Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 79

Thread: 2014 World Cup R16: Boomers v Turkey

  1. #51

    Default

    Ouch. Just. Ouch. That loss hurts more than the loss to the USA in 1990. Soul destroying and nobody to blame but themselves. Jesus did Turkey hit some ridiculous shots late though.

  2. #52

    Default

    Gotta give a lot of credit to Turkey hitting the big shots down the stretch. Clutch. Australia seems to switch too much on the pick and get burned every time

    Disappointing finish offensively. Yes Baynes should have hit Broekhoff, but why did he have the ball 18 feet from the rim with 4 seconds on the shot clock? Our team offense just broke down too much.

    This truly sucks. It was a great effort by the team for the tournament. However, often times you're kicked out of a tournament thinking you could have done better. This team goes out KNOWING they could have

  3. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Traitor View Post
    Coz Lemanis is and has always been a terrible coach.
    Nah, I think he did a very good job this tourney and you don't really want to foul when up 2... you bank on your D to get a stop, the pull up 3 is the low % option and props to the Turkish player for hitting it.

    All in all it was a great step forward for the Boomers. Played some really good ball, and then you consider that Delly, Broekhoff, Bairstow, Exum, Motum have all 1 year or less professional experience at this point. Things are looking up. We were missing our best volume scorer in Mills, whose absence was probably felt most in a slog fest as that game was. And hey, by the next tournament, Andersen might be fully washed up and not make the roster Add experience to the aforementioned players, and guys in Mills/Ingles/Baynes who should be approaching or in their peak age-wise, and we should be a team to be reckoned with. Bogut, if he can be healthy at the point in time of the next Olympics, would be gravy but if not Baynes is starting to come of age in any case.

  4. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cram View Post
    Gotta give a lot of credit to Turkey hitting the big shots down the stretch. Clutch. Australia seems to switch too much on the pick and get burned every time

    Disappointing finish offensively. Yes Baynes should have hit Broekhoff, but why did he have the ball 18 feet from the rim with 4 seconds on the shot clock? Our team offense just broke down too much.

    This truly sucks. It was a great effort by the team for the tournament. However, often times you're kicked out of a tournament thinking you could have done better. This team goes out KNOWING they could have
    Yeah it's a tough feeling, but that's tournament basketball for you. Unless you're an absolute stand out team like a USA or a Spain, a lot of it just comes down to luck and who got hot when. Quite often teams don't get what they deserve in a single elimination style format.

  5. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gus3232 View Post
    Ouch. Just. Ouch. That loss hurts more than the loss to the USA in 1990. Soul destroying and nobody to blame but themselves. Jesus did Turkey hit some ridiculous shots late though.
    What was the loss to USA in 1990?

    Yeah up 5 with 1 minute left. You win the game more often than not in that situation

  6. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop View Post
    Nah, I think he did a very good job this tourney and you don't really want to foul when up 2... you bank on your D to get a stop, the pull up 3 is the low % option and props to the Turkish player for hitting it.

    All in all it was a great step forward for the Boomers. Played some really good ball, and then you consider that Delly, Broekhoff, Bairstow, Exum, Motum have all 1 year or less professional experience at this point. Things are looking up. We were missing our best volume scorer in Mills, whose absence was probably felt most in a slog fest as that game was. And hey, by the next tournament, Andersen might be fully washed up and not make the roster Add experience to the aforementioned players, and guys in Mills/Ingles/Baynes who should be approaching or in their peak age-wise, and we should be a team to be reckoned with. Bogut, if he can be healthy at the point in time of the next Olympics, would be gravy but if not Baynes is starting to come of age in any case.
    Yep, with that group of young guys, plus some other stand outs coming through, Australia should have a fairly settled roster for the next few years. If everyone progresses as expected and is fit and available, Rio should see us with a strong chance.

    Who's coming?

  7. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop View Post
    What was the loss to USA in 1990?(
    Making me feel 1000 years old.

    We pretty much led them most of the game then burped up the ball numerous times in the final period to lose by a point. I can still see Ray Borner throwing that errant pass across the court which led to an intercept layup by (I think) Kenny Anderson.

