Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Sydney Kings 2014/15 Discussion

I imagine Perry and Cadee will play quite a bit together.

OMG so that's the connection. Cotter & FOSOJ nothing else makes sense

So the Daily Telegraph is reporting Childress is tipped to sign with Sydney so that makes things a lot more interesting... Hopefully it works out...
    Tool Herder: Special Projects Team Lead / Mayor of Twatland / Herder of Tools
    The Kings are dead... LONG LIVE THE KINGS!

"Former NBA Scoring Machine" in the title, and then, "Over the course of his NBA career, Childress playe​d 391 games, averaged 9.1 points per game and 4.7 rebounds per game".

Not knocking Childress or his NBA production, but I don't think that counts as a "scoring machine" at the NBA level.

I wonder though, biggest profile NBL import yet?

Might attend more than 1 game this year now.

Childress is a good signing, but it has a similar feel to the Sam Young signing.
    Troll Alert.

He would surely have to be the richest player to have ever joined the NBL? Can't think of anybody else who would have made the money he has.
    Ozhoops March Madness: It's back for 2011! Current bracket here

I think the key difference is that Childress would (if the rumours are true) be here from preseason onwards, which will help a great deal. No idea what his attitude will be so far as playing in the NBL goes, but I'll guess we'll see. After his time in Europe he had some pretty bad things to say about the experience, so I imagine the NBL will be a better experience for him.... money aside.

That's a very good point AngusH, plus he has already been part of a team in FIBA-style ball while playing at Olympiakos. Official announcement here:

http://www.nbl.com.au/article/id/1lm...g1s7dghtnrdyd9

Quote Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
    Perry* / Cadee / Madgen~ / White
    Madgen / Cadee^ / White
    [Import 3]* / Madgen / Ellis? / White
    Garlepp / Duinker / Ellis / [Import 3?]*
    Brandt / Duinker / Garlepp
    I'd like to see:

Perry / Cadee / Madgen / White
    Madgen / Cadee / White
    Childress / Ellis / Madgen
    Duinker / Garlepp / Ellis
    Brandt / Garlepp / Duinker

Do you think Ellis can turn himself into a SF?

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    Do you think Ellis can turn himself into a SF?
    Shame on you Paul, that's disgraceful, I'm not sure he even has a son.
    "Box of Chocolates" OzHo.

Quote Originally Posted by s**tkicker View Post
    Childress is a good signing, but it has a similar feel to the Sam Young signing.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngusH View Post
    I think the key difference is that Childress would (if the rumours are true) be here from preseason onwards, which will help a great deal. No idea what his attitude will be so far as playing in the NBL goes, but I'll guess we'll see.
    Yeah, he's not here to replace someone as the great saviour... He's still being marketed as most credentialed NBA player to play in the NBL etc etc, but reading the press release from the Kings, it sounds like he's a different type of person to Young as well... Sounds like he will be great off the court as well as on it (hopefully). Young was all talk about coming in and "doing whatever needs to be done to help the team win" so fingers crossed it's not all talk this time around...

Pre-season should make a huge difference...

Not sure where Ellis fits in all this... Unless he worked a lot on his quickness in the off-season, I think he might still a bit slow to spend a bunch of minutes at the 3... WIll be interesting to see where Cotter plays him in the pre-season against other NBL teams...
    Tool Herder: Special Projects Team Lead / Mayor of Twatland / Herder of Tools
    The Kings are dead... LONG LIVE THE KINGS!

I don't know that he can turn into a SF, but he might have to play there both to get him minutes as well as to backup Childress, as we don't really have another tall wing on the roster. It's going to depending on matchups, but that's going to be true no matter who we bring off the bench behind Childress when the other options are, what, White and Madgen?

Quote Originally Posted by Stumps View Post
    He would surely have to be the richest player to have ever joined the NBL? Can't think of anybody else who would have made the money he has.
    He'd be sitting on a cool ~$50mil career earnings... Jesus Christ.

