Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The OzHoops Awards 2012 - Awards Ceremony

Just call me Trigger ;)

Default The OzHoops Awards 2012 - Awards Ceremony

Good evening and welcome to the 2012 OzHoops Awards Ceremony. Thank you to everyone who voted and to those who didn't who cares.

This year we had 29 different individuals submit votes in one or more categories representing a significant increase on the last few years.

I would like to thank Southern Joe for graciously allowing me to take up the mantle of organising the Awards this season. Thanks also go to Nerf Herder for designing the trophy and Dunkin' Dan for his suggestion of the new categories.

The awards will be announced in a staggered manner, so I hope you will take the opportunity to congratulate the winners and discuss the awards in between announcements.

Where possible at least the top three qualifing vote getters in a category will be recognised. The qualification cutoff is receiving a minimum of three votes.

Each category will have the number of individual voters in brackets next to the award name and each honoree will be displayed with their percentage of the overall vote as well as the number of votes they received in brackets.

Throughout the ceremony Unofficial Awards as nominated by some of the plus members of the board will also be announced.

Without further ado the first round of awards to be announced Wordsmith and Anti-Wordsmith.

Wordsmith (14)

This category achieved the second least number of votes of any category and the majority of early vote returners chose to ignore this category.

For awhile only one person received any votes. As more voting slips were returned a challenger emerged and by the time voting closed the two were deadlocked.

So our first award of the night for the pair of posters who displayed the best grasp of language and with their verbosity enriched The Boards experience.

Stumps & mattic ? 42.86% (6)

The Anti-Wordsmith (16)

This category received only marginally more interest than its opposite but was clear cut from the time voting opened to the time it closed.

It will come as no surprise that this year the person who has butchered language to the point where their posts are unreadable or painful to read is:

everydayballer ? 62.5% (10)

In a very distant second place was:

Southern Joe ? 18.75% (3)

Please feel free to post your comments about the first two awards as you wait for the next round.
    Last edited by Silencer83; 03-01-2013 at 07:01 PM.

No speech! No speech!

Speach! Speach!
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

Smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall.

Which would you prefer? A speech written by everydayballer in the style of Stumps and mattic, or a speech by Stumps and mattic written in the style of everydayballer?
    "I think it's time to discuss your uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavour"

dunno but the detail going into this is sensational! Was about to go down and do some bball training myself, but i might just grab a beer and sit back. How long till the next one?

Quote Originally Posted by meg View Post
    Which would you prefer? A speech written by everydayballer in the style of Stumps and mattic, or a speech by Stumps and mattic written in the style of everydayballer?
    Who do you think would find that harder?

Quote Originally Posted by Cussy View Post
    Speach! Speach!
    Let's just get Funniest OzHo out of the way, shall we?
    Procrastinators Unite Tomorrow

I don't know if Joe is an anti-wordsmith. I think he is just.......anti-words......

Loving the effort and detail silencer . Change my vote for ozho of the year to you +1
    13/14: 4th
    14/15: 31st
    15/16: 125th
    16/17: 33rd
    17/18: 8th Fantasy: 45th
    18/19: 21st Fantasy: 183rd

Back Again? We'll see. Southern Joe's Avatar

I don't know if Joe is an anti-wordsmith. I think he is just.......anti-words......

When it comes to posting - that has been very true of me & not entirely the right thing to do by others. Thus, the dotdtotdots will be a thing of the past. I am usually a fairly well spoken person but I am also a shithouse typist. Thus, my spoonerism manner of typing was once compared to that of Glove's( the OzhO vets will remember him .

I actually would thank DDFan for a very diplomatically worded PM he sent to me about correcting mistakes. The only downside is that because my typing is sort of fast but inaccurate, I take longer to post a reply & therefore sometimes don't even bother posting at all. Long time posters may notice that my posting has decreased over the past year or 2.
    See what happens.

Good luck Derek.

InkSpot Preston Market

btw,

Silencer , great job !!!
    See what happens.

Good luck Derek.

InkSpot Preston Market

Aren't spoonerisms when you say (for example) Juthern So instead of Southern Joe?

I nominate faceandbum for funniest and myself as most knowledgable.

So you're saying he's a Dead Hick?

Quote Originally Posted by joycefan View Post
    I nominate faceandbum for funniest and myself as most knowledgable.
    I'm nominating you as a spastic.

Aren't spoonerisms when you say (for example) Juthern So instead of Southern Joe?
    In a way, yes.

My typing was & always seems to be ( if unedited) one big spoonerism.
    See what happens.

Good luck Derek.

InkSpot Preston Market

that is a exsalant trophy how stupid is joy's fan whos golve?
    As far as we know, we are the first and only instance of the Universe becoming aware of itself. Given long enough, carbon begins to wonder where it came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer83 View Post
    Wordsmith (14)

Stumps & Mattic ? 42.86% (6)
    Honoured.
    As always, for diplomacy and tech support, see Stumps and for a really good swear, see me.
    As far as we know, we are the first and only instance of the Universe becoming aware of itself. Given long enough, carbon begins to wonder where it came from.

You got any foreign swear words ?
    See what happens.

Good luck Derek.

InkSpot Preston Market

This award ceremony is more drawn out than the Oscars.

Just call me Trigger ;)

Okay we are back from a longer then expected break.

The first unofficial award of the night goes to bogut the king of starting inane threads. This picture was kindly donated by one of sponsors to symbolise your award.

A very nice likeness of how we all view you, bogut.

The next round is headlined by those largely unseen presences this past year, the moderators.

So in memoriam.

Best Moderator (20)

In a sign that the community didn't really want to kick them while they were down more people voted in Best Moderator as compared to Worst Moderator.

Wait, that's not correct. Yes, more people voted in best moderator but the winner and I am now told only surviving moderator only just held off a challenge from the little known cousin of Daylight.

Derek ? 35% (7)

Do we have any? - 30% (6)

With just over half a years service before taking her talents to real life, in third place.

Hellcat ? 20% (4)

Worst Moderator (14)

With perennial favourite Skindog The Hawk hanging up his red ink a few years ago this category could have been wide open. However, although a few of our ex-moderators did receive consolation votes there was one clear winner.

All of them ? 64.28% (9)

Given what was revealed in the previous award I think that means Derek can claim the double and we can consign these categories to the dark annals of history.

We now come to the part of the ceremony where we celebrate those amongst our ranks who have shown the greatest improvement or decline in the last 12 months.

Most Improved (18 )

This was a closely contested race with twelve individuals receiving votes but in the end only two passed the requisite three votes.

The most improved posters of 2012 are:

singy, DDFan ? 16.67% (3)

Congratulations and I hope you use this award to spur you on to greater contributions in the future.

Least Improved (The Slider) (19)

The winner of this award built an early lead and was then never headed ending up with twice the votes of his nearest competitor.

In the opinion of the community the person who has slid the furthest is:

mattic ? 31.58% (6)

With second place going to:

joycefan ? 15.79% (3)

Congratulations on defending your title, mattic.

Again apologies for the delay in proceeding but please enjoy the refreshments while you wait and consider yourself lucky that Stumps is not writing these awards or you might never see the end.
    Last edited by Silencer83; 03-01-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Olive color too.

Congrats DDFan, I'll buy the first round!

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer83 View Post
    Again apologies for the delay in proceeding but please enjoy the refreshments while you wait and consider yourself lucky that Stumps is not writing these awards or you might never see the end.
    Are there still contestants stuck in the Ozho Big Brother house or did Stumps eventually release them?

It appears Silencer is.