Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2014 World Cup: Boomers vs Korea

Quote Originally Posted by jesuc jexus View Post
    Well put Angus. I'm obviously viewing him with Jazz glasses, but I think he's really going to struggle this tournament and this season in the NBA. I know that Jazz will be uptempo, so you think that'd suit him more.

Really needs a couple of intensive pre-seasons to strengthen up. On a Boomers front he should be ready come 2016.
    I think the pace of the NBA will suit him a lot more as he's at his best when he's got the ball in his hands moving and looking to create and make something happen, but I don't see him as having much value off the ball at this point unless he improves as a shooter. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Jazz bring him along slowly off the bench, because based on what we've seen in Europe the past couple of weeks he looks, well, like a 19 year old kid.

I think you need to put the kid on a team with a few guys that have the ability to finish above the rim, and then decide. Or even a couple of shooters. It's probably a hard job as a non shooting penetration type point guard on this team.

I'm not impressed with this team so far. You know why we don't play inside out? Because all our bigs seem to have five thumbs on each hand, a simple front and we are incapable of making two clean passes to get the guy the ball. Jawai was the exception, but is he actually able to guard anyone, let alone defend a pick and roll?

I wouldn't mind seeing Jawai get a couple of chances at the high post with Baynes on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop View Post
    Andersen was a crab again - that 4 spot is a tough hole for us right now - hopefully Bairstow transfers this performance against soft opposition into more as the tournament progresses.
    I thought I was alone in my thinking that I don't think I have ever seen him play a really good game in the Green & Gold.

Aussies did what they needed to. Big test tomorrow against the might of the Lithuanians.

One thing I am wondering - how is Ingles not in the NBA? Is it because he simply would not be able to defend a soul?

For all you David Andersen haters...he's 5/19 from the field so far this WC.
    "Human beings, as a species, have no more value than slugs"

John Davis (editor, Earth First! Journal)

Quote Originally Posted by gus3232 View Post
    One thing I am wondering - how is Ingles not in the NBA? Is it because he simply would not be able to defend a soul?
    Rejected an offer from Memphis to remain in Europe.
    James Layup Shot: Missed Block: Bogut (2 BLK)

Andersen has great footwork on his offensive post moves - his pivots and drop steps are great to watch.

What is not great to watch is for him to follow up the footwork with a missed 2' jump shot, or to pivot back and go to a fadeaway jumper.

If only he could finish with some aggression he'd be so much better. As it stands, I like seeing Motum on court in favour of Andersen.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusH View Post
    Andersen is an enigma. I've been hearing about his reputation in Europe for a decade or more but I've yet to actually witness him string together a solid night, though 90% of the time I've seem him it's been as a Boomer, so maybe it's just this stage for whatever reason. He had one decent score on a smaller defender, but missed a couple of easy ones and overall continued to not do anything to dinstinguish himself. Reputation alone keeps him starting ahead of Motum, who manages to be effective for the most part despite a pretty unorthodox style of play.
    This.

Andersen certainly "looks" the better player from a skills/fundamentals perspective - as another poster pointed out he has the footwork and also a solid jumpshot which can even stretch out to the 3 point line on occasion. Motum appears more "raw" but appears to bring that instinctive play that Andersen is missing - so far I think he's been more productive in his minutes although neither player has really set the world on fire from a defensive / rebounding perspective.

I think it's probably also unfair to say Andersen has never played a good game for the Boomers, but he is a frustrating player to watch when he's missing those inside bunnies continually or not really being a major factor on the defensive glass (to be fair, he was active on the offensive boards vs Korea).

He's certainly looked a classy operator out there so far. Defensively he's actually got that coveted "length" that coaches love and has been good as far as getting steals/deflections. He hasn't been great in the off-ball type defense though, gets caught on off-ball screens too easily either providing his man with an easy opening or an undesirable switch.

This might change soon?

http://fansided.com/2014/09/01/multi...ngles/#!bN4N52

That'd be nice. At Philly you'd think he'd get significant minutes.

I had no idea he was only 26. It seems like he's been around forever and the Melbourne Dragons was more than 7 years ago.

Also kinda looks like one of those laconic 30-somethings that tear domestic comps apart without moving out of 3rd gear. Then smokes a few durries outside after the game.

I thought he turned down a 2 year $1.5m with Memphis? If Philly are willing to offer more than the minimum, you'd think he would jump all over that, no shortage of opportunity in that no name roster.

I don't know what his EU salary is like, but I'm guessing it's around 1-1.5 mil if he's not willing to go to the NBA for the minimum deal. At this point it might be worth doing it for the experience, as he should be able to make the same amount after his NBA stint.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallitron View Post
    I had no idea he was only 26. It seems like he's been around forever and the Melbourne Dragons was more than 7 years ago.
    This. I was taken aback when I saw that too, I'd just assumed he was about 30 but you forget when he was tearing it up for the Dragons he was still so young. It's a reminder of how good he is, because you would assume his prime years are still to come.

Quote Originally Posted by jesuc jexus
    Also kinda looks like one of those laconic 30-somethings that tear domestic comps apart without moving out of 3rd gear. Then smokes a few durries outside after the game.
    Haha, yes! When I heard these stories of him turning down an NBA deal, I thought each to their own and he must not be one of those guys who is hell bent on doing everything possible to play at the highest level. He may have been happier just playing at a high European level, "chillin out" and enjoying the lifestyle so to speak. Does have that lackadaisical feel about him.