Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 World Cup: Boomers vs Slovenia

Default 2014 World Cup: Boomers vs Slovenia

Tonight, it all gets underway at the 2014 FIBA World Cup for men. For the Boomers, they take on Slovenia at 1:30am AEST.

Thankfully for Aussie fans, every game will be love on FTA TV on ABC2, as with Team USA. You can catch all games on FIBA's livebasketball.tv.

http://pickandroll.com.au/2014-fiba-...aign-slovenia/

So who will win? Can the Boomers restric the Dragic brothers and take advantage of their size in the paint?

My prediction: Boomers by 7 points.
    http://pickandroll.com.au/
    Everything NBA | All About Basketball
    Twitter: @DamianArsenis

Getting a little bit excited.

Wouldn't it be a great start to begin with a nice win over Slovenia?

They are a very good team and we are going to have to be at our very best to beat them.

Go you Aussies!

Yeah I'm excited as hell.

Containing G Dragic is clearly going to be the key. I think Delly has shown himself capable in this past season so hopefully he keeps that up. This is one of our biggest games so hopefully we buck our usual trend of slow starts and come out strong

Living in Perth Time Zone FTW.

2 hours to go?
    Will you take a 5 Dennis, take a 5 please!

Nightmare. Turning the ball over, giving up offensive rebounds galore and struggling to score.

Lift Aussies, c'mon.

Oh for Bogut and Mills to be out there!

And how is it that EVERY Euro team we ever face hit the most ridiculous threes against us?
    Last edited by gus3232; 31-08-2014 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Wasn't done ranting.

Quote Originally Posted by gus3232 View Post
    Nightmare. Turning the ball over, giving up offensive rebounds galore and struggling to score.

Lift Aussies, c'mon.

Oh for Bogut and Mills to be out there!

And how is it that EVERY Euro team we ever face hit the most ridiculous threes against us?
    Dem off the dribble threes in the man's face eh?

If I had a dolla

So frustrating. They work their tails off at the defensive end, only to either turn it over, give up an offensive rebound or go through some dreadful shot selection.

Motum has looked very positive off the bench though and Ingles and Baynes have been bloody good.

Seems like the hopes of the Boomers are always crushed after the first game
    James Layup Shot: Missed Block: Bogut (2 BLK)

Worst cross court I've ever seen.

Tough game. Slovenia shot the lights out. Our pick and roll defense still needs work though.
    There are some good signs. Ingles was good in the 1st half. Motum is continuing his great form. Newley turned back the clock showing he still has that great first step. Broekoff is a lights out from halfcourt on & made some good defensive plays in that last 2mins with those long arms. Anderson & Baynes were solid though Baynes still needs to finish stronger at times. Dante showed flashes of his play making & will hopefully grow in confidence. Delly was a little disappointing though he did come to life in the 2nd half. To be fair he burnt plenty defending Drazic.

Default Game Recap

Tough game - Slovenia came to play! Dragic was on fire and their back court exposed us badly.

Baynes better not be injured or Australia's tournament could be over prematurely.

Game recap now up on PnR:

http://pickandroll.com.au/2014-fiba-...a-win-boomers/

NBA star Goran Dragic propelled a red-hot Slovenia to a 2014 FIBA World Cup 90-80 opening win over Australia in Gran Canaria, Spain

I will just say (apart from tough loss) the NBL need to learn 2 lessons from the World Cup:

1. Bring back the NBL to ABC for the 2015/16 season - awesome coverage, especially with very little commercials.

2. If the NBL does go back to ABC, bring back John Casey - missed that guy!

Down 7 with a minute to go and would have been down 3 with 21 seconds to go if Ingles hit that 3 I think scared Slovenia. So some promising signs in game 1. Will be happy if they come out and smash Korea tonight.

Really missed Mills and Bogut out there too. I dare say we could have won if they played.
    NBL Wishlist

#1: Having the Brisbane Bullets back.

#2: Having the NBL expand to (short term) 12 teams, then to (long term) 14-16 teams.

