Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2014 World Cup: Boomers vs Angola

From the 18th of August:

Quote Originally Posted by angry ant View Post
    Just looking through the Boomers bracket, if they finish second in their group they will likely play against New Zealand, Ukraine, Finland or the Dominican Republic in the Round of 16 and then the US in the quarter finals.

On the other hand if they finish third, it will likely be Turkey in the Round of 16 and Lithuania in the quarters.

I feel like they could beat Turkey and Lithuania, but it's pretty much impossible for them to beat the US. Do you think that they would tank to get third if their last game decided whether they finished second or third (assuming first is out of their question by that stage)?
    Paul "Dude I Called It" Virzi
    James Layup Shot: Missed Block: Bogut (2 BLK)

Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea Supercluster, The Universe

Talking

OMFG Match FIXING!!!!

LMAO
    OMFG this is for Real!!!! * Shocked *

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

TFRENBAA

Dragic just called us out on Twitter.
    Will you take a 5 Dennis, take a 5 please!

Wow, what an epic tank job from mid 3rd quarter onwards. No defense, no defensive rebounding, no transition D...

Feel a bit conflicted about it, part of me is pleasantly surprised the team is willing to all go all stops for this Top 3 finish, but that loss was more than just "managing the team" by giving stars rest or younger guys opportunity, that's what was happening in the first 2 and a half quarters and we were kicking their butt. Then it became a "go out there and lose" scenario, which is a bit different.

Lemanis even chucking in a few "momentum stopping" timeouts too and the bench were cheering and gesticulating as if we really wanted the W.

Remains to be seen whether it will amount to anything at the end, let's see if Lithuania get the W first!

Quote Originally Posted by jesuc jexus View Post
    Is Casey that oblivious or just feigning?
    Feigning. He's very switched on, he would've known what was going on. Australia must be united as one, and Casey was flying the flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Clips View Post
    Smyth just said Faried will be on Lebron or Jordan level and people will buy tickets just to see him.
    I need to make a list of these epic comments to watch on that ABC iView thingo.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Traitor View Post
    Dragic just called us out on Twitter.
    Ouch.

Lucky Mexico won, or they would've been outraged too at Angola progressing at their expense via a tank job.

FYI, there is recent precedent of this behaviour, from London 2012.

LONDON ? After France's Nicolas Batum delivered a vicious punch to the groin of Spain guard Juan Carlos Navarro, Batum left no confusion over his intentions.

"I wanted to give him a good reason to flop," Batum said.

Batum was angry with the Spanish guards for falling to the floor for what he believed was incidental contact throughout Spain's 66-59 quarterfinal victory over France at North Greenwich Arena.

Asked by Yahoo! Sports if he believed his punch to the groin had given Navarro "good reason," Batum smiled and said, "I hope so."

France's coaches and several players believed Spain intentionally lost a final preliminary round game Monday in which Spain blew a 12-point fourth quarter lead to Brazil. The loss allowed Spain to face France in the quarterfinals, and would potentially keep it away from the powerful United States until the gold-medal game.

Asked if he was convinced that Spain had taken a dive in the fourth quarter of the game with Brazil, Batum told Yahoo! Sports, "They did what they had to do."

When told that some won't think that a deliberate punch to the groin is in the Olympic spirit, Batum said, "Do you think if you lost a game on purpose, that's the Olympic spirit?"

Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop View Post
    Feigning. He's very switched on, he would've known what was going on. Australia must be united as one, and Casey was flying the flag.
    Team Australia! It's all around us.

What an amazing last quarter in the Lithuania/Slovenia game. Slovenia have not scored 9min into it.

Lithuania 66-64, 20 ticks left

Slovenia scored their first points of the quarter

Quote Originally Posted by bad gambler View Post
    What an amazing last quarter in the Lithuania/Slovenia game. Slovenia have not scored 9min into it.
    Lietuva! Lietuva!

Lietuva! Lietuva!
    Lithuania to seal the deal at the stripe. 2 FT's

Lithuania to seal the deal at the stripe. 2 FT's
    Wow, could this be Australia's tournament? Lemanis the man with the magic touch!

Amazing scenes!!!

Lithuania win 67-64

12-2 last quarter in favour of them.

Lithuania clinch top spot, Slovenia second and Australia 3rd.

Lithuania clinch top spot, Slovenia second and Australia 3rd.
    Let me now check Group C cross matches...

EDIT: Turkey it is!

Let me now check Group C cross matches...

EDIT: Turkey it is!
    New Zealand to face LTU. An all-Oceania QF looms

Within the whole tanking to avoid the USA thing, I think it can be lost that turkey is a much harder beat than Finland just to make the quarters. I hope we don't blow this opportunity

Goran Dragic @Goran_Dragic

Basketball is a beautiful sport, there is no room for fixing the game like today Australia v Angola!! @FIBA should do something about that!!!

Tweeted after the Angola game

Quote Originally Posted by Cram View Post
    Within the whole tanking to avoid the USA thing, I think it can be lost that turkey is a much harder beat than Finland just to make the quarters. I hope we don't blow this opportunity
    It was either Turkey or the Dominican Republic. Finland have been eliminated already.

Really, the difference between a loss in the quarters and a loss in the round of sixteen is pretty minor. Either you get to the medal games or you don't, at this point, and avoiding the US gives us a much better chance of that.

Quote Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    It was either Turkey or the Dominican Republic. Finland have been eliminated already.

Really, the difference between a loss in the quarters and a loss in the round of sixteen is pretty minor. Either you get to the medal games or you don't, at this point, and avoiding the US gives us a much better chance of that.
    Yep, no one will remember whether we finished in the R16 or QF but if we get a Top 4 finish it will be one of our better achievements. High risk, high reward as they say.

Goran Dragic @Goran_Dragic

Basketball is a beautiful sport, there is no room for fixing the game like today Australia v Angola!! @FIBA should do something about that!!!

Tweeted after the Angola game
    You do feel for Slovenia a bit. Australia had the luck as far as how the draw played out and also being the first game played on the final day.

Certainly a lot of talk about it. I don't speak Spanish but am watching the Spain v Serbia broadcast and they are saying "Goran Dragic" and "Australia" a lot.

Hard to feel sorry for Slovenia when they go, what 1-14 FG in the last period against Lithuania? Two points for the quarter? Pathetic.

Lucky Australia's sub-editors aren't needing to get involved.
    I can see one of the headlines now - TRAGIC DRAGIC ETC, ETC