Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 World Cup: Boomers vs Korea

Default 2014 World Cup: Boomers vs Korea

The opening day of play at the 2014 FIBA World Cup for men is now over.

For Australia, they were outplayed by a red-hot Slovenia in going down 80-90 in Gran Canaria. They now need to bounce back less than 24 hours later as they take on a Korean team that is also looking for their first win after falling to Angola 69-80.

Preview now up on PnR:

http://pickandroll.com.au/2014-fiba-...ce-back-korea/

I predict Boomers by 8.
    http://pickandroll.com.au/
    Everything NBA | All About Basketball
    Twitter: @DamianArsenis

Just win guys - come on you can do it. Play well and win.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood Jablome View Post
    Our offensive sets are awful.
    Tell me about it. Painful to watch. No movement off the ball, Exum leaving his feet to pass and generally doing f all.
    Will you take a 5 Dennis, take a 5 please!

It would appear that Exum has significant problems finishing at the hoop.

HT highlights show just showed the same Harden steal and layup six times.

Yep. If you have problems finishing at the hoop against Sth Korea I'd call that significant.

There hasn't been a lot to like from Dante thus far. Handle looks uneasy vs extended pressure. They're running him through a lot of picks and he looks so light-on.

Quote Originally Posted by jesuc jexus View Post
    HT highlights show just showed the same Harden steal and layup six times.
    As a Rockets fan, I understand why it is a highlight.

Did Casey just say "hashtag exciting"?

Baynes' face never ceases to amuse me.

Can Jawaii get off the ground anymore?

Anyone know where to get live stats? The FIBA site is friggen useless. Do they use the same mob as the NBL?

Well a bit better. Joe Ingles is an absolute star, Bairstow played well too. Lots room for improvement though.

Can Jawaii get off the ground anymore?
    Probably avoids it so he doesn't knock his teeth out with his own rack.

Our offensive sets are awful.

I saw a video of a clinic that Lemanis did earlier in the year where he ran through the Boomers offence. They ran exactly none of that stuff tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by gus3232 View Post
    Anyone know where to get live stats? The FIBA site is friggen useless. Do they use the same mob as the NBL?
    Are you using http://www.fiba.com/basketballworldcup/2014? It works great for me.
    James Layup Shot: Missed Block: Bogut (2 BLK)

Bit of a walk in the park tonight huh. Glad to see Dante looking more comfortable by the end of the game at least.

Yeah, I don't think we can read a whole lot into that result as Korea don't really have much in their bag of tricks. But the positive was seeing the likes of Exum and Bairstow get in the flow (even if it was when the result was already in doubt) - you could see the confidence levels lift, particularly with Exum and also factoring in the more "unstructured" nature of that 4th period where he used his quick step to get past his man a few times.

The question about whether he can finish in traffic consistently at NBA level is the big one, but I came away tantalised by his potential after at one stage having thoughts to myself of "is this guy a bust?"

Andersen was a crab again - that 4 spot is a tough hole for us right now - hopefully Bairstow transfers this performance against soft opposition into more as the tournament progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by jesuc jexus View Post
    Did Casey just say "hashtag exciting"?
    Anyone got a clip of this for me? Man, I love Casey.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop View Post
    Andersen was a crab again - that 4 spot is a tough hole for us right now - hopefully Bairstow transfers this performance against soft opposition into more as the tournament progresses.
    Why not have Motum start at the four and Andersen as the backup 5...
    James Layup Shot: Missed Block: Bogut (2 BLK)

Default Boomers vs Korea Recap

Good to have Casey back commentating!

Big win by the Boomers.

Recap now available on PnR, including Video of Ingles 5-points in just a few seconds.

http://pickandroll.com.au/2014-fiba-...r-the-boomers/

The Australian Boomers have defeated Korea 89-55, a much need morale-boosting win in their second match of the 2014 FIBA World Cup. With this victory, they look to get their campaign back on track after dropping their first match of the tournament. Forward Joe Ingles took it to Korea early in the match and would lead the Boomers with 17 points on 7/8 shooting, while Aron Baynes again contributed with 13 points and 10 rebounds.
    http://pickandroll.com.au/
    Everything NBA | All About Basketball
    Twitter: @DamianArsenis

Re: the coaching, it feels like this is the area more than the talent on our roster that is lagging behind the other top 10/15 sides. We're playing a very perimeter-based offense that is looking to get shooters open (with mixed success), but I'd like to see them play a lot more inside-out basketball, especially against the top sides. We look like an NBL squad on offense, which is not a compliment.

Andersen is an enigma. I've been hearing about his reputation in Europe for a decade or more but I've yet to actually witness him string together a solid night, though 90% of the time I've seem him it's been as a Boomer, so maybe it's just this stage for whatever reason. He had one decent score on a smaller defender, but missed a couple of easy ones and overall continued to not do anything to dinstinguish himself. Reputation alone keeps him starting ahead of Motum, who manages to be effective for the most part despite a pretty unorthodox style of play.

I haven't been impressed with Bairstow in general, but he looked better against Korea. Really struggles against guys his own size though, which is a problem against all the Euro squads.

Exum looks a lot more confident as the ballhandler, but he's just too far behind Delly at this stage to be that guy. His play right now reminds me of a lot of other young, athletic guys who aren't used to playing against men - he just floats and finesses too much, which works when your defender is 70kgs, not so much when he's 105. Needs to explode to the hoop rather than glide, and the NBA will help him here a great deal hopefully.

Well put Angus. I'm obviously viewing him with Jazz glasses, but I think he's really going to struggle this tournament and this season in the NBA. I know that Jazz will be uptempo, so you think that'd suit him more.

Really needs a couple of intensive pre-seasons to strengthen up. On a Boomers front he should be ready come 2016.