Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Townsville Crocodiles 2014/2015 Discussion

I had 12 ECTC's on a weekend once and I don't remember much of that either.
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

Quote Originally Posted by DDFan View Post
    It's a setback, but I have the time & patience to work my way around the difficulties, so no complaints from me.
    All the best to you and your family during this challenging time. Hopefully the new season can give you some joy.

Quote Originally Posted by BellBivDevoe View Post
    All the best to you and your family during this challenging time. Hopefully the new season can give you some joy.
    Thanks very much for your best wishes, rest assured, I'd rather how I am, than be normal. *crosses heart*

I am without doubt, the luckiest bloke in the world.
    "Box of Chocolates" OzHo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cussy View Post
    I had 12 ECTC's on a weekend once and I don't remember much of that either.
    ECTCs are for tow in the water, dial uP wusses who can only handle short term loss.
    If you wanna take the next step, I'll get you a referral.

Gladness the new but better Larry Abney? Can't hit a FT to save his life.

1436 at their game today. What a joke.
    James Layup Shot: Missed Block: Bogut (2 BLK)

I thought the same thing regarding the crowd. Wow. I don't think the worst crowd at the Swamp was anywhere near that low, but I could be wrong. The customary slow start isn't going to help matters. What is the capacity of RSL? Is it 2200? Maybe people thought they wouldn't get a seat in lieu of all the talk with the relocation/downsize.

Quote Originally Posted by Bring back the Bullets View Post
    Maybe people thought they wouldn't get a seat in lieu of all the talk with the relocation/downsize.
    What? Townsville are relocating to Brisbane next season??
    25 seasons as a Wildcats member.

NBL Dream Team FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/NBLDreamTeam

Quote Originally Posted by Wild 1 View Post
    What? Townsville are relocating to Brisbane next season??
    Relocation from the Townsville Entertainment Centre to R.S.L Stadium.(for this season)

Crocs pay price for expensive tickets

For the first time ever, the Fire are averaging better crowds.

...the move to RSL Stadium ? which has a capacity of more than 2000 ? has not gone well. It must be noted that the Crocs didn?t have much choice: with the crowds they were drawing, they couldn?t afford the hire fee of the Townsville Entertainment Centre.
    However, they do have a choice over their ticket prices, which range from $135 for ?Hollywood? seats to $18 for ?restricted view? seats and $79 for the cheapest family ticket (two adults and two children). I?ll leave it to you to judge whether these prices are affordable for the average family.
    The move to the smaller outer-suburban venue highlights the fact that Crocs games were never just about the basketball. It was sold as a night out: you could go to the game, then wander over to Jupiter?s for a bet or go into the CBD for a meal and a few drinks. Perhaps the Crocs needed to take this into account when setting their ticket prices at RSL.
    As far as we know, we are the first and only instance of the Universe becoming aware of itself. Given long enough, carbon begins to wonder where it came from.

Even if they reduced their ticket prices by 20% and then sold the place out at 2,200, they wouldn't be all that much better off in pure financial terms than charging these high prices and getting 1,500.

There are food/drink revenues and the like, as well, but they wouldn't amount to all that much.

For sponsorship and general exposure you want as many people in the stadium as possible though, so it will be interesting to see what the Crocs do if they continually fail to sell it out at current prices.
    Misinforming the Ozhoops community since 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by djmenow View Post
    Just watched the highlights of the game on You Tube. Wow any crowd at the game??? Seemed like the old Razorback type crowd (none). Seemed like such a amateur place to play.
    On the crowd: it's not value for money @ RSL. Prices have gone up from last year at the EC, ffs! Well, my prices did; and from most reports I've seen, some variant of "too expensive" is prominent.

I love watching basketball live, but here's the competition: NBLTV is $79 for all Crocs home and away games, to watch at my convenience, in the comfort of my own home, with all the benefits that brings.

I'm not going to pay more money than last year, for less gear (in the package), worse chairs, restricted view seats (these are for good seats, comparatively, but most seats are restricted view. You can get a clear view with courtside seats, for ~50% again, on top of what I was paying last year, which was over $1000 per ticket), seats which are a long way from the court, spartan food options and the general feeling that you're in a school gym that's been hastily and ineptly converted, rather than the sort of glitz (for want of a better word) that tells you you're on a night out.

The only improvement is the massive, empty car park, sitting there like an abandoned drive-in. But you'd expect that at a venue literally miles from anything one might want to do before and after the game.

The excuse from the Crocs is, "we've no option but RSL." That's true, the EC price was outrageous for the aging facilities they were providing. The Crocs haven't made the connection yet, that they stayed away from the EC because it was too expensive. Well, what do you think we're doing, lads?
    As far as we know, we are the first and only instance of the Universe becoming aware of itself. Given long enough, carbon begins to wonder where it came from.

so who own's the EC and why aren't they offering the Crocs a discount? I'm assuming the EC is largely otherwise unoccupied? Who put up the $1M guarantee/surety/whatever it is for the Crocs?

