Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Perth Wildcats 2014/2015 discussion thread

A concern at this stage is the apparent lack of contract lodgement for Redhage. Has there been a forced negotiation of his salary, resulting in a stalemate?
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop View Post
    You have a point, and that is I don't know all the details. I think I read in the Ross article that it was a 3 year deal with options at the end of each year. Perhaps Muo's was the same and the Cats elected not to exercise the option for this year?

I guess I'll never know all the details but my overarching point is that some may find it somewhat unsavoury to go back on a contractual agreement. I guess I am harping on the wording of the Cats vs The West because I feel there is a difference between "electing not to sign" someone or ending his contract because we found someone better. As I said in an earlier post, I think overall it's a positive move in this case, but it wouldn't be something you'd want to do regularly as far as the team's reputation for treating players goes (whether perception or reality).
    They did the same with Bartlett at the end of the 12/13 season, when he had 1 more year to go on his deal I believe.

U'u woulda bene on less than 60k...

I feel like Ross would be on the same. Un-proven. First professional gig. didn't get picked up anywhere else. it's a buyers market.
    No Signature.

Quote Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    Willetton's game programs list Antonia Edmondson and Lisa Wallbutton as imports, both coming from New Zealand.
    Donno about the WSBL but in MSBL you can definitely suit up kiwis as non-imports
    Mentok commands you

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Donno about the WSBL but in MSBL you can definitely suit up kiwis as non-imports
    The SBL (and WSBL) are covered by the same rule, so Kiwis do play as locals.

The reason why those two girls are listed as 'Imports' in the Willetton game programme is because they played more than 10 mins per game in the WNBL with the Waves. Just like Tom Jervis was with East Perth, and I'm guessing like a number of WNBL Aussie girls running around in the SEABL etc.
    Let he who is without aim throw the first stone.

Just call me Trigger ;)

Quote Originally Posted by RaMarQabLe View Post
    U'u woulda bene on less than 60k...

I feel like Ross would be on the same. Un-proven. First professional gig. didn't get picked up anywhere else. it's a buyers market.
    He had a workout with the Clippers where he out performed Jahii Carson, Scottie Wilbekin and Bryce Cotton (signed by the Spurs) so he isn't quite the left field pick up that U'u was.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...Analysis-4559/

Quote Originally Posted by Lukosius View Post
    The SBL (and WSBL) are covered by the same rule, so Kiwis do play as locals.

The reason why those two girls are listed as 'Imports' in the Willetton game programme is because they played more than 10 mins per game in the WNBL with the Waves. Just like Tom Jervis was with East Perth, and I'm guessing like a number of WNBL Aussie girls running around in the SEABL etc.
    They've listed Darcee Garbin as a "restricted player" for Rockingham, which I'm assuming is the same rule? Doesn't make much sense to call them imports if they're not, and there's a different term available.

So what's the rule? Two total "restricted players", where a restricted player is anyone who's either non-Australian or plays 10mpg nationally?

They've listed Darcee Garbin as a "restricted player" for Rockingham, which I'm assuming is the same rule? Doesn't make much sense to call them imports if they're not, and there's a different term available.

So what's the rule? Two total "restricted players", where a restricted player is anyone who's either non-Australian or plays 10mpg nationally?
    A 'restricted player' and an 'import' are effectively the same thing, and you can only have two of them on your team.

The difference is that an 'import' in a non-Aussie while a 'restricted player' usually is an Aussie but is playing with 'restrictions' enforced by Basketball Australia's 'Restricted Player Policy'.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_...cleID=17967017
    Let he who is without aim throw the first stone.

The way I read that, "restricted player" would cover both imports and national players, but there's no national-player equivalent term to 'import'.

So basically, the reason Wallbutton and Edmondson are listed as imports is that whoever does the programs seems to toss a coin in deciding which terminology to use. Or possibly some sort of three-sided die, given that the Redbacks apparently don't have any imports or restricted players at all.

Yeah, whether his contract was actually lodged or not is pretty irrelevant. He had one, and they've cut him. What difference does anything else make?
    Agreed, no point arguing about semantics, like if someone is an import or a restricted player.

So hows the minutes going to be spread over the team this season. Is Ross expecting major minutes? Will Hire and Wagstaffs minutes lessen with Ross and Daniels (being that Ross is built like a brick shithouse ala Blakemore) or will he be backup for Beal and Martin? Hows the rotations going to go making everyone happy?

I love the look of our team however, it sort of reminds me when we had Vlahov or a Hansen coming off the bench.

I see Redhages name not on the teams list on the Wildcats website? Reasons?

Wouldn't be suprised if Ross starts a few games and ends up taking minutes away from Hire.
    No Signature.

