Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dante Exum

jazz all-round media monster david locke posted a great interview with exum, hood and snyder overnight - locked on jazz interview

worth listening to the end to hear snyder talk about dante's game and how he plans to use him. really exciting for jazz fans to hear about playing up-tempo, fluid basketball after 4 years of alfense under corbin.

redback - if you want to follow exum closely you could do worse than subscribing to locke's podcast. he's relentless (generally posts daily through the season) and has unrivalled access to the jazz players. he's clearly head-over-heels for dante too.
    Last edited by jesuc jexus; 29-06-2014 at 10:39 AM.

Is anyone else worried that Exum is no where near ready for the NBA or World Championships? I mean, he shot 6/23 and 11/30 in the last couple of games at the Australian High School Championships (I think it was the last two games). Shouldn't he be dominated that kind of competition? I feel like people are going to be quick in labeling him a bust unfortunately.
    James Layup Shot: Missed Block: Bogut (2 BLK)

anyone paying more than casual attention know he's still a ways off. summer league will be really fun.

Pretty great Summer League debut for Dante. Game two today vs Jabari and the Bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by jesuc jexus View Post
    Pretty great Summer League debut for Dante. Game two today vs Jabari and the Bucks.
    Being on the end of an alley oop jam is a pretty good memory to have of your first scoring play

Not concerned about it, but Dante's fitness levels at Summer League have been really below-par. I know he hasn't played competetive ball for 6 or so months, but he's been super gassed. Spending a lot of time puffing with his hands on his hips.

Will play the Jazz's last game tomorrow before leaving on Sunday to fly back for Boomers camp.

Feelow Aussie Brock Motum has played really well for the Jazz too. Talk that he'll get a pre-season spot with someone, at the least.

Ive been impressed by what Ive seen so far. He's better than what I thought. Fitness and conditioning will come later, but even then will probably still struggle at stages in season 1 given the length and demands of the schedule.
    25 seasons as a Wildcats member.

NBL Dream Team FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/NBLDreamTeam

I have a question yo.

Jazz/NBA commentators, when discussing Dante's struggles this season, have been making reference to the fact that before this season, the only league basketball (ie not international stuff) that he's been playing is Australian high school bball - is this the case though? Is there even an Australian equivalent of US high school ball?

What level was he last playing before he took that big pre-draft break? Was he playing rep? Any domestic men's?

Heloooooooooooooooooooo

I wondered the same thing. I think they're just assuming its the high school basketball equivalent in that he'd be playing against High School aged guys in whatever competition he was in. That and Americans dont cope well with stuff thats different from their own so just making it easier for the viewers on ROOT sports.

A lot of people have said good things about Exum's first season, and a lot of experts still rate him highly. Having watched a lot of Jazz games this year though, I'm not sold yet. He looked lost a lot offensively, didnt look to create and mainly stood in a corner jacking threes. I don't know how much of that was instruction from the coaching staff, but I really wanted to see him attack the paint and try to create for himself and others. Even failing at that it would have been good to see that instinct but I rarely saw it. Is that something that can be learned or is it part of your DNA?

Defensively he looks better, and I think he improved heaps from the start of the season to the finish in that department. That end should keep him getting opportunities, and with his age he'll get plenty of chances and he has every chance of becoming a very good NBA player.

JJ, on the Jazz in general you gotta be pretty happy yeah? Burks, Hood, Hayward, Favors and Rudy are a good core to build around with a couple of other guys like Booker and Burke (and Dante) other potential long termers.

The AIS is equivalent to high school in the US, because they are high school aged kids. They are still studying. The difference is that the AIS actually are part of SEABL, so they play against men. I would guess that the standard in SEABL is probably higher than most US high schools, this is a semi professional league, these teams hire imports and have various NBL talent players.

So Exum has played against older players, probably not against teams as good as you'd see at the US college level though.

The problem I see for Exum in Utah is he's playing with a fringe all star that needs the ball in his hands. The reason he's in the corner, where else is he supposed to stand while Hayward has it? 63.5% of his shots were 3PA. Haywards' usage was 26%, Exum was 14%.