  8. #58
    Coaches and stuff Coachpete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Shire.....you wish you were here!
    Posts
    3,747

    Default

    Apart from all the errors that we made, we just didn't have a go to guy down the stretch. At times we looked clueless about how to close the game out. Ingles can't be that guy because he can't make free throws (which is pretty bloody disappointing for a player of his calibre). I reckon we could have hauled Andrew Gaze out of the crowd up 5 with a minute to go and win that game.

  9. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cram View Post
    Disappointing finish offensively. Yes Baynes should have hit Broekhoff, but why did he have the ball 18 feet from the rim with 4 seconds on the shot clock? Our team offense just broke down too much.
    I'm not sure if it broke down so much as it just became predictable. That's the difference when you can game plan for a team as opposed to playing 5 games in 7 days during the Group Phase. And when teams can game plan for you and take away the cheap stuff, a lot more boils down to individual brilliance or athleticism. Hence where we missed having Mills today in a game like that. Not claiming he a superstar, but his main skill is the volume scoring capability or ability to create shots. Meanwhile, the Turkish small-ball 4 down the other end pulls up and hits a cold blooded 3 off a pure isolation, no-offense play. That's basketball for you.

  10. #60

    Default

    That one will hurt more than most.

    The scouting reports turned out to be right- when the Aussies were out on the break and running they looked a much more dangerous team than Turkey.

    In the end we can talk about the 2nd last play, but Baynes was dominant all tournament. That free throw shooting was just not up to scratch for players at this level.

    It feels like such a wasted opportunity given our weak pool, and Lithuania potentially between us and a semi. Still, look ahead- I liked what I saw in this tourny. Young team. Imagibe in 2 years, add in Bogut, Patty, maybe Ben Simmons, and add a couple of years development into younger players like Delly, Motum, Broekhoff, Bairstow, Dante. The future of the Boomers looks bright- they could achieve a lot over the next decade.
    Misinforming the Ozhoops community since 2002.

  11. #61

    Default

    Absolutely shattered.

    Missed FT's cost the Boomers dearly.

    Recap now up on PnR including links to game highlights and Lemanis with Baynes at press conference- you even get to hear's Paul's question!

    http://pickandroll.com.au/2014-fiba-...n-the-boomers/

    The road to Rio starts now...
    http://pickandroll.com.au/
    Everything NBA | All About Basketball
    Twitter: @DamianArsenis

  12. #62

    Default

    As bad as Newley's free throws were, his most annoying part of the game was missing a free throw, taking an ungainly swipe about three metres from the loose ball, and then watching them score a layup at the other end.

    We missed Mills big time. No way he misses that wide open corner three.

    Any particular reason Bairstow has the assignment on that last play? Seemed like a mismatch.

  13. #63

    Default

    Note to Alex TRAITOR. Lemanis won 3 NBL titles Has a great deal of help behind him and is the best AUSTRALIAN born coach available. He seldom misses a free throw and certainly does not deliberately foul the opposition when his team is in front. YOU just need to both understand the game and enjoy.

  14. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pointybits View Post
    Lemanis...certainly does not deliberately foul the opposition when his team is in front.
    To be fair, that did cost him game two of the 2011 grand final.

  15. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pointybits View Post
    Note to Alex TRAITOR. Lemanis won 3 NBL titles Has a great deal of help behind him and is the best AUSTRALIAN born coach available. He seldom misses a free throw and certainly does not deliberately foul the opposition when his team is in front. YOU just need to both understand the game and enjoy.
    Yes sir.
    Will you take a 5 Dennis, take a 5 please!

  16. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia.
    Posts
    2,437

    Default

    Typical Boomers.
    James Layup Shot: Missed Block: Bogut (2 BLK)

  17. #67

    Default

    Ughh... so painful. Half court offence is dicey at the best of times, but when Delly is off the floor it becomes awful. When Gibson is on we drop another level again. On the plus side, going forward we'll hopefully see plenty of Mills & Exum.
    The free throws really were a killer though. Credit to Turkey for big shots down the stretch, but we should have been far enough ahead by that point where it wouldn't have mattered.

