Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Waratah State League

This is a really sad situation and I am sure when they all cool down, they will regret this action, which is sad for the local association if they are stuck with fines etc....I really hope that someone can intervene and come up with a solution, as the last thing anyone needs Is another association folding....

Quote Originally Posted by CoachGirl View Post
    This is a really sad situation and I am sure when they all cool down, they will regret this action, which is sad for the local association if they are stuck with fines etc....I really hope that someone can intervene and come up with a solution, as the last thing anyone needs Is another association folding....
    From the news reports in the local paper it genuinely looks like the Association will be fielding the team, and hence you'd think they won't incur any more fines.

As for the tribunal and appeals system with BNSW, my understanding is that once you are found guilty of a charge (or charges) you then need to submit your grounds for an appeal to that body (what's called a Schedule 6). A charged player has 14 days to lodge an appeal, however the BNSW Tribunal By-laws don't state whether a player who is appealing a decision is able to play while they wait for an appeal to be heard.

SD.
    Illawarra Hawks - 40 years strong...and still kickin'!

Lithgow got beaten by the Jets on the weekend so that leaves Bankstown as the only undefeated team left. Congrats to the Bruins for lasting the longest.

Cant beleive i am seeing the Mac Heat in 4th place with only 4 wins... Its been an up and down season for them with the changes that were trying to be made before the season with ABA and different take overs. They boys rushed a team together 2 weeks out from the comp and its really showing in their results... Its a shame as we've had good teams over the past 15 years and our results have been very consistent up at the top of the competition. Kinda glad I stopped playing after last year as this would've been a real bad season to play as my last...

Any of the bottom 5 teams can make 4th place...
    Last edited by stylin; 05-07-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    Basketball is truly the best sport ever created! Click on me!

Apparently, 4th place means nothing this year. Only top 2 go through.

yeah makes it tough. Especially for Pool A being a strong pool. And Hornsby could finish with 3 losses and not make the top two! Doesn't give you much to play for once you can't make the top two.

It's pretty poor from BNSW to only take top 2 through this year. I don't think you would find many people in favour of it.

Things MUST change next year with the pools. I reckon back to 2 pools - North and South. All the Sydney teams that moan when they have to travel more than a suburb away can suck it up or drop out.

Bankstown v Ryde top of the pool clash this weekend.
    Looks like Newcastle v Tamworth will be a close one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackit View Post
    It's pretty poor from BNSW to only take top 2 through this year. I don't think you would find many people in favour of it.

Things MUST change next year with the pools. I reckon back to 2 pools - North and South. All the Sydney teams that moan when they have to travel more than a suburb away can suck it up or drop out.
    I agree! When i started playing SL we had road trips every weekend! Made the comepetition so much more fun and professional feeling. Whats the point of having a "state league" if your only playing your area?
    Basketball is truly the best sport ever created! Click on me!

Parramatta hand Bankstown their second loss of the season, 69-66, at Bankstown.

SD.

Any meaningfull games this weekend?

In Pool A, Tamworth host Lismore and need to win to keep their Finals hopes alive. Currently the Thunderbolts are 11-5, with Coffs & Crusaders on 12-5. Crusaders host Newcastle (7-10) and Coffs host Port (9-8 ).

In Pool B, Queanbeyan (9-5) and Canberra (9-4) are fighting for 2nd spot - the Gunners travel to Griffith to face the Demons (4-7) on Saturday night and Wagga (11-1) on Sunday, whilst QBN play last-placed Goulburn. The Gunners need to get both wins as Queanbeyan hold the split over them, 2-1.

In Pool C, Hawkesbury (10-4) host Illawarra (11-3) - the two teams met in Rounds 9 & 11, with the Hawks winning both and holding the split, so this is a "dead rubber" but I'll bet it'll still have a bit of intensity in it.

In Pool D, there's a 3-way logjam at the top - Bankstown (11-2), Ryde (11-2) and Hornsby (10-3) are all looking for two spots. The Bruins take on Hornsby at the Brickpit on Saturday at 3pm, whilst Ryde take on the Macarthur Heat (6-7, 4th) at home.
    Being a 3-way jamup, there's a few scenarios:
    If Bankstown & Ryde get wins, then it's Bankstown 1st, Ryde 2nd as the Bruins hold the split on the Bulls (1-1, +11 difference).
    If Ryde win, Bankstown lose, then Ryde 1st, and Hornsby need to win by 3 or more to take the split on the Bruins.
    If Bankstown win, Ryde lose, then Bankstown 1st, Ryde 2nd as the Bulls hold the split on the Spiders (2-0).
    If Bankstown lose and Ryde lose, then Ryde 1st, Bankstown 2nd as the Spiders will only have 1 win in the final washup between the 3...

