Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: By: Daniel Eade

Default By: Daniel Eade

This is a public service announcement to all Ozhoops users.

All articles that appear on the NBL website, other sites like backpagelead and gaze.com.au, that have been written by Daniel Eade, should be either taken with a pinch of salt, or completely ignored altogether. Aside from being filled with typos, and incredibly biased against which ever team he decides he doesn't like that week, they are also often factually incorrect a majority of the time. The guy can tweet as much trash talk as he wants, but when it makes it to the official website of the NBL, its a concern. Its unprofessional, embarassing for the league, and they should politely part ways with the boy so he can continue his "journalism" elsewhere.
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

Settle down Cuss, I thought you'd be smart enough to work out that Daniel's, the NBL's joycefan.

Trouble with you tall guys, is that you don't understand what, "life is too short" means.
    "Box of Chocolates" OzHo.

Just call me Trigger ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Cussy View Post
    This is a public service announcement to all Ozhoops users.

All articles that appear on the NBL website, other sites like backpagelead and gaze.com.au, that have been written by Daniel Eade, should be either taken with a pinch of salt, or completely ignored altogether. Aside from being filled with typos, and incredibly biased against which ever team he decides he doesn't like that week, they are also often factually incorrect a majority of the time. The guy can tweet as much trash talk as he wants, but when it makes it to the official website of the NBL, its a concern. Its unprofessional, embarassing for the league, and they should politely part ways with the boy so he can continue his "journalism" elsewhere.
    :Applause:

It had to be said.

I don't care what he is. His articles should not be appearing on any official NBL webpage.

I don't care what he is. His articles should not be appearing on any official NBL webpage.
    Maybe he doshes out $10/year to talk shit.

If he get's officially endorsed by the NBL, then articles from @cantbuyabasket should be as well.
    Visit Can't Buy a Basket.

Or follow us on twitter @cantbuyabasket

Thought this last twit by Eade was quite telling:

Quote Originally Posted by DanielEade
    Does anybody have any jobs going or know anyone who does? Part-Time
    2 minutes ago via web

Quote Originally Posted by Be Aggressive View Post
    Daniel Eade sucks.
    Your relationship with Daniel should remain private.

Eade is a clippers fan, or just on the griffin bandwagon?

I think Eade is one of those people that has a few drinks and then jumps online and posts a whole lot of nonsense, and then wonders why he has people criticising him.

At the risk of being a killjoy, would anyone like to post specific rebuttals to his work instead of just slagging him off?

DN
    The Reverend Doktor Derek Nielsen, FEIT, CTAJ, v2.0

I suggest he writes in word to take advantage of spell and grammar checks. Much more accurate than writing in brown on squares of toilet paper.

Ok big D, I'll give it a shot.

I think Eade's biggest downfall is that he jumps to a conclusion too quickly based off little fact and seems to really push hunches as if they were news. I am certain that he is pure in his quest to give basketball as much exposure as possible.

I also think in his eagerness to get a breaking story he pushes out articles that haven't really been thought about too much. I think he likes to try to stir the pot first rather than take the time to write something with depth.
    Last edited by haggard; 11-02-2011 at 01:10 PM.
    Visit Cant Buy a Basket ... and follow us on Twitter @cantbuyabasket

Quote Originally Posted by haggard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    At the risk of being a killjoy, would anyone like to post specific rebuttals to his work instead of just slagging him off?

DN
    Ok big D, I'll give it a shot.

I think Eade's biggest downfall is that he jumps to a conclusion too quickly based off little fact and seems to really push hunches as if they were news.

I also think in his eagerness to get a breaking story he pushes out articles that haven't really been thought about too much. I think he likes to try to stir the pot first rather than take the time to write something with depth.
    I think in your eagerness to post you pushed out a generalisation that hadn't really been thought about too much.

