he will have all bases covered. It's sponsored and costs will be covered at the very least.
    As I said earlier I do not want to see 5 Yanks playing for one team. That's crap.
    That is a deal breaker for me.
    How does that improve baketball in Australia?

My take on Al Green's squad of yanks is that that's the whole idea - it's free enterprise. Heck, Vlahov could buy a team next year full of Western Australians. I'm guessing it'll be good for Aussie basketball when the teams made up of mostly Aussies show up the streetball yanks with good teamwork, passing, shooting and defence. It'll prove to the average punter that you don't have to be American and 6-7 to be good at hoops.

Time will tell.

It improves basketball in Australia by improving basketballs profile countrywide. Mate most basketballers love college ball and the NBA and thats just a bunch of yanks running around (with a few others). ANYTHING basketball related that gets on free to air t v and generates interest is good for the game here.

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    As I said earlier I do not want to see 5 Yanks playing for one team. That's crap.
    That is a deal breaker for me.
    How does that improve baketball in Australia?
    None of the teams have a locational identity. Why is it then outrageous for teams to have less concern over the locational origin of each player? (I'd actually like to see this tournament attempt to draw more foreigners from other parts of the world next year.)

Without that locational connection, spectators are more likely to create allegiances based on the playing roster. The less alike each playing roster is, the better. The only argument for high Australian content is fan familiarity with the players.

The teams are together for little more than a week. This is a fun, novel tournament, not a tournament that is essential for the development of Australian talent. Why insist upon a certain amount of Australian talent on each team? Why insist upon homogeneity?

This tournament isn't going to usurp the NBL. It's not a direct competitor. It provides an interesting alternative out of season. Why expect NBL-like or FIBA-like restrictions for a novel week-long tournament? Surely it needs to be different to be successful.
    Last edited by rjd; 03-04-2010 at 10:36 AM.

Let's hope it is successful.
    Last edited by curious; 03-04-2010 at 02:38 PM.