Everyone knew his weakness was jump shooting. Running an offense that involved Exum standing in the corner really didn't help his confidence, he shot 31% from three all season.

He really needs to work on his finishing. Nobody has questioned his ability to get to the rim, but he's never really had to finish over legitimate shot blockers. College and NBA level rim protection is surely a few levels well above SEABL.

He's got a lot of work to do over summer, he knows exactly what he needs to work on, I'm expecting him to dominate the ball a lot more than 14% next season.

I know CoE/AIS played 2014 SEABL, but I don't think Exum played?

I think by the time the season started he would've been doing individuals in US in prep for combine, workouts and camps.

I never really followed SEABL, I just assumed that's where the AIS played since day dot. I wonder what they did in 2013?

Thanks for this guys - seems it's still a mystery!

The problem I see for Exum in Utah is he's playing with a fringe all star that needs the ball in his hands. The reason he's in the corner, where else is he supposed to stand while Hayward has it? 63.5% of his shots were 3PA. Haywards' usage was 26%, Exum was 14%.
    A lot of people have said good things about Exum's first season, and a lot of experts still rate him highly. Having watched a lot of Jazz games this year though, I'm not sold yet. He looked lost a lot offensively, didnt look to create and mainly stood in a corner jacking threes. I don't know how much of that was instruction from the coaching staff, but I really wanted to see him attack the paint and try to create for himself and others. Even failing at that it would have been good to see that instinct but I rarely saw it. Is that something that can be learned or is it part of your DNA?
    This is something that has irked Jazz fans all season and the answer is a pretty complex one.

I think it's much less about Hayward demanding the ball and more about Dante knowing his current offensive limitations and playing within them. By all reports Dante is much more aggressive and attacking in practice, but he's still not strong or crafty enough to finish against NBA size and strength and his handle is still lacking in traffic.

As a result, he's been the one to temper his aggressiveness, because to this point he hasn't wanted to try it in games at the expense of the team. It's not a coaching staff directive - there were countless times this past season when you could audibly hear Snyder urging him to attack, but Dante remained incredibly selective (lol) about going to the rim. Though when he did, it was often in a blur of speed that left everyone wondering why it doesn't happen more often.

His defence was good-to-great, depending on the match-up. There were some incredibly encouraging moments - his shutdown of Mike Conley one night really stands out. Other nights he was flayed by the likes of Jordan Clarkson. His length and speed means his potential there is elite. He made this a focus and his improvement on this front is part of why the Jazz were the league's best defensive team after the AS break (Rudy Gobert obviously helped too).

Other notes
    - he played 82 games despite being asked to rest - he clearly struggled physically and mentally with the schedule, but toughed it out. Big tick.
    - he's reportedly a sponge in practice and watching tape. They love him, by all reports.
    - his passing improved as the season went on - see the 12 assist game. His timing and vision to get the ball to Gobert/Favors in traffic was pretty special at times.

Who knows if he'll be a star, but I'm pretty confident that he'll be good once he fills out and his confidence grows. His hoops-brain and length seem like his biggest assets, his poor handle his main weakness right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cram View Post
    JJ, on the Jazz in general you gotta be pretty happy yeah? Burks, Hood, Hayward, Favors and Rudy are a good core to build around with a couple of other guys like Booker and Burke (and Dante) other potential long termers.
    Yeah - good times ahead. Rudy, Favs and Hayward are all pretty awesome. Rudy is just a monster and could be anything really. I think Dante is the key piece in terms of pushing to contend.

Burks and Hood have shown incredible flashes, countered by uncertain durability. Trey hasn't been great, but he works relentlessly and actually responded admirably to coming off the bench.

I love Booker, but I'm not sure he'll be there once the Jazz are pushing into the playoffs. Same for Joe really. There seems to be mutual interest there. The locker room clear-out interviews he did were really interesting.

