Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Wollongong Hawks 2014/15 Discussion

So who's coming in??
    Will one change lead to two??

Perth should let Tommy Jervis recover and bring in gruber for a few weeks. Similar game to Greg hire.

Quote Originally Posted by Tropo View Post
    Very Un Hawks like , is the new owner putting pressure on to win now ?
    I mentioned this earlier in the thread, when Nevill was signed. The decision to bring in Nevill was Spenceley's not McLeod's. As far as McLeod was concerned the roster was finalised. This then is the direct consequence of that decision.
    Bringing in Rhys Martin is only going to create a similar problem down the line also. This time it will be Dom Cooks on the receiving end, assuming Ervin recovers.
    Spenceley is starting to look a lot like Seamus McPeake. But I am starting to think McPeake had a lot more basketball experience. Spenceley behaves like a goose on the sideline and it is just a matter of time before he falls foul of match officials for his sideline antics.
    This is the price you have to pay for private investment in clubs, it seems.

I just wonder who they've picked up.

Here's hoping Gruber will find a team this season. Perth's been mentioned with Jervis' short-term concerns, and if the Breakers find Pledger can't play with turf toe, I'd hope they give Gruber a call.

Spencely playing fantasy league it seems.

If the problem is in the backcourt, then why not release an under-performing backcourt player?!

Maybe cutting Grubber gets then more points.

I'd cut Davidson before Gruber.
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

The new owner's responses to comments on the Wollongong Hawks' Facebook page give an indication of his attitude. Be sure to read his response to Angela Saville's comments.

I almost didn't renew our season tickets this year due to the substantial increase in price. It seems that the price increase has gone towards paying for Foti Fireworks to come from Sydney & let off a few crackers each game and fill the air with acrid smoke, and for "exciting" half-time entertainment. I know I am an old fogey, but I had never heard of either of the acts they had for the entertainment.

Can you post the comments here please?

Edit - never mind, just read some. https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-emotion
    Last edited by Cussy; 29-10-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Team balance needed to be addressed. I would have cut Ballinger. They are definitely one guard short and overloaded in the 5/4 spots. Ballinger's D is worse than Forman's and that is tough to achieve. He bailed for more money previously so needs to be shown no loyalty. Gruber/Davo have played in the front court together successfully before. As long as Gruber gets his contract $$$ I have no problem. Hell if I were the Kings I would get rid of one of their 5's right now and offer Gruber a gig.

I hope it is Martin returning as this will help the team.

Cooks is not up to it anyway so in the cold hard light of day this change does address team needs.

Now what it does for team harmony.....that is a completely different story.
    Last edited by fan since the old snakepit; 29-10-2014 at 11:22 PM.

Gruber hasn't played for a couple of weeks despite being healthy anyway. Either this has been in the works for ages, and they thought sitting him out would somehow help, or something else is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by fan since the old snakepit View Post
    Hell if I were the Kings I would get rid of one of their 5's right now and offer Gruber a gig.
    I've always been a huge fan of Dave's and woul dbe more than happy for him to take over from Duinker...

Quote Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    Gruber hasn't played for a couple of weeks despite being healthy anyway. Either this has been in the works for ages, and they thought sitting him out would somehow help, or something else is going on.
    I guess with one too many "bigs" they figured that he was the low man on the totem pole, when really he was the hardest worker on the court and what so many people are referring to as the "glue guy". They ahd Coeenrad and Hill as more 3s, then Forman, Lazza, Balls and Nevill in the other spots, who would they take out for him? Some are saying Balls, who has a bit more size and maybe a nicer outside touch, but has either he or Davidson done much? They're not going to get rid of Spencely's big signing in Nevill, that's for sure...

Lots of anger over at their facebook page and I think rightly so... I know it's probably a numbrs game and he might be more points than other players (can't see how, aren't half the team on loyalty bonuses?) but you don't get rid of teh guy that everyone likes... Hawks have maintained their team throughout some tough times and they haven't done as bad as others... I think all they needed this season was a bit more cash backing to go that next step up, not go overboard and compromise what they've set as their base moral (?) level...
    Tool Herder: Special Projects Team Lead / Mayor of Twatland / Herder of Tools
    The Kings are dead... LONG LIVE THE KINGS!

Quote Originally Posted by fan since the old snakepit View Post
    They are definitely one guard short and overloaded in the 5/4 spots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
    I've always been a huge fan of Dave's and woul dbe more than happy for him to take over from Duinker...
    Maybe Joyce would be a fairer swap given the Hawks' guard shortage.

Does this cancel Martin's loyalty discounts (current or future)?

No.

According to @NBL: The rule states that a player must play consecutive seasons with the same club. Having not played elsewhere he applies
    Last edited by Cussy; 30-10-2014 at 03:33 PM.

This is great for the Hawks. If they?d had Martin last weekend they would?ve beaten NZ and the Adelaide game would?ve been much closer.