Wouldn't be suprised if Ross starts a few games and ends up taking minutes away from Hire.
    Ahead of who?
    James Layup Shot: Missed Block: Bogut (2 BLK)

Just call me Trigger ;)

Martin 25/Beal 15/10th man 0
    Beal 15/Ross 25
    Daniels 25/Hire 15
    Redhage 25/Wagstaff 15
    Knight 20/Jervis 15/Wagstaff 5

Something like that

Quote Originally Posted by djmenow View Post
    So hows the minutes going to be spread over the team this season. Is Ross expecting major minutes?

I see Redhages name not on the teams list on the Wildcats website? Reasons?
    This is what was listed when the NBL released its free agents list back in June:

Contracted Players:
    Matt Knight (Contracted)
    Greg Hire (Contracted)
    Jesse Wagstaff (Re-Signed)
    Damian Martin (Re-Signed)
    Tom Jervis (Re-Signed)
    Jermaine Beal (Re-Signed)

Free Agents:
    Drake U'u
    Erik Burdon
    James Ennis (Signed with the Miami Heat - Story)
    Shawn Redhage
    Mathiang Muo

Players Added:
    DeAndre Daniels (Toronto Raptors)

I emailed the Wildcats a while back about it, but got no reply haha Also Boti wrote in one of his columns about Redhage not yet being re-signed. I emailed him a snippet from our members first news mentioning Redhage should still be signed for another 2 years, but he didn't know anything more about it.
    25 seasons as a Wildcats member.

NBL Dream Team FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/NBLDreamTeam

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer83 View Post
    Martin 25/Beal 15/10th man 0
    Beal 15/Ross 25
    Daniels 25/Hire 15
    Redhage 25/Wagstaff 15
    Knight 20/Jervis 15/Wagstaff 5

Something like that
    In regards to minutes, I think if anyone is going to see a decline in minutes its going to be Redhage. I know Toronto want Daniels to learn the SF spot but to give him the court time I can see them putting him at the 4 in spurts.

Do you think they will employ the small ball game against some teams? I know he is around Beals height but Ross is strong and stocky so could he play some SF in spurts?

PG - Martin
    SG - Beal
    SF - Ross
    PF - Daniels
    C - Wagstaff (or Jervis)

or

PG - Beal
    SG - Ross
    SF - Daniels
    PF - Wagstaff
    C - Knight

I like this second one if you want to have 4 shooters on the court and Knight to work inside...

Why wouldn't you put Redhage in to either of those small ball line-ups?

RAPTORS GM: "Hi, Nick. We've got a fixer upper for you guys, 2nd round pick Daniels.

MARVIN: "Oh great! So what needs fixing, his jump shot? Defense?"

RAPTORS GM: "No Nick. We need you to rebuild him."

Quote Originally Posted by Cussy View Post
    Why wouldn't you put Redhage in to either of those small ball line-ups?
    You most certainly can do that, he could replace Wagstaff in the first or Knight/Wagstaff in the second.

Its funny I look at Redhage and immediately skip to go to Wagstaff due to age (so thinking small ball = get out and run) but Redhage is certainly no slouch in that department and can play the transition game...

I think I also went to Wags over Redhage because I keep thinking this could be the season we see Redhage start to slow down and hand over more of the responsibility to Wagstaff at that stretch 4 spot.

But you are certainly right, Redhage can go in that spot for sure... and I wouldn't be against it either. Redhage is also better at putting the ball on the floor from the 3pt line if you want another player attacking the defense as opposed to settling for the 3 point shot.

I gave up predicting that Redhage will take a backseat this season a few years ago. Nothing is slowing him down and he hasn't really shown any signs of regressing yet, even after his injury.

I gave up predicting that Redhage will take a backseat this season a few years ago. Nothing is slowing him down and he hasn't really shown any signs of regressing yet, even after his injury.
    Very true, unless Wagstaff starts to out perform him I guess you are right. Wouldn't even say Wagstaff is the better shooter, Redhage really has been amazing for us and isn't slowing.

Yeah Redhage is only 33 still. I don't think Wagstaff will overtake him any time soon.

Redhage is just on a totally different level offensively, to most players actually.
    25 seasons as a Wildcats member.

NBL Dream Team FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/NBLDreamTeam

Absolutely right.

I have enormous respect for Reds. Just to be mobile after the horrific injury in Adelaide would be huge for most people, but he never backed off in rehab, & returned as strong as ever, in professional sport, & never missed a beat.

Reds is a team player who brings heart & toughness, which should never be underestimated.
    "Box of Chocolates" OzHo.

For those who haven't seen it, this photo shows exactly how big Ross's shoulders are, ie ******* huge!

Edit: also looks like Matt Knight has shrunk and got a tan...
    Last edited by Silencer83; 13-09-2014 at 01:47 PM.