Just in the NBA, his salary was approx. $31 Million.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...childjo01.html
    NBL Wishlist

#1: Having the Brisbane Bullets back.

#2: Having the NBL expand to (short term) 12 teams, then to (long term) 14-16 teams.

#3: Having the CORRECT boxscores for every NBL game in history. That way I can FINALLY complete my NBL Archives database! (Yes, quite a few are incorrect, but the league is apparently working on it).

Quote Originally Posted by cobra View Post
    Just in the NBA, his salary was approx. $31 Million.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...childjo01.html
    He was amnestied in Phoenix, so it doesn't list years 4 and 5 which were paid to him. It was a 5 year $34m contract
    Last edited by Clips; 12-08-2014 at 06:52 PM.

NBL "fans" must be some of the most negative sports fans out there. The only thing the people on the NBL's Facebook page are talking about is that he's actually a scrub and not a "star". Oh, another surprise, no mention of the signing from Daniel Eade on Twitter- never mentions anything positive about the NBL.
    James Layup Shot: Missed Block: Bogut (2 BLK)

Career number of bans for making stuff up: 1

What's everyone's thoughts on this team compared to last years? I think this roster could be anything- a lot of unknowns.. Childress is an interesting one- could be 26 and 8 every night

People on NBL Facebook are dickheads. Childress had a lot of promise as a 1-2 punch with Josh Smith in his early ATL days. He tapered off a bit toward the end of his rookie contract (as Horford was taking off), and 5 whole guaranteed years from Phx was a bit of a head scratcher, but he was definitely a serviceable player who was amnestied because of his contract, not because he didn't belong in the league.

Paul can probably fill in the gaps on his time in Europe.

Edit 26 and 8 every night is a bit of a stretch tho

It's best just to ignore the inferiority complex crew. It's relatively common in Australia for some people to think things in this country are shite compared to overseas. In my experience many of them don't have any real experience with the overseas organisation/business/club etc they're talking about.

Anyway, Childress. He was inconsistent but on his night he was a very good NBA scorer when at Atlanta. In Europe he struggled somewhat his first year but figured it out his second season and was a very very good player - I think much tougher mentally and physically than the NBA version.

If he can get fully fit and committed to the cause you would hope he can rekindle some of his old form, but there has to be a question mark about whether his best is past him. Hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by lawzy82 View Post
    What's everyone's thoughts on this team compared to last years? I think this roster could be anything- a lot of unknowns.. Childress is an interesting one- could be 26 and 8 every night
    I don't know, I don't think he's going to be an explosive scorer based on what I've seen from him the past couple of years (which isn't much obviously), but I think he's going to contribute all over the court.

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    If he can get fully fit and committed to the cause
    That's the key. He needs to be here as soon as possible and show he's committed to playing and training as hard as he can and get established in the group. If he is then he certainly has enough ability to be a big contributor.
    If he's coming for a holiday then it could be a bust

I think a lot will come down to the shape/fitness Childress is in, but more importantly how much he wants it and how hungry he is.

Sam Young looked like he was just here for a pay cheque and never really seemed to get out of 3rd gear.

While I'm a bias Wildcats fan, I think it is a better idea to chase players wanting to make the NBA over those that have already had their time.

Childress posses enough skill, but I think it's going to come down to his drive and off-court aspects as a leader that will determine how far this Kings team can go.
    No Signature.

A very good signing for the Kings aside from his NBA credentials he lead the Greek league in scoring at Olympiacos his 2nd season there too but I think will play more a Pippen type role in the NBL rather than be a flat out scorer despite averaging 9ppg in his 8 seasons in the NBA. Better player than Sam Young.

The Kings will certainly be hoping Josh turns out better than Randolph though
    "Human beings, as a species, have no more value than slugs"

John Davis (editor, Earth First! Journal)

Oh, nice flashback! That's one from the vaults!