Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Bogut to also play in the NBL?

Default Andrew Bogut to also play in the NBL?

Possibility according to this article:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/baske...829-1jid9.html

He would do mean things to the league.

What NBL clubs can insure $60m???

Perth would be a top candidate. But there would new to be major reshuffling of player point ratings.

Perth has a knack for luring NBA quality players too. Just ask the LA Lakers
    No Signature.

Who will the Tigers sack to fit him in?
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

Whatever it costs it would be worth it. Get BA to pay it and would provide millions more in free advertising to the league. The gov may even chip in as they do with paying tiger woods to play in aus etc.

Also Tigers could sack Dorsey/Ubaka to fit Bogut in. Both are handy but not a priority with similar guys in the team like Rush/Walker/Mills/Dillon. Blaze could sack Hoare/Hudson and get the qld gov/council on board to help cover insurance.
    Last edited by joycefan; 30-08-2011 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaMarQabLe View Post
    What NBL clubs can insure $60m???

Perth would be a top candidate. But there would new to be major reshuffling of player point ratings.

Perth has a knack for luring NBA quality players too. Just ask the LA Lakers
    Check the official draft board mate, Majok was recruited from Blaze with Perth not even getting a mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Cussy View Post
    Who will the Tigers sack to fit him in?
    The guy that sits in the 4th row opposite the visiting team. loopholes and exemptions will do the rest.

Seamus will figure something out, I'm sure...
    Tool Herder: Special Projects Team Lead / Mayor of Twatland / Herder of Tools
    The Kings are dead... LONG LIVE THE KINGS!

Quote Originally Posted by joycefan View Post
    Check the official draft board mate, Majok was recruited from Blaze with Perth not even getting a mention.
    Oh dear. You think that matters?
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

Quote Originally Posted by joycefan View Post
    Whatever it costs it would be worth it. Get BA to pay it and would provide millions more in free advertising to the league. The gov may even chip in as they do with paying tiger woods to play in aus etc.

Also Tigers could sack Dorsey/Ubaka to fit Bogut in. Both are handy but not a priority with similar guys in the team like Rush/Walker/Mills/Dillon. Blaze could sack Hoare/Hudson and get the qld gov/council on board to help cover insurance.
    BA cant afford to pay for Bogut's insurance to play for the Boomers, where are they going to find the money to pay for him to play an entire season?

Good point Rebecca, and it is a bit hard to see it happening on those terms.

Do NBL teams still pay injury insurance/income protection insurance (whatever its called), or are the players supposed to look after themselves? (like I do in my job) I thought most teams could not afford it.

Surely if NBL teams cannot insure $1 million in NBL contracts for their own players, they couldn't insure a $60 million NBA contract????

I heard the interview he did on SEN yesterday. He said he would consider it and David Schwartz is a moron (irrespective of this conversation) and decided Bogut said he will definitely play here if the lockout continues into October.

I took it to mean it's an option but he's far more likely to look at and go to Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
    BA cant afford to pay for Bogut's insurance to play for the Boomers, where are they going to find the money to pay for him to play an entire season?
    precisely! will never happen...

Quote Originally Posted by scooterrich View Post
    ....Do NBL teams still pay injury insurance/income protection insurance (whatever its called), or are the players supposed to look after themselves? (like I do in my job) I thought most teams could not afford it.
    The NBL used to pay for extra player insurance, but they haven't done so in a long time.

All NBL Clubs must cover all their players via State based Work Cover. This is a limited income based on a percentage of their wages paid

Thanks Curious.

Does that mean players have to take care of this themselves, or if not, they have no cover? Premiums for income protection insurance are pretty steep to sit in an office in front of a computer. Not much danger or threat of hurting yourself!
    I cannot imagine what they would be for playing professional sport, especially when many salaries in the NBL at least are not huge.

Sorry - took too long to reply as I was on a phone call in my office job sitting in front of a computer and the above post may answer some of this!

If we ask Jack Bendat and say pretty please could he pay the insurance??

Quote Originally Posted by scooterrich View Post
    Thanks Curious.

Does that mean players have to take care of this themselves, or if not, they have no cover? Premiums for income protection insurance are pretty steep to sit in an office in front of a computer. Not much danger or threat of hurting yourself!
    I cannot imagine what they would be for playing professional sport, especially when many salaries in the NBL at least are not huge.

Sorry - took too long to reply as I was on a phone call in my office job sitting in front of a computer and the above post may answer some of this!
    I would imagine that (possibly) a good NBL player would self insure? Income protection.
    Worker's Comp will pay $X, and their salary is $Y. Diff = $Z.

Boges will only return if Goorj is his personal coach & mentor, out of respect for what Brian has done for him in the past.
    And they both love Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointybits View Post
    All NBL Clubs must cover all their players via State based Work Cover. This is a limited income based on a percentage of their wages paid
    This is incorrect. Professional athletes do not fall under state based work cover. They must be privately insured by their teams.

ANY team hoping to sign Andrew Bogut during the NBA lockout will need $500,000 on the table before talk about wages even begins.

The Milwaukee Bucks big man will consider playing in the NBL or in Europe, where he could command megabucks, if the NBA season does not go ahead.

The first, and biggest, hurdle for suitors is the $500,000 insurance premium needed to cover Bogut's contract, which is worth about $36 million over the next three seasons.

While Bogut is not prepared to consider his playing options until October 1, when he will better know if the NBA lockout will end, he is looking to suit up if the insurance is covered.

"I'm exploring all options," Bogut said. "If they cover the insurance, then I'll play. But I need to put that out there as the first and foremost thing.

"I'd definitely like to play, but I don't want to bankrupt clubs."

The insurance cost is prohibitive for NBL teams, while Melbourne-born Bogut would be more attractive to European teams - given he has a Croatian passport and would not count as an import.

Having just returned from a holiday in Croatia, Bogut already has been approached by Cibona Zagreb and other teams.
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/an...-1226125926825
    "Human beings, as a species, have no more value than slugs"

John Davis (editor, Earth First! Journal)

Dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam, dream dream dream, dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam.

Fantasy leagues around the nation will be going crazy.
    Mod Edit
    ARE the Townsville Crocs Scamming on PC Singlets?. *vote HERE

"Now when I put it down, oh yep I do IT,
    And when I put it down, oh yes I do IT,
    And when I put it down, oh yep I do IT,
    And when I put it down, oh yes I do IT."

Best lyrics ever. also the sound effects, especially the scratching, are just cool. It's like it was made in a ProStudio. $1.69 well spent.

"Your Mum has a little 'look' around the place"

Bogut on twitter "This is going to be a very exciting September! Som many announcements coming up this month. Stay posted!"

Roughly translates to a contract with the Tigers.

ADELAIDE will investigate the possibility of signing Milwaukee Bucks centre and Boomers Olympian Andrew Bogut.

The Sixers want Bogut for the 2011-12 NBL season if the NBA lock-out keeps him sidelined.

Bogut, Australia's historic first No. 1 NBA draft choice in 2005, told SEN radio the prospect of playing in the NBL this year was "definitely an appealing option" prompting the 36ers into action.

"We'd be foolish not to follow it up," Sixers coach Marty Clarke, who was Bogut's mentor at the AIS, said.

Bogut's revelation he might favourably look at Australian playing options ahead of Europe comes in the wake of Portland Trail Blazers' guard Patty Mills signing with the Tigers in Melbourne.

"Patty's taken my spot in my home town," Bogut joked of Mills signing with Melbourne. "I'm out of a job."
    http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/b...-1226126789197
    "Human beings, as a species, have no more value than slugs"

John Davis (editor, Earth First! Journal)