Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Sydney Kings 2014/15 Discussion

I 'fess, I'm a youtube tragic, forever in awe of musical talent, utter respect for those doing it tough, & absolutely astounded by the improvisation shown by this street performing kid in Pitt St, Sydney.
    I don't get out much, but I'm blown away by the kid. Does anyone else feel that he'd be worth contacting to have a go at rock'n the stadium at a Kings home game? I urge you to youtube search, "Best Drummer Ever [HD]", or if mods allow this link, then:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqJdzYY_Fas
    "Box of Chocolates" OzHo.

Childress to study business at Sydney University whilst at the Kings: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...572ede6e705bb5

Already has a degree in sociology from Stanford by the way.
    James Layup Shot: Missed Block: Bogut (2 BLK)

The more I read about him (sure, there's a lot of spin on a bunch of it) the more I like the sound of him and think he'll be a great fit... Hopefully he's fit (I vaguely recall reading a post somewhere that there was a pic of him in a moon boot a month or so ago?) and healthy and ready to go when he gets in in two weeks...

HOPEFULLY that's just in time for the Gosford camp... Would be great to have a full compliment (yes, even if that means SOJ is part of the team) right from the start of training camp...
    Tool Herder: Special Projects Team Lead / Mayor of Twatland / Herder of Tools
    The Kings are dead... LONG LIVE THE KINGS!

Have to respect a guy who has earnt a ton of money but is still interested in an education.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusH View Post
    Have to respect a guy who has earnt a ton of money but is still interested in an education.
    And helping others get one too, through his foundation...

SOJ playing some minutes for the Kings tonight in their 100-86 win over Hartford tonight. Putting that together with some other rumours and I think he'll be getting himself a roster spot with us this season..

Great to see Kev (21 points) & Tommy (30 points) having very solid offensive games tonight, especially great to see Kev shooting without hesitation. Duinker looking athletic (18 points 11 rebounds) throwing down a monster tip jam. Madge seems to be a little off with his shot but seeing as he's one of the guys not playing state league, he'll get back into rhythm soon. I think we can lock Brandt in for rookie of the year now. Strong under the ring and a very good mover, can extend his shot out to the 3pt line as well.

Ben Kearins, Nic Pozocoglu & Madol Chol from Penrith training with the team tonight, along with Janes Trustum from the Central Coast. Trustum & Chol got a little bit of game time towards the end.

If Kev can get that outside shot dropping this season and not be hesitating, along with his already pretty good D, he'll be a very valuable bench player... He's just got to mentally make that step up from Waratah to NBL...

I was listening to the Kings Radio when Duinker did that tip jam, I reckon Matt's head nearly exploded it sounded that good... Really hope someone was filming to get some training footage and they put it up somewhere...

What's everyone's thoughts about the lineup compared to last year?

Kinda get the feeling we're not as strong with the Aussie content?

Just call me Trigger ;)

Quote Originally Posted by showtime View Post
    What's everyone's thoughts about the lineup compared to last year?

Kinda get the feeling we're not as strong with the Aussie content?
    I think you are pretty similar or a bit stronger with your aussie content.

Ogilvy is your only major out with Brandt (RotY contender), Duinker (Europe), Cadee (fringe Boomer of the future, still very young), Joyce (desperate to prove he belongs 10th man) coming in.

Cadee is better than a crippled Harvey, Brandt/Duinker should be equal to or slightly better than Ogilvy/Allen on balance and you lose nothing with Joyce replacing Gleeson (who barely played anyway).

I agree with most of your assessment Silencer but I'd take Hill over Joyce, although he hardly played anyway.

Just call me Trigger ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Daevo View Post
    I agree with most of your assessment Silencer but I'd take Hill over Joyce, although he hardly played anyway.
    I knew I must have missed someone because I was sure you had 11 players last year

Much better balance this year in the australian talent as well; you actually have a backup guard worth playing

Who is this "you" of whom you speak?

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer83 View Post
    Brandt/Duinker should be equal to or slightly better than Ogilvy/Allen on balance.
    That's a big call for me. Ogilvy's impact last year was underrated in my opinion. Led the league in rebounding and blocked shots. Efficient offensively (4th in TS%, 21.8 PER) despite being criminally underused (usage = 20.9%) by Heal and the Sydney guards.

If Brandt and Duinker as a duo match his production then Sydney should be very happy.
    Born ready.

Just call me Trigger ;)

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rich View Post
    That's a big call for me. Ogilvy's impact last year was underrated in my opinion. Led the league in rebounding and blocked shots. Efficient offensively (4th in TS%, 21.8 PER) despite being criminally underused (usage = 20.9%) by Heal and the Sydney guards.

If Brandt and Duinker as a duo match his production then Sydney should be very happy.
    Well if you are going to bring stats into it

Just kidding, but what you aren't factoring is the net negative that Ben Allen was in that partnership

Averages can be misleading. I thought AJ started the season with a bang but finished it with a fizz. Whether that was disillusionment over being used poorly by the coach or what I don't know but when a player of his size & ability puts in full games with just a handful of rebounds then you start thinking his heart isn't in it.

