Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wollongong Hawks 2014/15 Discussion

Wolm Wollongong Hawks 2014/15 Discussion

Might as well get this started now to beat the rush on Sunday.

Who do they keep? Has Clarke got Euro prospects, or a passport? He is funny-looking, maybe he has some Latvian in him?
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

I was thinking this thread could have been called

"So what now for the Hawks?" haha

I think they have the right pieces to go further, it just sucks they had a tough first round draw against the toughest team in the competition last season!

Not sure that the Hawks need to add all that many pieces to their current squad, nor could they afford to.

Ideally, someone a little more consistent than Coenraad would be good - for me he misses a few too many open good looks that he really should make.

Every team just about you think would be after Clarke - though apparently he really likes Wollongong - he doesn't like big cities, and has already said that there is no way he would want to play for Sydney as he doesn't like the place. Hopefully he'll come back next season. If not, I'm sure Gordie will find someone - his record ain't bad - McKee, Erven, Clarke.

Tiggs you would want to keep as well - the first few games I thought he was just average but as the season has gone on he has just continued to improve. Great last minute signing too, seeing as their original import demanded a double in wages after 2 (albeit very impressive) trial games.

Apart from that, the Hawks just have a fantastic team mentality. You couldn't see other teams falling over themselves to sign the likes of Gruber, but he is just mega important to the team (and my current fave!)

Cheeky thread... things can change quick though, so I'm not getting ahead of myself!

I think Tiggs is a keeper but unfortunately Clarke needs to move on to build his career. First pick is Gruber, R Martin has a 5 year deal but has to turn up every game and stop dawdling around, Coenraad has shown enough to hang around. Watch him off the ball to understand his worth. Demos is a monster on "D" but gives up shots he can make far to often. He is definitely part of the family and does put female bums on seats.

Foreman was a key to the teams late season run and just has to stay. This leaves Davidson who is a great talent but injury prone. His lost time over the last 3 seasons has hurt the Hawks. Wollongong loves him but perhaps he has to go. Counting Tiggs, this numbers a strong core of 6.

Needs are a strong Centre (4/5) And a Clarke clone. The Hawks I'm guessing will have to find survival money once again and the dollar limitation will dictate the quality of the replacements.

Bleedingly obvious that rebounding is the biggest weakness with the Hawks. By far the worst team in this area. You just have to shoot the lights out on most nights to get the W when you are being smashed on the glass. Fortunately that happened enough at the end of the season but is very difficult to sustain. Davo is still a very savy player but was never a great rebounder and injuries seem to have taken their toll in his ability to score and rebound. Gruber works his butt off on the boards and had a fantastic season but is undersized and Forman is no monster either. Clarke is lucky to get any unless they fall I his lap while Martin is certainly nowhere near his Perth namesake in the hustle stakes.

The question is whether the poor (that's putting it nicely) rebounding is mostly due to Gordie's junked up zones or just the personnel in the team.

It is also very difficult to address as they need a combo guard shooter as an import and if one shoots anywhere near as well as Clarke and could defend or rebound he isn't going to be in the NBL for the money the Hawks have on the table.

Second problem is individual defence and again it takes all of Gordie's smoke and mirror tricks to hide the many deficiencies there (notably Clarke an, Forman and Coenraad)
    Last edited by fan since the old snakepit; 02-04-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointybits View Post
    I think Tiggs is a keeper but unfortunately Clarke needs to move on to build his career. First pick is Gruber, R Martin has a 5 year deal but has to turn up every game and stop dawdling around, Coenraad has shown enough to hang around. Watch him off the ball to understand his worth. Demos is a monster on "D" but gives up shots he can make far to often. He is definitely part of the family and does put female bums on seats.

Foreman was a key to the teams late season run and just has to stay. This leaves Davidson who is a great talent but injury prone. His lost time over the last 3 seasons has hurt the Hawks. Wollongong loves him but perhaps he has to go. Counting Tiggs, this numbers a strong core of 6.

Needs are a strong Centre (4/5) And a Clarke clone. The Hawks I'm guessing will have to find survival money once again and the dollar limitation will dictate the quality of the replacements.
    It is not a done deal that clarke will leave. He really likes the city of wollongong as does his fiancee. He has an aversion to the bigger cities. So if the money is there or thereabouts he is likely to prefer Wollongong to any other place in the NBL.
    He has said himself he has enjoyed his time. I think the key thing is that the retention team speaks to him/his agent early on and work out the expectations. Previously this has been left late. It doesn't help that the club's CEO left his job the week before the playoffs, to take up a position with a local church.
    I had thought Clark was an automatic loss but the players and Hawks people i have spoken too have a quiet confidence that he could be retained, which is nowhere near a done deal but Clarke of all people I have seen is not one to be totally governed by money alone. He values quality of life. So there is some degree of hope.
    I think Tiggs is also a good quality import, off the court and on it. If he could be retained it would be far from the worst outcome. He has done himself a lot of favours this season. He had such a poor start and looked like a real scrub early on but he fitted into McLeod's system and became an integral part of it. I would like to see him develop his outside shot to make the drives even more effective.
    The main core is a good group. Essential to recruitment would be an Aussie big, but then just about every team (adelaide excluded) would probably want that. Harris Tunks has the size but is just ineffective, and Dom Cooks has been severely hampered by injury (but i still have a memory of that ugly shot). To be more effective, and push deeper into playoff contention, the Hawks need to improve depth, but once again the budget will be crucial, and this year on top of everything there must be some doubt over the relationship with major sponsor Wollongong Coal - formerly NRE - which has endured major company changes this season.

and now I think it just got harder to re-sign Clarke

The 2013/14 NBL is done and dusted and congratulations to Perth both for there season record and a decisive win in the grand Final series.
    Lessons learnt for the Hawks is that our Aussie contingent is talented but just not big enough. McLeod mentioned this after our plucky semi final involvement . Perth have both size (height & width) along with a determined attitude.
    Wollongong has finesse and an amazing understanding of each and every game plan and often as not stuck to them. The coaching staff are second to none in scouting out opposition player and plays.
    Tiggs retuning would shore up the 3 but would need at least 1 more year to mature into the teams methods and needs. Since his arrival as a hairy arsed kid Martin has bothered me. Yes he has improved a great deal but he is a long way from a dominate guard. Gruber fits the must have mould, Foreman a good steady player but is good steady enough.

