Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Townsville Crocodiles 2014/2015 Discussion

Tsvm Townsville Crocodiles 2014/2015 Discussion

Townsville Crocodiles coach Shawn Dennis keen on an Australian big to shore up front line for next NBL season.

The bulk of the back-court is already sewn up, with Steve Markovic, Mitch Norton, Mirko Djeric and Todd Blanchfield signed for the next campaign, but Dennis said he would need to add more big men with Jacob Holmes the only forward still signed.
    Is any team going to be forced to give up a good big because of points/cap restrictions? Because I can't think of a single one who would not be re-signed for anything other than those reasons. Which leaves an unknown, a kid or an expensive import. With Markovic signed, I say take the latter.
    Last edited by mattic; 08-04-2014 at 11:27 PM.
    As far as we know, we are the first and only instance of the Universe becoming aware of itself. Given long enough, carbon begins to wonder where it came from.

Smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall.

Weird things seem to be happening in Cairns, and it's only a drive down the road. How long is Burston's contract? I thought only a year?
    "I think it's time to discuss your uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavour"

Quote Originally Posted by mattic View Post
    Townsville Crocodiles coach Shawn Dennis keen on an Australian big to shore up front line for next NBL season.

Is any team going to be forced to give up a good big because of points/cap restrictions? Because I can't think of a single one who would not be re-signed for anything other than those reasons. Which leaves an unknown, a kid or an expensive import. With Markovic signed, I say take the latter.
    if the point cap still exists, it might be difficult for the Wildcats to keep Jervis.

I'm hearing that the points cap is likely to be retained but not definite yet.

Kerri-Anne Kennerley is now a part-owner?

Retweeted by Townsville Crocs
    Dan and Maz@DanAndMaz52m
    HOORAY! @kerrianneken is now part owner of the @TsvCrocs basketball team! TAKE THAT @Oprah!
    As far as we know, we are the first and only instance of the Universe becoming aware of itself. Given long enough, carbon begins to wonder where it came from.

Oh, reading on, it seems that what are possibly a super-whacky breakfast radio DJ pair has bought her a "share", which probably means a $5k package. Not to be sneezed at, every little helps.

''I can't stand it, I know you planned it,
    i'm gonna set it straight, this watergate"

Beware the Ozhoops circle jerk (apparently self defense is not a defense)

Reading the Bully...it seems to me they are making comments in the paper that would exacerbate and lessen their chance to secure a quality business mind that they purport to seek.

Why do I say that? It seems to me the tenor of the article was that the club is locked in a most precarious, do-or-die phase in its journey to either financial stability or failure.

Seems to me if you're after a top-shelf fellow - for him to perhaps leave a safe sinecure to come north to what may, in fact, end up being a reasonably short gig - narrows the field. Just seems to me advertising the precarious nature of the gig runs counter to getting the sort of candidates they seek.

BTW...my comments aren't driven by the article above but another article following on from this.

Quote Originally Posted by cantremeber View Post
    Reading the Bully...it seems to me they are making comments in the paper that would exacerbate and lessen their chance to secure a quality business mind that they purport to seek.

Why do I say that? It seems to me the tenor of the article was that the club is locked in a most precarious, do-or-die phase in its journey to either financial stability or failure.

Seems to me if you're after a top-shelf fellow - for him to perhaps leave a safe sinecure to come north to what may, in fact, end up being a reasonably short gig - narrows the field. Just seems to me advertising the precarious nature of the gig runs counter to getting the sort of candidates they seek.

BTW...my comments aren't driven by the article above but another article following on from this.
    Seem less.
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

Quote Originally Posted by Cussy View Post
    Seem less.
    Its called thinking...try it

Its called a joke....try not being one.
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

Quote Originally Posted by Cussy View Post
    Its called a joke....try not being one.
    A joke would have been seamless...

I don't know. Your orange, sleeveless t-shirt had seams but had to be a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by mattic View Post
    I don't know. Your orange, sleeveless t-shirt had seams but had to be a joke.
    Dont really know what you're on about other than a shirt I wore to the Tsv Cns game. If thats it, frankly it didn't register that Cns had orange as their strip.

That night sat with JT...good bloke

If thats what your on about you're gonna make someone an awful wife... a memory like an elephant

mod: ok guys, I know it's a slow week, but let's try to not get too distracted and off topic please

Is there any concern up there that the team won't see out the season? I was always worried that they'd be able to make it back, but it got the nod from Neill, but there was always so much talk about "we need X amount of people to turn up to be viable", did they end up turning up?
    Tool Herder: Special Projects Team Lead / Mayor of Twatland / Herder of Tools
    The Kings are dead... LONG LIVE THE KINGS!

They definitely didn't turn up. In those numbers, anyway. Possibly the numbers were wrong, or things weren't as bad as they seemed (e.g., the funds they generated in the transition to community ownership were enough to cover a bit of next season, too, if sales were short this year), or possibly another injection of cash from somewhere.

The Taipans lost all of the 500 k they received from the `foundation members' in their first season as a community owned club and if I remember correctly around 200 k the next year so I hope there are some deep pockets in Townsville to keep the Crocs going . I would hate to see them fold.

Quote Originally Posted by Tropo View Post
    The Taipans lost all of the 500 k they received from the `foundation members' in their first season as a community owned club and if I remember correctly around 200 k the next year so I hope there are some deep pockets in Townsville to keep the Crocs going . I would hate to see them fold.
    If they lost that sort of dosh in Season 1&2..on what do they now subsist? Seat sales and sponsorship income

I assume so as far as I know they have made some form of profit in the last two seasons and no one has tipped in any of their own money again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tropo View Post
    I assume so as far as I know they have made some form of profit in the last two seasons and no one has tipped in any of their own money again.
    Dont think there was a profit. Cant swear to it but not from what I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by cantremeber View Post
    Dont think there was a profit. Cant swear to it but not from what I have heard.
    Last AGM it was a profit (of a few thousand if i remember correctly), year before they broken even by a few $$.

Teams don't have to fork out the $100k to the NBL every year now, so at least T'ville has that in their favor.

What $100k to the NBL?
    What was that for?

Quote Originally Posted by King Podge View Post
    Last AGM it was a profit (of a few thousand if i remember correctly), year before they broken even by a few $$.

Teams don't have to fork out the $100k to the NBL every year now, so at least T'ville has that in their favor.
    If Teams are not paying anything to the New NBL then how is it funding itself ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    What $100k to the NBL?
    What was that for?
    under BA each team had to pay $100,000 each season, I believed they called it a 'participation fee'. Certainly a hell of a lot of money to fork over for what they got in return...

Not sure what the current funding structure is, but whatever replaced it certainly isn't costing teams anywhere near as much.

Somebody told me that they were getting "a little bit of help from the NBL."