Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Second Team in Perth

Default Second Team in Perth

Could it happen?

How much would it cost?

I think there is a market for it.

They could play out of Challenge Stadium (for the first 5 years).

Obviously we aren't a market that needs a team (like Brisbane), but if there is an interested business person with deep pockets, I'd like to see it happen.

Nothing like a bit of competition!
    No Signature.

Perth Bullets. Make it happen.
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

No.
    James Layup Shot: Missed Block: Bogut (2 BLK)

1 team makes it far easier for the rest of Australia to hate you.
    I'd hate to dilute the hate.?

Saying that though the Bunbury Bullets has a ring to it Cussy.

But that's were it'd get interesting.

I feel like there is a massive basketball loving and following community in WA that would jump at the chance to support a WA team that isn't the Wildcats.
    No Signature.

Please for the love of hoop god no!!

Quote Originally Posted by RaMarQabLe View Post
    Could it happen?

How much would it cost?

I think there is a market for it.

They could play out of Challenge Stadium (for the first 5 years).

Obviously we aren't a market that needs a team (like Brisbane), but if there is an interested business person with deep pockets, I'd like to see it happen.

Nothing like a bit of competition!
    IF the Cats were selling out PA every game and there was a waiting list for memberships, then maybe. But I can't see people wanting to go to Challenge over PA and playing the baby brother to the Wildcats.

West Coast and Freo play at the same stadium.

I can't see it happening... not anytime soon at least.

I feel like there is a massive basketball loving and following community in WA that would jump at the chance to support a WA team that isn't the Wildcats.
    Now that is a demographic that I haven't heard of before. We know there is the diehard fan, we know there is the casual fan (who wonders if Ricky Grace still plays), we know there is the NBA-only fan who won't watch the NBL because "it sucks, dey dont eveen dunk LOL"...but a group that doesn't go to games because they hate the Wildcats? Not sure that is enough to fill a stadium.

Australind Worthos
    "Human beings, as a species, have no more value than slugs"

John Davis (editor, Earth First! Journal)

Quote Originally Posted by King Podge View Post
    1 team makes it far easier for the rest of Australia to hate you.
    I'd hate to dilute the hate.?

Saying that though the Bunbury Bullets has a ring to it Cussy.
    Have you been to Bunbury? Bigger shithole than Adelaide.

Quote Originally Posted by Cussy View Post
    Now that is a demographic that I haven't heard of before. We know there is the diehard fan, we know there is the casual fan (who wonders if Ricky Grace still plays), we know there is the NBA-only fan who won't watch the NBL because "it sucks, dey dont eveen dunk LOL"...but a group that doesn't go to games because they hate the Wildcats? Not sure that is enough to fill a stadium.
    I think the only people who really hate the Wildcats live in South/South Eastern Australia - and they aint getting to Wildcat home games anyways........

Demographics... demographics everywhere....

I feel the Wildcats offer a particular type of product (besides the actual players). The way the game is presented and all of that.

I think if another team was to come along and offer it up in a different way, it could gain some traction and following.
    No Signature.

I don't think right now there is enough support for Basketball in Perth.

Although Perth is making money, I think they still need a high number @ PA to break even.

I think this will be detrimental to the Wildcats.

Quote Originally Posted by illusiv View Post
    West Coast and Freo play at the same stadium.
    And Freo had a ready-made fanbase due to Freo-based WAFL clubs. A new WA NBL team would have to build their fanbase from scratch. You'd have to have zero scheduling clashes and rely on people who have enough interest in the league, and enough money, to support both teams. Not sure how many of those there are.

A second Perth NBL team would only need to fill Challenge Stadium to begin with.

I'd like a team to go the complete opposite of the Wildcats - I think it would be interesting.

Get sponsorship from Coke or a beer company. Have cheerleaders wear slightly more revealing attire, play more contemporary music at games.

If I ever win the lotto... I'll try and make it happen haha
    No Signature.

Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea Supercluster, The Universe

Lightbulb

We don't have enough resources for a 2nd team in Perth. Melbourne & Sydney are the only cities capable of having two NBL clubs in the league.
    OMFG this is for Real!!!! * Shocked *

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

TFRENBAA

A second Perth NBL team would only need to fill Challenge Stadium to begin with.
    That's still 4,500 more seats than they could feasibly fill trying to compete with the Wildcats.

Get sponsorship from Coke or a beer company.
    Sure. And they could sign LeBron under the marquee rule...

I'd like a team to go the complete opposite of the Wildcats - I think it would be interesting.
    You only need to look at the Dockers first ten years to see how "interesting" that would go for them.

If it's not called the Bullets I have no interest whatsoever, we all know new teams have the propensity to fail.

Perth Bullets. Make it happen.
    Oh. I should've read past OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Clips View Post
    If it's not called the Bullets I have no interest whatsoever, we all know new teams have the propensity to fail.
    Perth United maybe?
    NBL Wishlist

#1: Having the Brisbane Bullets back.

#2: Having the NBL expand to (short term) 12 teams, then to (long term) 14-16 teams.

#3: Having the CORRECT boxscores for every NBL game in history. That way I can FINALLY complete my NBL Archives database! (Yes, quite a few are incorrect, but the league is apparently working on it).

I'd like to see that.
    "Box of Chocolates" OzHo.

Haha it was the only place I could think of that worked with Bullets

Still if Adeliade has a team why not Bunbury!

The Broome Sweeps?
    "Box of Chocolates" OzHo.

Quote Originally Posted by DDFan View Post
    The Broome Sweeps?
    Vs the Derby Locals?