Money will keep a lid on the chances of strengthening the team but we can only wish for a Greg Hire plus a big, big and a stronger bench. Simply add rebounding and we could make the 4 once again.
    Last edited by Pointybits; 14-04-2014 at 11:42 AM.

The Hawks can keep their core of Gruber, Martin, Timmy and Davidson and have 50 points to spend on the rest of the roster.

Interesting times ahead as the team's on the hunt for a new GM after Stu Wilkinson resigned during the playoffs.
    I do stuff at www.andthefoul.net

Just call me Trigger ;)

Am I reading that document right that Wollongong have no-one on contract?

If so the smart move is to sign the six players below to multi year contracts:

2014/15
    Oscar Forman (8.)
    Rhys Martin (6)
    Dave Gruber (5)
    Larry Davidson (5)
    Tim Coenraad (4)
    Tyson Demos (5)
    = 33 (37 points for 4 positions)

2015/16
    Oscar Forman (6)
    Rhys Martin (6)
    Dave Gruber (5)
    Larry Davidson (5)
    Tim Coenraad (4)
    Tyson Demos (3)
    = 29 (41 points for 4 positions)

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer83 View Post
    I think the past few seasons they've done one year contracts since their budget has been sketchy and better to commit to just the one season than be liable for more cash... I'm pretty sure the key 6 or so players weren't going anywhere and would have been comfortable with the "gentleman's agreement"/understanding the situation...
    Tool Herder: Special Projects Team Lead / Mayor of Twatland / Herder of Tools
    The Kings are dead... LONG LIVE THE KINGS!

Yep, everyone's a free agent but some players have options (player & team).

Just call me Trigger ;)

Well that is interesting because other teams with option years (Adelaide & Cairns for example) the option year is shown.

Well that is interesting because other teams with option years (Adelaide & Cairns for example) the option year is shown.
    The funny thing is Daniel Johnson re-signed with the 36ers to a 3 year deal in 2012 meaning he still has a year left but is now considered a free agent (I'm assuming the deal was actually a 2+1 with a player option for next season).
    "Human beings, as a species, have no more value than slugs"

John Davis (editor, Earth First! Journal)

I know it's really none of my or anyone elses business, but as a fan it would be nice to have some transparency at least on the proper lengths of the contracts as sometimes it feels a bit misleading when they say "signed on for 2 years!" and then you find it's a 1+1 deal... I'm fully aware that I could be in the minority of actually giving a toss though
    Tool Herder: Special Projects Team Lead / Mayor of Twatland / Herder of Tools
    The Kings are dead... LONG LIVE THE KINGS!

If so the smart move is to sign the six players below to multi year contracts:

2014/15
    Oscar Forman (8.)
    Rhys Martin (6)
    Dave Gruber (5)
    Larry Davidson (5)
    Tim Coenraad (4)
    Tyson Demos (5)
    = 33 (37 points for 4 positions)

2015/16
    Oscar Forman (6)
    Rhys Martin (6)
    Dave Gruber (5)
    Larry Davidson (5)
    Tim Coenraad (4)
    Tyson Demos (3)
    = 29 (41 points for 4 positions)
    Be great if the club had some money then

Quote Originally Posted by Voice(s) View Post
    The funny thing is Daniel Johnson re-signed with the 36ers to a 3 year deal in 2012 meaning he still has a year left but is now considered a free agent (I'm assuming the deal was actually a 2+1 with a player option for next season).
    I think he is still under contract but has some sort of out-clause for OS deals.

Currently the Hawks have not signed any players for the coming season. I hope that they can survive after a dismal spectator involvement 1n 13/14

Quote Originally Posted by Pointybits View Post
    Currently the Hawks have not signed any players for the coming season. I hope that they can survive after a dismal spectator involvement 1n 13/14
    New GM and who knows whats happening with Wollongong Coal (formally NRE). Budget (according to Gordie quotes) looks like to be around 700k again, so in that department nothing changes.

So they are playing next season?

Fraser Neill was quoted the other day as saying they are fine.

Looks like the Hawks might be bought out by a multi millionaire and given a much needed cash injection.

Story here: http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/s...-hawks/?cs=300

Sounds like good news for the Hawks who might have a little more money than previous years.

Great news. Will be interesting to see what Gordie can do with a level playing field. I guess a lot depends on how deep the guys pockets are but it should be possible to easily find enough $$$ to sign Rotnei again just by using some of the (previously)unspent portion of the cap AND then use the marquee allowance to sign a gun import to play the 3-4 spot. If rumours are true that they underspent the old cap by hundreds of thousands then spending the full cap now would also give them cash to upgrade the back ups at the 4/5 and combo guard spots. Not sure what is available though.

OK.

Martin/?????
    Clarke/Demos
    Marquee/Coenraad
    Forman/???
    Davo/Gruber

Rotnei Clarke has signed a deal to play in Belgium.

http://www.eurobasket.com/Belgium/ba...?NewsID=363876