Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Sydney Kings 2012/2013 General Discussion

Default Sydney Kings 2012/2013 General Discussion

Well, for the upcoming season my guess is......

Is it true the JK & A Bose are not comin back??? WTF?
    Cooper....Gooonnee
    Gynes?

Starters
    1. US PG
    2. Ben Madgen
    3. James Harvey
    4. JG if he comes back?
    5. Crosswhite?

Second Unit
    1. Luke Martin
    2. Aaron Bruce
    4. Graeme Dann

While I would hate to see them leave (I've already expressed how awesome it would be to have Madge/Bose/Jules as the nucleus of a great team going forward and with the right bits around them, a playoff contender), it would really be silly of them not to test the waters... I would just hope that if they DO leave, it's to OS and we don't see them suiting up in other NBL team colours...

I like your Crosswhite suggestion, I've been a huge fan of his since his Kings stint and it's good to see him living up to his potential... He's a hard worker and would be good to see him back...

On court, Bruce being back, what he gives, would be good, but there were rumours going around on Hoops (I know, it's Hoops) that he's not the best to be around off court, which is disappointing...

Still not sold on Harvey, some times you just have to cut your losses and if you've had your chance, maybe it wasn't mean to be... He's going to be out most of the off-season...
    Last edited by Nerf Herder; 23-04-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    Tool Herder: Special Projects Team Lead / Mayor of Twatland / Herder of Tools
    The Kings are dead... LONG LIVE THE KINGS!

Harvey is a risk for sure. I doubt anyone would be signing him expecting him to play starter-like minutes.
    On the other hand though, CJ has spent the last few weeks showing us the value of an experienced guy that can come in and shoot the long ball. Harvey stretches defences like few others, and is a good passer.

That's true I guess, but it's a just a matter of staying healthy and actually being able to make those contributions... with a drastically cut short pre-season, a partial 11/12 season before that, I guess I'm just doubting his ability to overcome...

JK and Bose will leave thanks to Kings admin signing that clown Shane Heal on long term. Should have gone with a more experienced coach like Vickerman.

Has Cooper been shown the door or is blaze bandit stating his preference for the team line up?
    How do you shoot the Devil in the back?

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser S?ze View Post
    Has Cooper been shown the door or is blaze bandit stating his preference for the team line up?
    The latter, as there's nothing official yet, Cooper hasn't been re-signed (no-one has really!), but with Shane very vocal about wanting an import PG, you'd think his chances of getting re-signed would be pretty slim...

Okay thanks.

Interesting times for Cooper. I imagine him running around the Waratah won't help his stock with other NBL teams either.

Even with the Kings with Heal not local.
    How do you shoot the Devil in the back?

Yeah, a few more players playing SEABL this season, Gynes playing for Canberra, Coenraad playing for Ballarat, and I could have sworn that was Catron in the pic for Round 5 results, but I guess not...

On a side note, I guess coming home was top of Cadee's list, suiting up for Bankstown in Waratah and top scoring with 24pts with a handy 9assists...

But back to SEABL, Heal tweeted on the weekend that he was watching the Brisbane/Knox game, but I can't see anyone there that would be of interest... The Hoops nerds would no doubt keep throwing Massingale out there, but that's a fairly regular occurrence...

Also on Heal-watch, when asked if Kings fans had any re-signing news to look forward before Free Agent period heats up, he replied "I'm hoping so. Stay tuned. There will be big changes though." so nice and vague, and also shooting down any hope we've had of slipping AJ Ogilvy into our dream line-ups "would be great but no it's not happening" *sigh*

Speaking of Coenraad, I didn't see much of him this season, but he came out with such promise, he didn't really seem to live up to the potential... Is that more Geordie's plan, or I wonder if he'd be ok in a pinch for next season... Decent size to him, nice outside threat...

#justputtingitoutthere

I can understand Khazzouh going to further his career in Europe. He's been playing on losing teams his whole career and I'm not sure if Heal is the right man to be coaching - what did Hammer do to help with the development if Joe Ingles during that wretched year at the South Dragons?

Losing Bose would be disappointing - it was his favourite team growing up and he had a chance to be the league's leading scorer and a big-time player for Sydney in a big-time market.

I'd love to see Sydney become a top team again. But comparing them to Perth (as a yardstick team) they have a long way to go.

Being a double passport holder gives a player huge and many opportunities. overseas. They can both return if not successful.

My scouting report on Coenraad. Decent size, not very athletic or fast. Average to below average defender. Can score big if allowed to take volume of shots but too inconsistent at NBL level to be given that number of shots in a decent team. Handy 7th man type but shows few signs of taking his game to the next level.

Could start in the three for a stacked team looking to fill a hole with a lower value player who can knock down perimeter shots but would be a major downgrade if he was expected to fill Bose's position at the Kings.

Coenraad for Bose? Nerf, what are you smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by Daevo View Post
    Coenraad for Bose? Nerf, what are you smoking?
    LOL... I'm not saying for Bose at all! I was looking forward to having Toly sign for so long last off season to have him come good this season with such potential for growth only to see him depart would be HUGELY painful!

I'm just trying to think of players that might fill some non-star positions, pretty much in a role that FSTOS suggested, but in no way suggesting that he should be a replacement for Toly...

ok, so the longer it goes on without re-signings, the more I'm worried that we've lost both Jules and Toly to OS (although I thought Toly had restrictions on where he could play as a local with his dual passport?) so it really looks like we need to have a look at who is possible to fill those very big holes if needs be...

