Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sydney Kings 2014/15 Discussion

Back Again? We'll see. Southern Joe's Avatar

Sydm Sydney Kings 2014/15 Discussion

OK ... we are outta the title race.

We have 3 contracted players so far .... & we need a coach( Read: A good coach !!! )

IMHO ... once we lock in a new coach... then we can get a seriously good roster for next year.

Discuss.....
    See what happens.

Good luck Derek.

InkSpot Preston Market

Kings will win every game in 2015 and win the title

Discuss.
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

Just call me Trigger ;)

You have 4 contracted players.

/
    Madgen/
    /White
    Garlepp/Ellis
    /

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer83 View Post
    You have 4 contracted players.

/
    Madgen/
    /White
    Garlepp/Ellis
    /
    According to ATF, Ellis has the option for the 2nd season and it hasn't been taken up yet...
    Tool Herder: Special Projects Team Lead / Mayor of Twatland / Herder of Tools
    The Kings are dead... LONG LIVE THE KINGS!

The Kings seem to be permanently in rebuilding mode, at least since their return to the league.
    I thought they had settled on a good group this season, but then they tried a mid-season re-tooling (they certainly got a tool) that obviously backfired.
    After they get their coach I would like to see them pick up some players who they can keep in the program for a while.
    They have a couple of good pieces in Madgen and Garlepp, and it would be good if they could try and keep Ellis. Grab a few journeyman players and go after a couple of good experienced imports (one like Conklin maybe - certainly of that style of player).
    What about trying to pick up someone like Luke Devlin - Sydney kid who has finished up playing college ball at Albany in the US. He will be a project and certainly wouldn't be getting top money. But four years in a Div 1 college program has to count for something.
    Then try and keep the group together (at least the core of it) - and that doesn't mean signing them all to multi year deals at the outset.

The scary thing is that if the don't get a coach soon the Management group will select THEIR own team. Maybe they will continue to interfere anyway. The Hawks like the Wildcats have built over the long term a core group that are constantly under an improvement regime.

Luckily someone there had the presence of mind to snap up Kevin White before the free agent frenzy around him kicked in.

When Heal announced that he was not going to reapply my initial thoughts were that it increased the chances of Brad Hill staying in Sydney (having fallen completely out of Heal's rotation) and decreased White's chances of staying, as it appeared that Heal saw something in him few others did. Was this another contract which was signed off before the player knew Heal was not going to be the coach?

Career number of bans for making stuff up: 1

Kevin white is with out doubt the shittest player I have ever seen. He offers nothing, looks scared when he dribbles, doesn't want to shoot when wide open and is just plain shit.

We need to start with an import PG and bloody good one at that. With the marquee player rule all but signed off for next season I think we need to throw all the coin at a good PG. We have not had a good PG over past 3 seasons.

I am worried about next season as it seems we are rebuilding again

Just call me Trigger ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
    According to ATF, Ellis has the option for the 2nd season and it hasn't been taken up yet...
    The same ATF that reported that he was going to sign with Perth imminently last off season?

Anyhow I'll swap you Wagstaff for Ellis

[late edit] It was a team option that has now been taken up - http://www.sydneykings.com/article/i...51r5b91whaxo48
    Last edited by Silencer83; 25-03-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Lol... Wags is a free agent, we'll just take him, thanks
    Tool Herder: Special Projects Team Lead / Mayor of Twatland / Herder of Tools
    The Kings are dead... LONG LIVE THE KINGS!

Just call me Trigger ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
    Lol... Wags is a free agent, we'll just take him, thanks
    At the time when I posted you were suggesting that Ellis might be too

Quote Originally Posted by jjj View Post
    The Kings seem to be permanently in rebuilding mode, at least since their return to the league.
    I thought they had settled on a good group this season, but then they tried a mid-season re-tooling (they certainly got a tool) that obviously backfired.
    After they get their coach I would like to see them pick up some players who they can keep in the program for a while.
    They have a couple of good pieces in Madgen and Garlepp, and it would be good if they could try and keep Ellis. Grab a few journeyman players and go after a couple of good experienced imports (one like Conklin maybe - certainly of that style of player).
    What about trying to pick up someone like Luke Devlin - Sydney kid who has finished up playing college ball at Albany in the US. He will be a project and certainly wouldn't be getting top money. But four years in a Div 1 college program has to count for something.
    Then try and keep the group together (at least the core of it) - and that doesn't mean signing them all to multi year deals at the outset.