I'm in agreement with a lot of you about how Dante fared this season. You gotta hand it to Quinn Snyder and his coaching staff in the course of the season. He's got them playing some defense for such a young team that late into the season even as spoilers, where it typically doesn't happen.

Who knows if Exum will turn out to be an All-Star for the Jazz in Salt Lake City. His offensive game is suspect and seeks to work within his limitations to the NBA. But that happens when you're brand new in the NBA. He'll get better with that after a season under his belt. Rudy Goulart, Gordon Hayward, and Derrick Favors are all awesome. But they'll certainly act to be a rising team in the already challenging West. Perhaps next season.
    Jusqui'ici tout va bien...

Shattered and gutted.

Yeah really terrible news for the kid.

It isnt the end of the world though, he's young which means he has plenty of time to come back at 100%. I had my reco at 21 and almost 15 years later have had virtually no issues since.

Was looking forward see him take on the Tall Blacks. Sad. Yeah, Dante's got age on his side.

Dante endured a lost last season in one of the best Utah Jazz's ones in recent memory with ups and downs with his form and game time. Since then, Utah became that much more guard-heavy with Ricky Rubio, Nigel Williams-Goss, Joe Johnson, Donovan Mitchell, Alec Burke, and Rodney Hood. Soon as the Utah Jazz coaching staff led by Quin Snyder challenged him to get better going into his 4th season in the NBA, he's making progress in training after the postseason and playing in the Summer Leagues. Dante's still 21 years old:
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketba...26-gwys9t.html

Wonder could he have made a difference in Rio De Janeiro last summer if he didn't get his shattering ACL injury? Perhaps.

Hey, he did impress at the Utah Summer League game at the University of Utah's John Huntsman Center. This here was just the first game though--and Jonah Bolden, another son of a naturalized American dad who's an NBL legend, did so for Philadelphia:
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketba...04-gx48z1.html

Dante's a key for Utah in this year's playoffs against OKC Thunder as he makes his playoff debut? He certainly is with the Jazz being surprisingly deeper than many people could think going forward. With that 36 per minutes, he averages more points than Ben Simmons, shoots better than Joel Embiid and averages more assists than Tyus Jones. Interesting:
    http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news...l1fo5s4ckne412

Played extremely well in the second half with him and Donovan Mitchell as the only valuable Jazz who can penetrate and get into the paint off the dribble against the Oklahoma City Thunder overplaying them. Needs to improve on his turnovers and missed reads, though, in his 15-20 minutes:
    https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2...tes-in-game-2/

Now Dante giving back to Melbourne basketball that produced him in having an ownership stake with the new South East Melbourne Phoenix with Zach Randolph, Josh Childress, and Al Harrington and majority owner Romie Chaudhari:
    https://www.theage.com.au/sport/bask...19-p52iox.html

Dante--"probrably" ready for his 2019-20 season debut Saturday against Memphis for Utah from his right knee's partially torn patellar tendon and subsequent rehab:
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketb...9de1271e6cf5da

Suited up for Utah Friday night but didn't play in Memphis. But finally played for the first time in 8 months last night against Minnesota (same team he played against the last time on March 14 before sustaining a partially torn patellar tendon in his right knee to shut him down with) when he checked in at 3;16 left in the first quarter to a standing ovation at the sold out Vivent Smart Arena. He wound up playing 14 minutes and had a nice steal that resulted in a dunk, his highlight of the night as he scored two points on 1-of-4 shooting and also came up with a blocked shot. Quin Synder was pleased with Dante's defensive effort. Has to feel good:
    https://www.deseret.com/2019/11/18/2...a-timberwolves
    https://www.sportingnews.com/au/nba/...m1t67oa79blhcb

Now that Exum's back playing, let's see how Aussie NBA experts assess his Utah Jazz standing as a player. He's too talented not to make an impact in games. The Jazz really like him a lot being on their side and plan to give him every opportunity to flourish--and not see that $33 million contract wasted:
    https://www.sportingnews.com/au/nba/...n1t8mc87j39am3
    Last edited by Durbansandshark; 20-11-2019 at 08:18 AM.