Good luck to all teams...no second chances this weekend.

SD.

This is turning out to be just like the Hornsby-Illawarra-Crusaders situation in 2010, with 3 grand final calibre teams in the mix & only 2 being able to make the div 1 semis. This is a pity for whoever comes 3rd in pool D once the weekend is over since anyone of these 3 teams is worthy of being there on finals weekend. It would be conceivable that the 3rd best team in pool D would be better then any team from all the other pools. Since BNSW have scrapped the div 2 semis hopefully next year they can look at potentially changing the finals format to the top 3-4 from each pool all having a crack at it. Only having 8 out of the 24-30 teams in SL getting a chance for the finals doesn't seem like a fair ratio when compared to all other levels of Basketball both above & below SL level. I.e. WCL & Youth League both have 6/12 making semis, NBL had 4/9 but next season will be 4/8 making semis. Juniors generally have 4/7 - 4/9 teams also, so 8/24-30 is obviously the lowest ratio. Maybe this just signifies where SL sits on the BNSW totem pole.

Hey everyone.. be sure to fill out the BNSW survey. Link is on the BNSW website.

As I have suggested earlier Bias, having a cross-over section whereby the top 4 from each pool get to play against teams from other pools is a method of getting the top 8 to become your "Division 1".

There would be 4 cross-overs, with the #1 ranked team from each pool getting to play in their own region.

X-Over A: 1st Pool A, 2nd Pool B, 3rd Pool C, 4th Pool D
    X-Over B: 1B, 2C, 3D, 4A
    X-Over C: 1C, 2D, 3A, 4B
    X-Over D: 1D, 2A, 3B, 4C

Each team plays 3 games on the weekend, with the top two teams from each Crossover pool forming the top 8 and hence, Division 1.

Basically if Pool D is as strong as everyone believes then the 3rd and/or 4th placed teams would make it through to Finals weekend and you'd avoid what's happened in the past few years where we've had teams spanking others or getting spanked.

The drawbacks are (unfortunately) having to arrange accommodation for travelling teams for the cross-overs, however there are advantages in terms of game play (we get better finals series) and it's an opportunity for the clubs to face off against different opposition.

SD.

Quote Originally Posted by Skindog the Hawk View Post
    As I have suggested earlier Bias, having a cross-over section whereby the top 4 from each pool get to play against teams from other pools is a method of getting the top 8 to become your "Division 1".

There would be 4 cross-overs, with the #1 ranked team from each pool getting to play in their own region.

X-Over A: 1st Pool A, 2nd Pool B, 3rd Pool C, 4th Pool D
    X-Over B: 1B, 2C, 3D, 4A
    X-Over C: 1C, 2D, 3A, 4B
    X-Over D: 1D, 2A, 3B, 4C

Each team plays 3 games on the weekend, with the top two teams from each Crossover pool forming the top 8 and hence, Division 1.

Basically if Pool D is as strong as everyone believes then the 3rd and/or 4th placed teams would make it through to Finals weekend and you'd avoid what's happened in the past few years where we've had teams spanking others or getting spanked.

The drawbacks are (unfortunately) having to arrange accommodation for travelling teams for the cross-overs, however there are advantages in terms of game play (we get better finals series) and it's an opportunity for the clubs to face off against different opposition.

SD.
    Your method sounds almost perfect on paper & would not be that tough to implement. I'd imagine nearly (if not) every team would support this playoff method & it'd truly give the best teams in SL (and not the pretenders) the opportunity to make the final 8. But we both know since it makes too much sense that it has little to no chance of ever happening.

Coming back to this year's finals - Bankstown lost at Hornsby - do we have a result from Ryde v. Macarthur?

SD.

Ryde beat Macarthur but a dozen or so

What did Hornsby win by?

enough to put Bankstown away for the year, or so I have heard

Quote Originally Posted by soloman View Post
    Ryde beat Macarthur but a dozen or so
    omg ryde won what happen to the francise the sleeping mattress isint he like the go to man who has his own billboard at the gym he plays in ivennever even seen that for a nbl team but this guy is a god in the hood of macarthur wonder why they are shit ryde have boykin in there team who is nearly 50 who can still in this league get 25 in a game

Quote Originally Posted by Daevo View Post
    What did Hornsby win by?
    Didn't matter really. Bankstown only beat Hornsby by 3 in the first matchup so the Spiders only needed to win by 3+ to have the split and get the second spot in the Finals from Pool D.

SD.