Probably the first question would be is: Do we try to get Jerai back if Jules isn't returning? He's apparently back in the States, but if he's keen, do we make him the key player now? If he's NOT keen on coming back, well, that's just another big hole to fill

Big guy in the middle: There's not too many options when it comes to quality big guys... Crosswhite not re-signing already is a good sign, but whether that's a negotiating tactic or not, who knows? Otherwise, Nevill? Would he fit, playing style wise?

Finding a replacement for Bose if he goes would be a big problem too... that big scoring punch, solid D with his long reach, and understated rebounding (he would have been third on the team easily?) are all key areas that are hard to find in one individual...

I've just got a bad feeling about this

Should Khazz and Bose decide to do the euro step best case scenario they should be looking at Nevill for the centre spot, If Crosswhite can be also signed also then that would further bolster their front court, with or without Grant next season, or Diamon Simpson if the Kings want to stay big. If not they need to look at a 3/4 import type of guy.

I do think James Harvey would be good to make a play at, though he needs to come off the bench in spurt minutes. That should help with his body breaking down too. coenrad is worth a look, however I feel he might stay with the Hawks, more opportunity there also with Soup retiring, Maybe Everard Bartlett.

I think Heal has stated he wants a US point guard so that leaves Bruce coming off the bench. I would like to see a combo import guard, that way Bruce can run the point, import the 2 and switch Magden to the 3, at least from time to time on the court.

based of these scenarios I see the team looking small (much like it did last season)

Import, Bruce, Martin
    Magden, Coenrad/Bartlett
    Import, Harvey
    Crosswhite, Dann
    Nevill,

with the import playing minutes at PF

or bigger lineup

Import, Bruce
    Coenrad/Bartlett, Martin
    Magden, Harvey
    Import, Dann
    Nevill, Crosswhite
    Last edited by haggard; 26-04-2012 at 11:57 AM.
    Visit Cant Buy a Basket ... and follow us on Twitter @cantbuyabasket

Just call me Trigger ;)

This could be an interesting line-up if you lose Bose and Khazzouh.

Import / L Martin
    Madgen / Harvey
    Barlow / Coenraad
    Grant / Dann
    Nevill / Vanderjact

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer83 View Post

Import / L Martin
    Madgen / Harvey
    Barlow / Coenraad
    Grant / Dann
    Nevill / Vanderjact
    Yeah, I guess it's just a matter of being able to attract players to the team, and with two of our key players/stars potentially going I'm just a bit disheartened that we could draw someone like Barlow back, let alone a Nevill

Call me crazy, but I don't have my spreadsheet in front of me, how were Lang's minutes in Melbourne? I know they were limited, but he was fairly effective, wasn't he? At least not a liability? (actually, looking at his stats now, nevermind lol) I could have sworn he made the trip up when the Kings held their open trials last season, so he might not be locked into a southern state location? He'd be a better option than Vandy?

I certainly wouldn't suggest both Nevill and Crosswhite, both tough big guys that wouldn't play the PF role, and you'd think both would demand serious minutes, especially for the Kings...

I really think, if we can get a quality big, a young guy like Tomlinson (to keep costs/points down, plus have the bonus of a young local returning and hopefully growing that core group for future seasons) would be good and leave us more cap room to really strengthen those SF/PF positions... Harvey and as back up, if healthy, could be ok, but we still need a starting quality SF and PF and with an import slot taken for the PG role, we're relying really heavily on being able to find a quality extra player locally...

It's just incredibly frustrating to see AJ over there not even getting a game, and now not even being on the roster

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer83 View Post

Import / L Martin
    Madgen / Harvey
    Barlow / Coenraad
    Grant / Dann
    Nevill / Vanderjact
    So you think Coenraad would prefer to go the bench as back-up to a (apparently returning) European star in Barlow?

That is, rather than taking some of Matt Campbell's minutes and taking over Saville's spot (probably retiring next year), which spot he was brought into the team to take over?

What are you smoking?

Hell, what am I saying. Paying over the odds for Hawks players has been one of the downfalls of the Kings over the years (never quite worked out that they star at the Hawks by over-performing and playing team basketball and then wonder why they don't perform on their big Kings contracts). But then again, why change a losing strategy. Bring back the Violet Crumbles I say.
    There is a tide in the affairs of men
    Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
    Omitted, all the voyage of their life
    Is bound in shallows and miseries.
    W.S.

LOL... it's funny how people tend to hold onto grudges...

These are all hypotheticals, so you can calm down... CERTAINLY no-one is suggesting that Coenraad would be worth a great deal of money, the fact that he'd be cheap was one of the reasons why he was suggested... If he couldn't demand more minutes over an aging/underperforming Campbell, especially having a pretty significant drop off in output in the final couple of months of 11/12, then maybe he could be interested in a change of scenery/coach, as we never really know what goes on behind the scenes...

If he stays, all well and good, it was just a name that popped up while I was flicking through SEABL results...

Don't worry, I don't think that you need to worry too much about many teams trying to poach the quality of talent the Hawks showed last season...

I don't understand how the name of someone like Barlow keeps on coming up in these NBL threads. Whether he's getting minimal minutes or not, why would a guy like Barlow come back to the NBL when he's getting European bling-bling-dollar-bill-dollar-bills?
    A Stern Warning : NBA/NBL/FIBA.
    And Rise
    : Hoops / Culture / Design / Entertainment.

if he is getting bling-bling-dollar-dollar-bills-y'all, you would think he could afford a haircut.
    Visit Cant Buy a Basket ... and follow us on Twitter @cantbuyabasket

Quote Originally Posted by haggard View Post
    if he is getting bling-bling-dollar-dollar-bills-y'all, you would think he could afford a haircut.
    At the risk of copping the wrath of some posters for being judgemental, from working with a couple of pretty-boy ponces in my time, it's not about the cutting that costs the money, it's the styling... It takes a lot of effort to get that limp, greasy look