Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Bogut to also play in the NBL?

Wesley Mathews interested in playing in Australia via tweet from Patrick Mills. Who would be able to afford his insurance?
    No Signature.

his would be a lot less than Bogut's! I think he was wanting to play with Patty tho... lucky Melb still have room in their salary cap

That'd be right - Mills signs at the last minute and has started (yes I'm exaggerating) an influx of good NBA players interested in the NBL, when everyone has signed 2 imports and has a full roster!
    Zigged when I definitely should have Zagged

Quick! Everyone cut a player to fit an NBA guy in and all the cut players make a team in Brisbane!

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    Quick! Everyone cut a player to fit an NBA guy in and all the cut players make a team in Brisbane!
    Why don't you just make a team of NBA players.
    Will you take a 5 Dennis, take a 5 please!

Quick Seamus, cut Patty Mills to sign Bogut

Is there anyone the Sixers haven't been close to signing this off-season?

Quote Originally Posted by whitewind View Post
    Quick Seamus, cut Patty Mills to sign Bogut
    No no cut Tommy Greer and fund the rest with player's "pay cuts".

Quote Originally Posted by SB.1 View Post
    Is there anyone the Sixers haven't been close to signing this off-season?
    Exactly.

Woah.... awesome news. I assume teams wouldn't be persuing player like Mills and Bogut unless they have confidence that the NBL powers that be are willing to "tweak" player point ratings.. which is the right thing to do in these lock out times. Andrew freakin Bogut...
    No Signature.

500k per 3 months. That's about 50k per game.

Or in other terms, that's 1.4 times the cost of the entire team salary. For insurance. For one player.

Quote Originally Posted by RaMarQabLe View Post
    Woah.... awesome news. I assume teams wouldn't be persuing player like Mills and Bogut unless they have confidence that the NBL powers that be are willing to "tweak" player point ratings.. which is the right thing to do in these lock out times. Andrew freakin Bogut...
    Not really. It would give the Cats the ability to sign the best ten point player on the planet, plus keep their existing squad. That's pretty unfair to the rest of the league. We'd have to part ways with Trueman or Williamson, or both.
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

Quote Originally Posted by Cussy View Post
    We'd have to part ways with Trueman or Williamson, or both.
    I would assume Greg Hire.. maybe back as a development player if he qualifies.
    Visit Cant Buy a Basket ... and follow us on Twitter @cantbuyabasket

Quote Originally Posted by Cussy View Post
    Not really. It would give the Cats the ability to sign the best ten point player on the planet, plus keep their existing squad. That's pretty unfair to the rest of the league. We'd have to part ways with Trueman or Williamson, or both.
    What if we changed our name to true Melbourne Tigers. Would it be fair then?

De-activate Hire and Trueman? Tweak the point ratings and we are good to go.
    No Signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallitron View Post
    500k per 3 months. That's about 50k per game.

Or in other terms, that's 1.4 times the cost of the entire team salary. For insurance. For one player.
    You wouldn't want to lose any game he played in or you'd be the laughing stock of the league.

The pressure is on the player. Maybe not such an issue for Bogut, but if Mills has a bad stint, maybe that Portland contract isn't there after the lockout ends?

The pressure is really on Mills.

I think the only party likely to be able to afford that sort of insurance money is Bogut himself. And he's probably the sort of guy that might actually do it.

haterz gonna hate.
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

Lol... So one of the best teams in the league who are already legitimately making the most of their ability to sign young talent for multiple years to maximize their lower points ratings and who also have one of the better ex-imports in recent history, want to pull a Tigers? Well, I guess since the Cheetahs have set the precedent of deactivating players... They'd only have to free up 2pts though...

But where would it stop? Will BA then allow a team to sign fellow Boomers Ingles and Maric for peanuts and let teams deactivate players mid-season if they want to come back "home" for "the love of Australian basketball"? Or will the line be drawn at NBA players which will give Cairns the chance to sign Jawai for next to nothing?

I'm all for bringing our best back and having our regular guys play against them to help make them better, but it's just a shame it couldn't have been done properly and not as a last minute thing with teams having to go dodgy...
    Tool Herder: Special Projects Team Lead / Mayor of Twatland / Herder of Tools
    The Kings are dead... LONG LIVE THE KINGS!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
    I'm all for bringing our best back and having our regular guys play against them to help make them better, but it's just a shame it couldn't have been done properly and not as a last minute thing with teams having to go dodgy...
    With Bogut, it's the issue of needing to know where the NBA's at before he commits, which really can't be helped. Not sure why Mills left it so late, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
    Lol... So one of the best teams in the league who are already legitimately making the most of their ability to sign young talent for multiple years to maximize their lower points ratings and who also have one of the better ex-imports in recent history, want to pull a Tigers? Well, I guess since the Cheetahs have set the precedent of deactivating players... They'd only have to free up 2pts though...

But where would it stop? Will BA then allow a team to sign fellow Boomers Ingles and Maric for peanuts and let teams deactivate players mid-season if they want to come back "home" for "the love of Australian basketball"? Or will the line be drawn at NBA players which will give Cairns the chance to sign Jawai for next to nothing?

I hear you Nerfy, but in the unlikely event that this was to happen I think Marvin and Bendat have earned the presumption and reputation that this will all be done above board. The problem with McPeake and the Tigers is that his/their reputation preceeded them.

I don?t think de-activating players is dodgy, NBA and Euro teams constantly cut guys, it is part of being paid to play sport, your job is never completely safe. At least with whoever Perth ?deactivate? in the event of signing Bogut, you know they?ll get paid. Hopefully Corletto will too.

The problem Nick Marvin has is that the Wildcats have already sold out their arena - Bogut isn't bringing them more bums on seats unless you hire a bigger venue...

THEN - what if the lock out ends and Bogut is gone by the time the game in the bigger venue comes around - imagine the Wildcats v Tigers with Bogut & Mills playing!

The Tigers are pretty much in the same position with their small stadium that doesnt even comply with NBL seating standards.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Rod View Post
    The problem Nick Marvin has is that the Wildcats have already sold out their arena - Bogut isn't bringing them more bums on seats unless you hire a bigger venue...
    its not often you hear that selling out an arena is a problem.
    I think it has a lot more to do with exposure, marketing, attracting sponsors.. things like that.
    THEN - what if the lock out ends and Bogut is gone by the time the game in the bigger venue comes around - imagine the Wildcats v Tigers with Bogut & Mills playing!.
    Are we really expecting the NBA lock out to end soon?we would only have to wait to round 2 to see a Cats v Tigers game (should Bogut end up in Perth). which would be before the NBA season if it was to start on time.
    Visit Cant Buy a Basket ... and follow us on Twitter @cantbuyabasket

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    I don?t think de-activating players is dodgy, NBA and Euro teams constantly cut guys, it is part of being paid to play sport, your job is never completely safe. At least with whoever Perth ?deactivate? in the event of signing Bogut, you know they?ll get paid. Hopefully Corletto will too.
    Indeed. They're playing a professional sport. They know what they are getting into.

The Tigers are pretty much in the same position with their small stadium that doesnt even comply with NBL seating standards.
    Say what?