Problem with trying to keep a core group is that if that core doesn't take the program in a forwards direction .... the immediate thought is to rebuild.. this esp. happens with a high expectation franchise like the Kings.

Corporate $$ and the like hinges on success... so its easy to see where a trigger will be pulled quicker when success elides.
    See what happens.

Good luck Derek.

InkSpot Preston Market

Quote Originally Posted by lawzy82 View Post
    Kevin white is with out doubt the shittest player I have ever seen. He offers nothing, looks scared when he dribbles, doesn't want to shoot when wide open and is just plain shit.
    Bullshit.

While not as talented as some... he works damn hard & is great on D.

Quote Originally Posted by lawzy82 View Post
    We need to start with an import PG and bloody good one at that.

Yes.... because signing players is just like that CPU acceptance mode on NBA2k14.... meaning whoever we approach will fall over themselves to sign.

I'd say if Jesse Sanders doesn't stay( which I have a feeling he will) ... I'd like to see if Damo could be persuaded to live and work in a real capital city .

With the marquee player rule all but signed off for next season I think we need to throw all the coin at a good PG. We have not had a good PG over past 3 seasons.
    Huh?

Post the article that states this.

Then show how it will be paid for without going broke.
    See what happens.

Good luck Derek.

InkSpot Preston Market

Career number of bans for making stuff up: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Joe View Post
    Bullshit.

While not as talented as some... he works damn hard & is great on D.

Yes.... because signing players is just like that CPU acceptance mode on NBA2k14.... meaning whoever we approach will fall over themselves to sign.

I'd say if Jesse Sanders doesn't stay( which I have a feeling he will) ... I'd like to see if Damo could be persuaded to live and work in a real capital city .

Huh?

Post the article that states this.

Then show how it will be paid for without going broke.

Works hard on D? So what, that makes up for the 10 other things he can't do on a Bball court? The guy is a liability out there and is not up to this level simple as that.

We need a high quality import PG not named Jesse sanders. We need someone who can hit a perimeter jumper, get to the rim and get big buckets. 3 things sanders can not do.

And marquee player rule? Mate, I'm not going to go find it for you, go look your self. It was on the nbl podcast with the CEO about 4 weeks ago, his wording was along the lines of " the marquee player rule like the a league is all but finalized"

Show how it will be paid for?? Not my job to work it out but it's going to happen and I can't see how this is a bad thing.

Have to agree that Kevin White is a hack. Heal seemed to have an affinity for certain players who didn't seem to offer much.

Just call me Trigger ;)

Realistically White's contract won't be taking up much cap room so it hardly hamstrings recruitment.

In a good coaches rotation he is a 10th man who can play spot minutes at three positions (similar to what U'u has done for the Wildcats this year).

Sanders was more the Kings best defender - he was basically Mr. Hustle, probably our strongest rebounder, and only Young finished better at the basket. You can absolutely win with Sanders as your import PG but your other players have to compliment his skillset - the other import, most importantly. Sanders/Carmouche backcourt didn't work because Carmouche was an inconsistent shooter who also struggled to finish inside due to his slight frame. Sanders/Young wasn't great either because Young was an inconsistent shooter (though far better than Carmouche), but if you slide Young to the 4 spot and have a 3 with range, it works.

The problem with the Kings this year was not lack of shooting at PG, but untimely lapses on both ends of the court, bad turnovers, and a gameplan that was too rigid and focused on getting perimeter players shots rather than taking advantage of the different skillsets on the roster.

