Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Melbourne Tigers v Sydney Kings - 6/1/13

Quote Originally Posted by RaMarQabLe View Post
    exclusive footage of the chair shot heard around australia!

http://youtu.be/K08nqzfPLoc
    Madgen to face tribunal

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
    Madgen to face tribunal
    Chairperson vs. chair person. Should be interesting.

Smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall.

Is it standard to have a metal legged chair sitting next to the basket behind the base line? I noticed that the chair wasn't tucked in between the support and the advertising hoarding on the corporate box where the broom boys usually sit, but rather right in front of the corporate box. Kind of an accident waiting to happen, really. I don't remember seeing a chair so close to the court line markings before, especially so close to the basket where players are crashing to the ground quite a bit of the time.
    "I think it's time to discuss your uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavour"

I think it was the one the cameraman was sitting on but he was standing at the point.

Was lucky enough to be sitting in a courtside box thanks to winning the Tigers Facebook comp for this one. Loved it.

I thought the spectacle was great. Good to see a sell out and a nice loud crowd for the big rivalry game. They had plenty to cheer for, plenty to boo at and a close result with a home town win. Gotta love that. Especially good to get the good game/crowd with a live tv game.

Dont know how Madgen didnt get a tech. Whether he threw the chair at someone, out of frustration or whatever is not really the point. You cant throw a chair. Period. Just amazing it didnt get a tech. I wouldnt have been surprised to see an ejection, but that may have been a touch far. Certainly a tech though. Seeing a lot of people on Twitter and Facebook seemingly blaming the chair, as if it being there suggests it was asking to be thrown...

Thought the reffing overall was good. Tigers probably got the better of the rest of the calls. Walker did travel, that bump up the court foul on Garlepp was awful.

On that Flynn play where he got blocked, it looked like he took a hit to the chest which is why he ended up spitting out his mouthguard.

Do no agree with (what I can only assume is) Anstey's decision to foul when we were 5 points up and 10 seconds to go. Back your D, make them hit a shot. Dont extend the game, thats what they want. Awful coaching.

Overall very happy with the whole day though!

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    I think it was the one the cameraman was sitting on but he was standing at the point.
    Don't think so; those usually have wheels and this one didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    Don't think so; those usually have wheels and this one didn't.
    In the NBL they haven't had wheels for ages. (At most venues anyway). Hence why the get off the chair to go and gawk at the cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by Cram View Post

Do no agree with (what I can only assume is) Anstey's decision to foul when we were 5 points up and 10 seconds to go. Back your D, make them hit a shot. Dont extend the game, thats what they want. Awful coaching.
    I thought this was odd too. Woolpert did the same thing in a similar situation back when the crocs picked up their first win against radelaide. Maybe both sides are used to needing to foul in these situations?

I think it may have been Scott's call more than Anstey's. They were having a robust discussion about it before Goulding started taking his free throws, and I saw Scott pointing to the scoreboard and trying to convince Anstey to foul. I agree with it in principle (stops them from taking a three), but I disagreed with how early it was taken. Scott (and perhaps a double team) should have tried to pressure the ball being brought up court, and then once they've crossed half court, then foul. The way it happened yesterday only took about 1.3 seconds off the clock, when there was about 9 seconds to go.

The part I was more surprised about was Sydney not immediately fouling Goulding when he received the inbounds pass. I know they ended up stealing it off him (where Chris claimed he almost had his arm ripped off), but that chewed up about 5 seconds and left no time for Sydney to put up a Hail Mary.

BTW, those seats you had were awesome!
    Procrastinators Unite Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    Yes it was the camera man's seat.

Quote Originally Posted by singy View Post

BTW, those seats you had were awesome!
    They were indeed! And full catered! I've been going to games for 20 years as of this year. Probably around 200+ Tigers home games. But finally getting to go corporate was certainly one of the highlights, and so was being able to bring the people I've gone to a lot of those games with - as well as the next generation. Glad the game lived up to it.

Anyone know what the tv ratings were for this game?

Friday night got 24k and I've tweeted Media Week for the Sunday figure.

They were indeed! And full catered!
    I did happen to notice you putting a beer or two away!

Glad you all enjoyed the experience and I'm happy a long-time fan got to enjoy it!

Get on #MadgenMovieTime on Twitter! Some very creative titles coming through!

Back Again? We'll see. Southern Joe's Avatar

Was lucky enough to be sitting in a courtside box thanks to winning the Tigers Facebook comp for this one. Loved it.
    Congrats on that. Those boxes look very nice & , as you said, well catered. Did I see someone get sushi ?? Fark.. nice!!