Quote Originally Posted by The Unbias Bias View Post
    This is turning out to be just like the Hornsby-Illawarra-Crusaders situation in 2010, with 3 grand final calibre teams in the mix & only 2 being able to make the div 1 semis. This is a pity for whoever comes 3rd in pool D once the weekend is over since anyone of these 3 teams is worthy of being there on finals weekend. It would be conceivable that the 3rd best team in pool D would be better then any team from all the other pools. Since BNSW have scrapped the div 2 semis hopefully next year they can look at potentially changing the finals format to the top 3-4 from each pool all having a crack at it. Only having 8 out of the 24-30 teams in SL getting a chance for the finals doesn't seem like a fair ratio when compared to all other levels of Basketball both above & below SL level. I.e. WCL & Youth League both have 6/12 making semis, NBL had 4/9 but next season will be 4/8 making semis. Juniors generally have 4/7 - 4/9 teams also, so 8/24-30 is obviously the lowest ratio. Maybe this just signifies where SL sits on the BNSW totem pole.

To add onto your point, what makes it even worse is the 3 rounds of pool games, which make it totally unfair for some teams as some teams get more home games.
    For example, Jets draw this year in SL would have to go down as one of the worst in history. Firstly played 2 home games in the first 8, didnt see our home court for ova a month. Jets finished equal 2nd, & missed the semis on the split- 2 wins to Illawarra, 1 to Jets. Problem is tho out of the 6 games played between these 3 teams, Jets had 2 home 4 away, Illawarra 3/3, Lithgow 4/2. We all know its a big advantage to play at home, esp at some associations? For the record, Jets lost 1 game at home, which in the end cost us a semi spot. I Would like to no the win pecentages for the teams in the final 8 at home?
    This exact issue was flagged to bbnsw when the draw came out, & i was told that the draw will turn in your favour next year? Firstly, i doubt that? Secondly, what about this year??????
    I feel that SL should run with 2 pools (maybe 3), if you dont like the travel dont play STATE league. 2 rounds, home & away everything is fair. Or if you persist with 4 pools & 3 rounds, make it top 4, it doent make it so cut throat to make the semis if you have an injury/wedding/strong pool/shithouse draw. Once you make the semis, if your good enough you can win from any position.
    Good luck to all teams in the semi, Illawrra & Lithgow will be tough, they are solid teams. Jets will be supporting Wagga as we traded our 'Turtle' at the start or the year for a washing machine. Its a good washing machine!
    We had a fun year (except for 1 game, where i witnessed one of the lowest acts in basketball NSW history), the upside of not making the semis is we get to head to the snow this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Trailblazer View Post
    To add onto your point, what makes it even worse is the 3 rounds of pool games, which make it totally unfair for some teams as some teams get more home games.
    For example, Jets draw this year in SL would have to go down as one of the worst in history. Firstly played 2 home games in the first 8, didnt see our home court for ova a month. Jets finished equal 2nd, & missed the semis on the split- 2 wins to Illawarra, 1 to Jets. Problem is tho out of the 6 games played between these 3 teams, Jets had 2 home 4 away, Illawarra 3/3, Lithgow 4/2. We all know its a big advantage to play at home, esp at some associations? For the record, Jets lost 1 game at home, which in the end cost us a semi spot. I Would like to no the win pecentages for the teams in the final 8 at home?
    This exact issue was flagged to bbnsw when the draw came out, & i was told that the draw will turn in your favour next year? Firstly, i doubt that? Secondly, what about this year??????
    I feel that SL should run with 2 pools (maybe 3), if you dont like the travel dont play STATE league. 2 rounds, home & away everything is fair. Or if you persist with 4 pools & 3 rounds, make it top 4, it doent make it so cut throat to make the semis if you have an injury/wedding/strong pool/shithouse draw. Once you make the semis, if your good enough you can win from any position.
    Good luck to all teams in the semi, Illawrra & Lithgow will be tough, they are solid teams. Jets will be supporting Wagga as we traded our 'Turtle' at the start or the year for a washing machine. Its a good washing machine!
    We had a fun year (except for 1 game, where i witnessed one of the lowest acts in basketball NSW history), the upside of not making the semis is we get to head to the snow this weekend!

could you please explain what was pne of the lowest acts in nsw basketball history that you witnessed cause i think there are to many to think of every year ive seen so many over the last 20 years could you please share

Quote Originally Posted by everydayballer View Post
    could you please explain what was pne of the lowest acts in nsw basketball history that you witnessed cause i think there are to many to think of every year ive seen so many over the last 20 years could you please share
    Probably the pig from Illawarra wiping blood on a Jets player.

The pools this year were shit house, cant expect anything else from Basketball NSW and the muppets that run the show.
    Troll Alert.