Quote Originally Posted by SB.1 View Post
    so who own's the EC and why aren't they offering the Crocs a discount?
    From what I heard nobody owns it right now, which is why the Crocs can't play there.

Response to mattic's post above, #112 of this thread:

1 .. You love live basketball.

2 .. Last season, $1000/ticket at the EC confirms that.

3 .. Last season, you got your glitz, a package, plus the bonus, of before & after entertainment at close quarters to the Swamp.

4 .. Last season, parking was a privilege.

I'm trying to summarise your post, & please correct me where I've gotten it wrong.

1 .. You love live basketball.

2 .. $1500/ticket is not acceptable to you.

3 .. Spartan food was mandatory at the old Swamp?

4 .. I'm open to criticism here. I'm assuming that you didn't take them up on the RSL glamour night hard sell.

5 .. You've opted for NBLtv at the $79 renewal premium.

6 .. Another open invitation for abuse, but I assume you've maintained your standards at only being interested in watching Croc games.

7 .. Your comfortable home is within walking distance of before & after game entertainment, or they take phone, or on-line bookings.

A little reminder, the Crocs survived on the back of community funding, yet secured Norton to a 3 year deal, before going public with their $2.6Mill loss over 6 years, that outsiders didn't know about.

3 .. Last season, you got your glitz, a package, plus the bonus, of before & after entertainment at close quarters to the Swamp.
    Well, sort of. The point is, I live in the City, where the EC is. I see no reason for me to travel miles solely to see a basketball game I can watch in my home.
    I mentioned this as a wide-spread concern with the EC, solved by the RSL move. It didn't affect me personally. A Vespa fits anywhere.
    No, it's fine.
    I don't know what you mean.
    RSL glamour night hard sell.
    There was such a thing?
    A little reminder, the Crocs survived on the back of community funding, yet secured Norton to a 3 year deal, before going public with their $2.6Mill loss over 6 years, that outsiders didn't know about.
    What of it?

Before I get into this quotefest, I genuinely appreciate mattic's refreshingly honest & easy read replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattic View Post
    Well, sort of. The point is, I live in the City, where the EC is. I see no reason for me to travel miles solely to see a basketball game I can watch in my home.
    At the prices you were paying last season, then expecting you to up it by 50%, for a crap product. I'd do the same.
    I mentioned this as a wide-spread concern with the EC, solved by the RSL move. It didn't affect me personally. A Vespa fits anywhere.
    Like.
    No, it's fine.
    ,but good for you.
    I don't know what you mean.
    It's a DDFan twist from:

"I'm not going to pay more money *post cropped seats which are a long way from the court, spartan food options *post cropped

RSL glamour night hard sell.
    There was such a thing?
    My apologies.

What of it?
    It's probably an unfounded conspiracy theory on my part, but:

I was of the belief that the Crocs were still maintaining their "Break even only policy", no indication otherwise, so I thought it was a given.

Then, just prior to the season start, the bombshell that they'd lost $2.6M over 6 years, were handing in their license ((the NBL would've shit themselves at the thought of another team withdrawing, wink wink) short notice & in my view, extremely dodgy), yet signed Mitch to a 3 year deal, took me by surprise.

Community support was then sought, & they bought into it, the Crocs survived the season at the EC.

I take note that the NEW Swamp is a budget minded cutback, with poor viewing experiences etc etc, that even you, with your love of live basketball & obvious wealth, have refused to accept. I'm worried that some corporates & community supporters have pulled back, or out, with the enforced move to the RSL stadium.

I honestly don't see the Crocs surviving, unless management have more stings up their sleeves.

Townsville Crocodiles 20th anniversary All-Star team continues to embarrass club

TWO members of the Townsville Crocodiles 20th anniversary All-Star team will be in action at Townsville RSL Stadium tonight ? but neither of them will be wearing the club?s signature green.
    Homegrown legend Peter Crawford and towering centre Luke Schenscher were both honoured with a spot in the club?s All-Star team in 2012 ? alongside the likes of Clarence Tyson, Derek Rucker and Robert Rose ? but the talented duo return to the North tonight as members of the Adelaide 36ers.
    Schenscher made a huge impression in his two seasons with the club between 2010-2012
    Bollocks! Schenscher was named in the team solely because he hadn't yet signed for the following season and some numpty thought it better to flatter and hint rather than negotiate.
    Unfortunately, they chose an honour that not even Schenscher's mum believed was legit and it continues to haunt the club and erode it's integrity as it is forced to either continue the charade or confess not only to abject sycophancy, but also to mild corruption, let alone their preparedness to brutally ignore whoever should have taken that spot.