#3: Having the CORRECT boxscores for every NBL game in history. That way I can FINALLY complete my NBL Archives database! (Yes, quite a few are incorrect, but the league is apparently working on it).

And apparently you can flop at the World Cup?????
    NBL Wishlist

#1: Having the Brisbane Bullets back.

#2: Having the NBL expand to (short term) 12 teams, then to (long term) 14-16 teams.

#3: Having the CORRECT boxscores for every NBL game in history. That way I can FINALLY complete my NBL Archives database! (Yes, quite a few are incorrect, but the league is apparently working on it).

Baynes and Motum were impressive. Hopefully Baynes was just suffering from cramp there the end. Ingles is a good guy to have the ball in his hands when things break down but defensively his effort left a bit to be desired.

Aussies will need more from Dellavedova if they're to compete with the better teams out there.

D. Andersen was as soft as usual, I dare say the rebounding battle was perhaps the most crucial factor in us losing the game.

Not sure why Gibbo saw the minutes that he did in the 4th there. I guess you could say they wanted to throw as many bodies as possible at Dragic (who was sitting at the time in the 4th anyway). The problem with Gibson is that he is an absolute zero offensively at this level and doesn't even look to score or create.

Quote Originally Posted by angry ant View Post
    Seems like the hopes of the Boomers are always crushed after the first game
    Yep, seems to be a tradition. Our first game is always a "key" group game, one that you could say could swing the fortunes of our whole tournament and we seem to always lose it in recent tournaments. Then we start coming good later in the Group stages, but by then we are consigned to facing a tough cross-match opponent (USA) and bow out in the first knockout game.

Yep, definite theme there with our recent tournaments.

I thought on the whole we played ok. Baynes, Ingles and Motum were definitely the best. Newley played hard too. With Andersen, we know what we're getting with him. Yes, he'll leave something to be desired on the glass, but he was one of the few guys capable of doing something when our offence broke down.

Really need a more from Delly. Too many soft turnovers. He needs to get this team running the way it can.

Slovenia were really good. Kept hitting big shots, and Dragic showed that he's legit world class.

Obviously now we gotta make sure we take care of business against Korea and Angola. The crucial game now is Mexico. Need to finish top 3. Unlike the commentary I don't think we should be even thinking "3rd is better than 2nd". Just need to be top 3. If we finish 2nd and win the first crossover, and then get knocked out by USA in the quarters you can't really argue with that too much.

Sloevnia got whatever they wanted, even with G Dragic off. This was never in doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by cobra View Post
    And apparently you can flop at the World Cup?????
    Whether he flopped or not, Baynes still hit him with a 'bow after the whistle.

Motum had the worst of all, threw his head back when the elbows were inches from contact.

Great coverage by ABC, pleasantly surprised by Smyth, would've been nice to have him on the sideline instead of Heal.

Turnovers were our biggest killer, frustrating to watch in the 1st/4th quarters.

Would have liked to see Marto on Goran, not that we could've stopped him.

Jaiwai looked bored the entire match, terrible body language.

Quote Originally Posted by Clips View Post
    Great coverage by ABC, pleasantly surprised by Smyth, would've been nice to have him on the sideline instead of Heal.

Turnovers were our biggest killer, frustrating to watch in the 1st/4th quarters.

Would have liked to see Marto on Goran, not that we could've stopped him.

Jaiwai looked bored the entire match, terrible body language.
    Jawai is awful and morbidly obese, what is he even doing in Spain with the team?

Less of Andersen, more of Motum and Bairstow. Will depend on match ups as to how much each one of these plays.

Hopefully Korea can run us into a bit of confidence...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Traitor View Post
    Jawai is awful and morbidly obese, what is he even doing in Spain with the team?
    Jawai sitting on the bench reminded me of the movie The Blindside; "Ya'll know there's a large coloured boy in your Christmas Card?"

Can't wait for someone (Simmons) to come through the ranks and take Andersens spot. Painful to watch, looked like he blocked 2 of his own shots.

We did not defend the PnR well either and it hurt us bad. Will hurt even more against Lithuania if we don't improve defending it.