I thought the spectacle was great. Good to see a sell out and a nice loud crowd for the big rivalry game. They had plenty to cheer for, plenty to boo at and a close result with a home town win. Gotta love that. Especially good to get the good game/crowd with a live tv game.

I thought the crowd were a bit flat early on. It started out pre game quite noisely. The good thing I've always said about The Cage is that it has a nice, clean, compact feel about it. A full house( which is only, what? 4k at the VERY most? ) always sound like its 7 or 8 thou when it gets noisy.

But when we got a run on early on the crowd was a bit flat.

You lot were bringing your team home in the 2nd half once the team got a run on.

Dont know how Madgen didnt get a tech. Whether he threw the chair at someone, out of frustration or whatever is not really the point. You cant throw a chair. Period. Just amazing it didnt get a tech. I wouldnt have been surprised to see an ejection, but that may have been a touch far. Certainly a tech though. Seeing a lot of people on Twitter and Facebook seemingly blaming the chair, as if it being there suggests it was asking to be thrown...
    While I don't condone the chair throw, I can understand why he did it. He was angry at a hard foul & a stupid chair that shouldn't be in that position in the first place.

It is well known that Madgen has had shoulder problems, a hard foul like that has the potential to exacerbate it, & he probably felt his shoulder is getting too much attention in a bid to put him out.

Thought the reffing overall was good. Tigers probably got the better of the rest of the calls. Walker did travel, that bump up the court foul on Garlepp was awful.
    Reffing was almost passable, but they DID let the Tigers get away with plenty of physical play, yet we got quite a few tiggy touch calls against us.

On that Flynn play where he got blocked, it looked like he took a hit to the chest which is why he ended up spitting out his mouthguard.
    I can only say one thing about Flynn... he's only missing a saddle. Biggest show pony seen for quite a while.

Yeah, that was mystifying. Our 3pt % wasn't that flash, & any attempt at that stage of the game is going to be rushed. That said, AB's huge bomb near the end was a beaut!

Overall very happy with the whole day though!
    Even though we din't win, I had a pretty good day as well. I spoke to Heal after his press conference & he didn't seem too down about the result.. he was probably happy that the guys didn't completely fade out & hung tough despite obvious fatigue.
    See what happens.

Good luck Derek.

InkSpot Preston Market

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Joe View Post
    While I don't condone the chair throw, I can understand why he did it. He was angry at a hard foul & a stupid chair that shouldn't be in that position in the first place.

It is well known that Madgen has had shoulder problems, a hard foul like that has the potential to exacerbate it, & he probably felt his shoulder is getting too much attention in a bid to put him out.
    Replay showed there was no foul on that play. Balls did not make any contact with Madgen.

In relation to the position of the chair, most venues have objects near the court, whether they be seats, boxes, cameras, whatever. I think the players realise there's an inherent risk in stepping onto the court. If he ran into a chair for a patron that sits courtside, would it be OK for him to throw that?

If he was indeed frustrated (the Tigers did receive two or three favourable calls - the Garlepp one that Cram mentioned in particular), there's still no excuse to throw a chair, especially in the direction of a ref.

Hanging out with Marwood, drinking wine and quoting Withnail ; )

The chair gave Madgen a hard foul, but not the Tiger. If the cameraman wasn't using the chair it should have been behind him or off the court. Madgen smacked right into it
    Sam Tyler: I think we need to explore whether this attempted murder was a hate crime.

Gene: What as opposed to one of those I-really-really-like-you sort of murders?

Quote Originally Posted by gangsta boo View Post
    The chair gave Madgen a hard foul, but not the Tiger. If the cameraman wasn't using the chair it should have been behind him or off the court. Madgen smacked right into it
    Absolutely! That said, he certainly deserved some sort of reprimand, even though the ref didn't seem particularly bothered.
    "I think it's time to discuss your uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavour"

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Joe View Post
    . Did I see someone get sushi ?? Fark.. nice!!
    OMG I saw someone get sushi the other day too! I stopped him in the street and congratulated him
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

The worst case scenario is probably a suspended sentence and a $500 fine.

That is exactly what he will get.
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

Quote Originally Posted by cussy View Post
    omg i saw someone get sushi the other day too! I stopped him in the street and congratulated him
    hahahahahahahahaha

The camera man should be sacked and the ref not far behind him,, massive foul missed, but wat do u expect when u play the tigers????
    KINGS IN FINALS THIS YEAR BOOK IT!!!!!