It can be fixed. Anybody left over there with some balls?

Townsville Crocodiles 20th anniversary All-Star team continues to embarrass club

Bollocks! Schenscher was named in the team solely because he hadn't yet signed for the following season and some numpty thought it better to flatter and hint rather than negotiate.
    Unfortunately, they chose an honour that not even Schenscher's mum believed was legit and it continues to haunt the club and erode it's integrity as it is forced to either continue the charade or confess not only to abject sycophancy, but also to mild corruption, let alone their preparedness to brutally ignore whoever should have taken that spot.

It can be fixed. Anybody left over there with some balls?
    It should have been Andrew Goodwin, everyone including Schenscher knows that. The reason he was chosen was because he won an MVP 1 year. There were 3 members on the panel and it was a 2-1 split.

IIRC the panel was Kevin Sugars, Boti Nagy and a representative from the Townsville Bulletin who I believe was Antony Stewart. Boti has mentioned in a fair few articles since that Schenscher should not have gotten the award.

This club has a disastrous past (& present) with handling legends leaving the club and recognising the history and tradition they once coveted.

By the way, the 20th anniversary team was:

Derek Rucker
    Kelvin Robertson
    Peter Crawford
    John Rillie
    Robert Rose
    Brad Newley
    Pat Reidy
    Sam Mackinnon
    Clarence Tyson
    Luke Schenscher

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Rod View Post
    By the way, the 20th anniversary team was:

Derek Rucker
    Kelvin Robertson
    Peter Crawford
    John Rillie
    Robert Rose
    Brad Newley
    Pat Reidy
    Sam Mackinnon
    Clarence Tyson
    Luke Schenscher
    How is Brad Davidson not there ??

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Rod View Post
    It should have been Andrew Goodwin, everyone including Schenscher knows that. The reason he was chosen was because he won an MVP 1 year. There were 3 members on the panel and it was a 2-1 split.

IIRC the panel was Kevin Sugars, Boti Nagy and a representative from the Townsville Bulletin who I believe was Antony Stewart. Boti has mentioned in a fair few articles since that Schenscher should not have gotten the award.

This club has a disastrous past (& present) with handling legends leaving the club and recognising the history and tradition they once coveted.
    Agree, Rod. That's Townsville in general. The moment you leave, say, a job as a mechanic, to become, for example a United Nations Ambassador, you can guarantee that the workshop boss and all his family and friends will hate you and all departments of "those poaching UN bastards" in perpetuity.
    Yeah, the panel. Utterly independent, no outside influence.
    And a poor panel for such a momentous pick.
    Last edited by mattic; 09-12-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
    How is Brad Davidson not there ??
    In a tossup between Davidson and Robertson, only one allegedly shagged an ex-coach's missus. Not that I'm saying that anybody did anything wrong; just that, in a close race, it was the decision most likely to spare blushes.

I agree with all of that!

Although with the Robertson/Davidson thing, I would have chosen Kelvin too - 3rd in games played for the club and really the first local to really make it in the national league unless you count Jason Cameron (Mackay) and Keiron Mitchellhill (Townsville) or even the Pennisi bros (Silkwood).

Rucker:..........PG ... was inducted into the Davidson Hall of Fame.

Robertson: ....PG ... Born: Townsville January 3, 1983 (age 31), Weight: 82 kg. Ouch!!! Goes missing on Croc Wiki Notable Players list. Ouch!!!

PC: ................SG ... Born: Mt Isa boy, now playing for 6ers.

JR: ................SG ... Born: Toowoomba, & a fave of mine. Get those Podcasts go'n DJ.

Rose:.............SG ... Import: In '92 GF, handed Goorj Coach of the Year honours.

Newley:.........SF ... Born: SA & NBL debut was in a Croc jersey. *says hi!!!

Reidy:............F..... Loved his game, but Ian Smythe dumped on him big time, handing him subsiding game attendances, & financial losses from his last 2-3 years when handing over the CEO position.

Good read: http://www.news.com.au/national/the-...-1226615075157

Sammy:........SF ... Vic born, shopped around, played for the Championship Groves Bullets, years after playing 2 seasons as a Croc. Woooah!!!

Tyson:..........F ... Import, Croc rebounding champion, then years later became a Tiger.

Schenscher:.C ... SA born, played bearded & a ponytail, but a Caramello (Soft ) Centre.

Surprise Omissions:

Hinder:........WTF ... Croc Bulletin poster boy & doesn't make the cut?

Davo]......... HdBdBanga .....WA born, so hated by Boti.

Many thanks to AndTheFoul, Wiki & Google.
    Last edited by DDFan; 09-12-2014 at 07:04 PM.