Having Carson and then Ervin sit the second halves really hurt them. I see Demos as more of a hustle guy who can come on for a 5 minute burst of energy. He doesn?t have the talent to play 20 minutes a night. But now they have a 3rd legit ball handler and offensive creator who can take up the bulk of the guard minutes off the bench.

Gruber vs Ballinger is a tough call cos they are Totally different types of players. But I would?ve probably done the same.
    Misinforming the Ozhoops community since 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Vertical View Post
    This is great for the Hawks. If they’d had Martin last weekend they would’ve beaten NZ and the Adelaide game would’ve been much closer.

Having Carson and then Ervin sit the second halves really hurt them. I see Demos as more of a hustle guy who can come on for a 5 minute burst of energy. He doesn’t have the talent to play 20 minutes a night. But now they have a 3rd legit ball handler and offensive creator who can take up the bulk of the guard minutes off the bench.

Gruber vs Ballinger is a tough call cos they are Totally different types of players. But I would’ve probably done the same.
    Neither Carson or Ervin appear to have high basketball IQ's either so Martin will help A LOT there.

Because basketball needs to be played at both ends of the court I would have cut Ballinger. I had forgotten how "poor" a defender he was. He is now an embarrassment at that end. Teams just target him as soon as he hits the court, doing the exact same thing they do when Forman is on but with even more success. Gordie has no choice other than to junk it up to counteract this.

Without doing the sums I suspect that Gruber had to go for points reasons. Is this the case?

Did Rhys Martin not get any offers from Europe?
    James Layup Shot: Missed Block: Bogut (2 BLK)

Another patchy performance, another loss. Carson's return on investment (1/13 from field, 4a, 4to) not good enough for someone taking up his spot, and Ervin's wasn't much better (10p on 4/13).

Makes me wonder whether we'd be better off cutting both Carson and Ervin, and getting someone of reasonable talent in to partner Rhys in the backcourt.

Cutting Gruber seems like a worse idea every day that this season goes on.

SD.
    Illawarra Hawks - 40 years strong...and still kickin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Skindog the Hawk View Post
    Another patchy performance, another loss. Carson's return on investment (1/13 from field, 4a, 4to) not good enough for someone taking up his spot, and Ervin's wasn't much better (10p on 4/13).

Makes me wonder whether we'd be better off cutting both Carson and Ervin, and getting someone of reasonable talent in to partner Rhys in the backcourt.

SD.
    I thought getting Ervin back would be a great move for the Hawks. When they signed Carson I think everyone wondered how they would play together with games that are very similar.

Its time to call that experiment a failure and move on. I don't see any point in maintaining the two current imports.

The best move for the club would be to replace one or both of them now, find their feet while they play the next few weeks away and come home to Wollongong with a team that is able to snag a few wins and get the dwindling attendance numbers up.

IMHO opinion if one import goes it should be Carson but I think that a reasonable argument could be made for replacing both.

Hard to replace both at the same time. Maybe keep Ervin if his injury will be getting better and replace Carson with a big. If Daniel Johnson ends up coming home his spot at Adelaide has been taken by Motum so may be he would play for Hawks money?

I think Carson has had a fair run and should be cut first, if anyone goes at this stage. He was brought in by Spenceley to add some flash, using his leaping ability and speed. But in anything other than warm ups he has not dunked once I think. This league has worked him out and shown up his poor decision to enter the draft early for what it's worth. He can't shoot, so every defender sags off him therefore taking away his slashes into the paint. The times he has proven successful have most often been in garbage time at the end of already lost games.
    I know Ervin is injured but at least he is making some contributions and if he plays alongside Martin he can be effective. If Carson was hoping to showcase himself for potential NBA rosters then that has backfired to the extent that he has probably got clubs breathing sighs of relief that they didn't pick him, if ever they considered him in the first place.
    This season is a train wreck. Even when the Breakers misfired offensively (Hawks D lifted?) the offence could not score enough to break away.
    I really just want this saeason to end.

Quote Originally Posted by SB.1 View Post
    Hard to replace both at the same time. Maybe keep Ervin if his injury will be getting better and replace Carson with a big.
    The last thing Wollongong need is another big. They need a guard who can shoot, pass, defend and who understands how to play in a system. Guys like Tiggs and Hurdle would be better options than Carson (which I think McLeod knew all along) but there are plenty of others out there who could be their third guard.

A bit off-topic for a moment... I'm looking at coming to Sydney for a few days between Xmas & New Year's. I see my Taipans are playing in Wollongong on the 27th. Is commuting from Sydney to Wollongong (and back) for the game a viable proposition? What's the best method of transport? How much time should be allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    The last thing Wollongong need is another big. They need a guard who can shoot, pass, defend and who understands how to play in a system. Guys like Tiggs and Hurdle would be better options than Carson (which I think McLeod knew all along) but there are plenty of others out there who could be their third guard.
    True but they're having major trouble putting points on the board and a proven scorer is DJ, plus he already has played with Ervin.