Kev White is a quality defender but he just plays too timid on offense, and even when he does take the open 3 - something he is hesitant to do even when wide open - you can see he thinks about it before firing it off. I'm sure at any other level he's probably a great shooter, but he just thinks himself right out of the game at the NBL level. Handy guy to have for defensive possessions, still.

angush, agree with your comments re Sanders.

I believe he is worth keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer83 View Post
    Realistically White's contract won't be taking up much cap room so it hardly hamstrings recruitment.

In a good coaches rotation he is a 10th man who can play spot minutes at three positions (similar to what U'u has done for the Wildcats this year).
    I agree. 10th man may as well go to a local guy with a good work ethic. If I was a Kings supporter I would be more worried about the Ellis signing. I saw little from him at either end of the court other than an OK 3 point shot even to justify the playing opportunity that he was given. Hill gave more in his occasional minutes but Ellis was obviously one of Shane's favourites. Of course he may be an 8th 9th rotation guy in the Kings future plans. I'd be surprised if he amounts to more than that. Too slow for a 3 man and not strong enough and no inside game for a 4. His best upside might see him end up as a poor, poor mans Oscar Forman.
    Last edited by fan since the old snakepit; 26-03-2014 at 05:21 PM.

In hindsight I think the worst thing that could've happened to Ellis was him being so hot from beyond the arc his first couple of games, because that didn't continue and he didn't look for much else. He also missed half the season, so I think it's a decent gamble bringing him back.

I think Heal was a bit too keyed on having 3pt shooters on the court, because Hill may not have had a great season overall, but I don't think he deserved to have his minutes essentially eliminated once Ellis joined the team.

Smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusH View Post
    Sanders was more the Kings best defender - he was basically Mr. Hustle, probably our strongest rebounder, and only Young finished better at the basket. You can absolutely win with Sanders as your import PG but your other players have to compliment his skillset - the other import, most importantly. Sanders/Carmouche backcourt didn't work because Carmouche was an inconsistent shooter who also struggled to finish inside due to his slight frame. Sanders/Young wasn't great either because Young was an inconsistent shooter (though far better than Carmouche), but if you slide Young to the 4 spot and have a 3 with range, it works.

The problem with the Kings this year was not lack of shooting at PG, but untimely lapses on both ends of the court, bad turnovers, and a gameplan that was too rigid and focused on getting perimeter players shots rather than taking advantage of the different skillsets on the roster.

Kev White is a quality defender but he just plays too timid on offense, and even when he does take the open 3 - something he is hesitant to do even when wide open - you can see he thinks about it before firing it off. I'm sure at any other level he's probably a great shooter, but he just thinks himself right out of the game at the NBL level. Handy guy to have for defensive possessions, still.
    This, pretty much. I think Sanders is a keeper. The criticism of him reminds me very much of the same directed at Damo when he was with Western Sydney. With support from his coach, and some bloody hard work, he's tuned into one of the greats of the league. I think Sanders is a player of similar calibre, but it depends how he's used (and whether he can play a whole season)
    "I think it's time to discuss your uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavour"

Smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall.
    "I think it's time to discuss your uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavour"

I get worried about Brian's name being floated as the Kings coach. Fans deserted them after their 3-peat, (and their rosters sent them bust) like the Titans before, and Dragons afterwards. Anyone else have those concerns?
    The target has to be Bevo.

Sanders - He's 24, was keen and put in the effort. I say keep him and tell him to go away and work on his shot. He's only young and he is a pro athlete so I think it is doable. He was capable on D, could find the open man and could get to the ring.

Young - Do not even contemplate TRYING to lure him back. Lacked interest and gave off a "what the hell am I doing here" vibe....

2nd import. Kings should chase that Ranga from NZ Wilkinson. He's a knob, but at least then he will be OUR knob.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock View Post
    The target has to be Bevo.
    *Family settled in WA
    *Massive interest from China
    *Whisper of interest from D League with the associated foot in the door to the NBA
    *General stench of the organisation making the decisions, not the coach

There's going to have to be a looooooot of 0's on the end of the number. The inclination hasn't been for that to happen

Bevo will not be the Kings next coach.