I see Eade's name crop up occasionally and never in a good way, but he really is a complete non-entity to me. I'd love some examples.
    As far as we know, we are the first and only instance of the Universe becoming aware of itself. Given long enough, carbon begins to wonder where it came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post

DN
    Sure. A couple of weeks ago, his Cats-Sixers preview was devoted to mentioning that two teams had complained about the "dirty tactics" that the Wildcats used, saying that the league was on to them. The tactics were touching the ball after an opponent scores, and allowing their hands to go over the line when the opponent is trying to inbound the ball. Fair enough, the league may have told all teams to stop, as all teams do it, but to promote a match on the official website as "one team cheats" is just crap. In the same week, he gave DJ Rod a mention for no relevant reason to the match he was previewing. I'm sure Rod was chuffed but official articles aren't a secret mens club.

This week, the incorrect comments regarding the in's and out's of the Cats team facing the Kings was based on him reading the headline of an article. It also said something incorrect in regards to the injury replacement rules, and Ater Majok. The Breakers-Tigers preview mentioned Penney is aiming for back to back MVP's.

Time and time again, he has used his own webpage to post rumours as fact, and thats fine if he wants to, but when it trickle on to the official website, you need to ask why he is even considered to be writing articles.

Quote Originally Posted by mattic View Post
    I think in your eagerness to post you pushed out a generalisation that hadn't really been thought about too much.
    that could be the problem. too much thinking, not enough action. (one day i'll figure out how to smiley)
    Visit Cant Buy a Basket ... and follow us on Twitter @cantbuyabasket

I think people are being too harsh. He is a scoop writer, trying to get the story before others. All scoop journalists get it wrong sometimes (ala Eade with Corletto-gate or Nagy with Wortho to NZ), but sometimes they break a big story (ala Eade with the Westover sacking or Nagy with countless stories over the years).

There is definitely a place for this sort of writing, it certainly adds to the interest in the league when there is rumour and innuendo. There is also place for more analytical writing, or the humorous style Nagy does so well, but I dont have a problem with Eade trying to break stories.

It is fair criticism that he needs to fact check his NBL articles better, but then I cant talk as I spelt Darryl McDonald's name wrong on the FIBA site this week!!!

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    I think people are being too harsh. He is a scoop writer, trying to get the story before others. All scoop journalists get it wrong sometimes (ala Eade with Corletto-gate or Nagy with Wortho to NZ), but sometimes they break a big story (ala Eade with the Westover sacking or Nagy with countless stories over the years).

There is definitely a place for this sort of writing, it certainly adds to the interest in the league when there is rumour and innuendo. There is also place for more analytical writing, or the humorous style Nagy does so well, but I dont have a problem with Eade trying to break stories.
    Break a story, by all means, but keep it in his webpage. The official site is not the place for rumour and innuendo, nor playing favourites.

By the way, I loved your recent mid-season review article.

Thanks Cussy, really appreciated.

I added a little bit after I had posted earlier. The fact checking could definitely be improved in the instances you pointed out and overt opinions should be saved for opinion pieces, but I think those issues can be sorted. I think it is hard to get stuff to populate the NBL site and I imagine Daniel is doing it mostly (completely?) out of his love for the sport, so I think it is a little harsh to pan him completely.

Sure. A couple of weeks ago, his Cats-Sixers preview was devoted to mentioning that two teams had complained about the "dirty tactics" that the Wildcats used, saying that the league was on to them. The tactics were touching the ball after an opponent scores, and allowing their hands to go over the line when the opponent is trying to inbound the ball.
    In fairness to the Wildcats, it has been pleasing to see that despite being the league's biggest offender for uncalled free throw line violations, they've finally managed to stamp that element out of their game over the last couple of weeks.
    Ozhoops March Madness: It's back for 2011! Current bracket here

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    There is definitely a place for this sort of writing, it certainly adds to the interest in the league when there is rumour and innuendo
    I thought that's what Ozhoops was for

Quote Originally Posted by Stumps View Post
    In fairness to the Wildcats, it has been pleasing to see that despite being the league's biggest offender for uncalled free throw line violations, they've finally managed to stamp that element out of their game over the last couple of weeks.
    Was that a cheeky dig at Redhage?

Quote Originally Posted by Stumps View Post
    Naaaah, of course not.

Cheeky? Obvious!
    Ozhoops March Madness: It's back for 2011! Current bracket here