I recall thinking in the game against Wollongong when he got only 1 (offensive) rebound in 32 minutes of court time that maybe they should put Ben Allen on since at least he grabs the ball off the boards now & then even if it is only to avoid it hitting him on the head.

AJ was not a tremendous low post scorer, but for all the talents he does have, he wasn't utilised properly in an offense that was pretty much built to get shooters open on the perimeter. Once Young came on board, it got worse for AJ as far as touches, and the effects of that trickled down into the rest of his game too.

Early signs have me thinking Duinker/Brandt is an upgrade for us in the frontcourt overall, and you'd think Childress will be an upgrade over Young, even if he doesn't score like Young did. Sanders was underrated as a PG (if not as an import), so we'll have to see as far as Perry goes. My gut feeling is that we will be better than last year, but the same is true of a few other sides, too.

There is no doubt he tailed off the 2nd half of the year, and it doesn't reflect that well on him that his D and rebounding fell off once his touches dropped away.

But.... he was a credible MVP candidate at the halfway point of the season. As a witness to Paul Rogers in his prime, I couldn't help but see the similarities. Why Heal didn't funnel the offense through him is still puzzling to me.
    Born ready.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rich View Post
    There is no doubt he tailed off the 2nd half of the year, and it doesn't reflect that well on him that his D and rebounding fell off once his touches dropped away.

But.... he was a credible MVP candidate at the halfway point of the season. As a witness to Paul Rogers in his prime, I couldn't help but see the similarities. Why Heal didn't funnel the offense through him is still puzzling to me.
    It doesn't reflect well on him, but at the same time with a lot of guys the more time they've got the ball in their hands, the more confident and assertive they play, especially bigs.

Heal just wasn't a very versatile coach. He had a system and guys had to find their opportunities in that system, which might be fine if you're coaching a reps squad, but at this level you should be able to tailor your system to fit your players. Even Young - he was unstoppable in the post and had an inconsistent jumpshot, yet most of his touches began with him getting the ball either behind or just in front of the arc. They did run some backscreens and cuts for him, but I don't recall many times when he actually was sent to the block to post someone up.

I guess Brad Hill more than anyone is the best example though. He's not an all-world talent or anything, but IMO he is a quality NBL-level wing, yet Heal couldn't find a use for him.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusH View Post
    Heal just wasn't a very versatile coach. He had a system and guys had to find their opportunities in that system, which might be fine if you're coaching a reps squad, but at this level you should be able to tailor your system to fit your players. Even Young - he was unstoppable in the post and had an inconsistent jumpshot, yet most of his touches began with him getting the ball either behind or just in front of the arc. They did run some backscreens and cuts for him, but I don't recall many times when he actually was sent to the block to post someone up.

I guess Brad Hill more than anyone is the best example though. He's not an all-world talent or anything, but IMO he is a quality NBL-level wing, yet Heal couldn't find a use for him.
    I always thought it was strange that while Heal was so determined to use Hill as a PF rather than a SF, he would use Young, who was bigger and stronger than Hill, almost exclusively as a perimeter player.

AJ has been in a number of situations now where he just hasn't been tough enough or worked hard enough to maintain his output. He isn't a real low post force, but he has excellent touch, as a moving target after a ball screen he is very good, and he can crash the o-boards exceptionally well.

While Heal didn't use him perfectly by any means, my take was once teams took away his first options AJ just didn't work hard enough to get touches in other ways. Defensively, he blocked shots and boarded, but he wasn't a monster in there, and that's an area he needs to improve too.

His season was a disappointment for mine, same story as the rest of his career, the talent to produce superb performances but not the toughness and workrate to do it consistency.

I don't think I've seen a 'big' receive as many cheap shots from rival players as AJ, even from the start of the season.
    He got smacked so many times off the ball it wasn't surprising he went missing late in the season.
    Not sure why the refs didn't give him the standard respect they should give any player but they seemed to collectively take a blind eye to the treatment handed out to AJ game by game.
    No matter who you are, I think you would get a bit gun shy in the paint if every trip brought you another beating.
    It was even stated in some posts that AJ had a soft reputation and that may have been why he didn't get the protection he deserved from some of the League's best cheap-shot artists.

from another site

The final spot in the squad of ten contracted players has gone to 27 year old guard Daniel Joyce, an experienced playmaker who has already seen action in 103 NBL games and in the 2008/09 season averaged a career-high 8.7 points per game for the Gold Coast Blaze.

Joyce played nine games for Sydney in the team's 2012/13 campaign, coming into the squad as an injury replacement for James Harvey, and helped the Kings reach the playoffs for the first time since 2008.

More recently he has been playing well in the second-tier SEABL competition for the Canberra Gunners and will provide versatility, athleticism and a solid defensive mindset, adding depth to a quality backcourt rotation that includes exciting import Kendrick Perry and recent national squad members Ben Madgen and Jason Cadee.
    And the development players have been named:
    Madol Chol (development)
    Ben Kearins (development)
    James Trustum (development)
    Nic Pozoglou (train-on)

Gee, those guys on Hoops are quick with a copy & paste of a 4 day old announcement

Perry is looking the goods vs Goyang Orions. Very fast and a good finisher, but more encouragingly has also knocked down some 3s.

Cody Ellis looking good around the basket too.