    2016 looks promising though.

  18. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop View Post
    Nah, I think he did a very good job this tourney and you don't really want to foul when up 2... you bank on your D to get a stop
    not with this starting backcourt. i'm convinced now delly is more suited to defending 2guards and ingles is still ordinary on d at the 3.

    this is why damien martin should have been there.

  19. #69

    Default

    I'm a huge fan of Martin, but lets be realistic, this team needed offense. I spent more time wishing Mills was shooting a corner three than for a defensive orientated point guard. A 3 and D swingman however would have been real handy.

  20. #70

    Default

    Must admit that this morning's game had me wishing for some Damo too. Gibson gave us nothing offensively, except a little bit of confusion from teammates who a couple of times would have been wondering "why didn't he take that shot?"
    Meanwhile his D wasn't much chop IMO. I'd have loved to be able to put Damo onto Guler when he was just helping himself to layups at will in the first half. At least throw a different look at them.

  21. #71

    Default

    There was a disappointing lack of techs called in this game. I've heard of some top level comps where recently up to as many as FIFTEEN techs were called, and that includes parents IN THEIR AREA!!

    Lift your game, Boomers.
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

  22. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wallitron View Post

    Any particular reason Bairstow has the assignment on that last play? Seemed like a mismatch.
    Turkey was playing with that small ball PF for a lot of the time. He obviously hurt us with some big 3s but on the plus side the Boomers were dominating the rebounding with a more traditional front court. I guess the Boomers don't really have a small ball power forward to match up. Motum or Ingles would've been the only options I guess and I'm not sure either are sufficiently superior defensively to justify downsizing for long periods and lose the edge on the boards. Having said this, you are right in that for a "one-off" possession this probably should've been given consideration. Again, easy in hindsight I guess, the stats show the guy didn't have the most efficient game (5/14 FG, although 3 were 3s), but he just happened to bang them in when it hurt most

  23. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dunkin' Dan View Post
    Must admit that this morning's game had me wishing for some Damo too. Gibson gave us nothing offensively, except a little bit of confusion from teammates who a couple of times would have been wondering "why didn't he take that shot?"
    Meanwhile his D wasn't much chop IMO. I'd have loved to be able to put Damo onto Guler when he was just helping himself to layups at will in the first half. At least throw a different look at them.
    Agree Gibson was poor in this game (he looked uncharacteristically unsure of himself, when usually his steadiness is his strength) but to be fair he was pretty good in the group phases.

    I'm not sure that D lost us this game. Offensively is where we needed more I feel, Patty Mills would've helped

  24. #74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chocobloc View Post
    not with this starting backcourt. i'm convinced now delly is more suited to defending 2guards and ingles is still ordinary on d at the 3.

    this is why damien martin should have been there.
    I agree with your points on Delly and Ingles, but I still don't agree you should foul when up 2 with one possession left. After all, our defense had held them to 40% shooting all night so you live with that. And that final possession had very little to do with the defense of Delly/Ingles, it was pretty much a straight out isolation then a cold blooded pull up 3 from a smaller 4-man.

  25. #75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop View Post
    I agree with your points on Delly and Ingles, but I still don't agree you should foul when up 2 with one possession left. After all, our defense had held them to 40% shooting all night so you live with that. And that final possession had very little to do with the defense of Delly/Ingles, it was pretty much a straight out isolation then a cold blooded pull up 3 from a smaller 4-man.
    Those threes in the last quarter were I've child and obviously took some talent but we all know where the game was lost.

    Was Baristows shot definitely after the hooter?

    And is it just me or do most of our bigs have a terrible shooting action?

    Seems to me that the vast majority of Europeans have a text book jumpshot where as the vast majority of Australians are all over the shop?
    Last edited by Alex_Traitor; 08-09-2014 at 09:16 PM.
    Will you take a 5 Dennis, take a 5 please!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •