Thread: Taipans vs. United - Friday 17th

Default Rd 1: Taipans vs. United - Friday 17th

The new Melbourne (dis)United get to return serve on Cairns' home court this Friday night after their abysmal showing on Sunday afternoon. They've certainly got the cattle, but lack the chemistry and intensity. How much that changes with the Enigma, Stephen Dennis, in the side remains to be seen, assuming he plays this one. This afternoon, a bigger issue reared its head with Coach Anstey 'standing down'. This kind of upheaval is certainly counterproductive at any time of the season, but with the team still searching for their identity, will it be enough of a disruption to put an early end to their season? With D-Mac at the helm, how will the squad respond in Cairns with such a short turnaround?

So many questions...

On the other side, Cairns are getting through their stuff rolling like clockwork. They're playing seamlessly like a team who have had half a season already under their belt. Someone needs to check if the coach is actually Aaron Fearne and not an impostor. Wilbekin looks the goods, Craig is a weapon of an impact player off the bench, Loughton looks fit and dangerous... the only concerns at this stage are Tragardh (quite possibly just a little rusty after only playing a few games since his injury last Xmas) and Weigh continues to go missing a little too much. If those 2 can lift their output consistency, Cairns will be a force to be reckoned with this year. The key for them is to turn their home court back into a fortress. Win at home, pick up a few on the road, and we're playing postseason baby!

I always get nervous when a team faces adversity like United have in the last 24 hours. You never know how they'll respond, but with the calibre of their squad, I expect them to come out fighting hard to get some revenge for the hiding they suffered.

I'm still picking Cairns, but I think this one will be much closer.
    Last edited by miracle.touch; 19-10-2014 at 10:44 AM.

Really looking forward to this game. Nice preview there miracle.touch.

United should come out at the very least with the required passion and intensity. Whether that equates to a win and they have their game plan figured out in the week, Im not too sure. I think Cairns to back up their win and position themselves nicely for a top 2 shot.

Now, anyone who has an nbl tv pass, please PM me the log in so I can watch the game? Cheers
    25 seasons as a Wildcats member.

NBL Dream Team FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/NBLDreamTeam

Hopefully United can do more than stand around the perimeter jacking contested threes this time.

There needs to be much more off the ball movement, some well timed cuts and crisp, quick passing. Oh and Dennis would help too. A lot.

I'm feeling bullish, on the basis of the renaissance in the 2011 season - after D-Mac took over they were a different team, going 6-4 over their last 10 and looked invigorated.
    Misinforming the Ozhoops community since 2002.

United's offense reminded me of the blue light discos i used to go to in high school: A lot of standing around looking pensive, unsure what to do with the chicks dancing....

Melb I hope will come up here with a point to prove and there's that thing across all sports where teams seem to bounce up for a win the week after the coach is sacked.

I'm tipping it'll be fiery but I can't see the Taipans taking a step backwards, esp with with the composure the team has shown so far.
    They need to show now that as well as being road warriors they can defend the home castle as well.

I hate the cliche of statement games - but this is totally a statement game..... and I hate myself for writing that....

Quote Originally Posted by King Podge View Post
    United's offense reminded me of the blue light discos i used to go to in high school: A lot of standing around looking at penises
    Fixed.
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

Quote Originally Posted by Cussy View Post
    Fixed.
    hahaha paid

Well I hope that the Taipans can continue their winning streak tonight .
    Can anyone tell me when the last time (if ever) the Taipans started the season 3-0 ?

Feeling a bit nervous about this game and agree with miracle.touch that this game will be much closer than the game on Sunday. It's important the Taipans win some early home games but with Dennis back in for Melbourne and Anstey out, they should be a much more formidable opponent tonight. D-Mac did a good job when he took over from Westover a few years ago and I suspect will get more out of the Melbourne players than Anstey was able to.

The Taipans are going to have to be on their game to take this out and start reversing the trend of the last 2 years of losing a lot of their home games. Wilbekin seems to thrive on the pressure though and hopefully this rubs off on the rest of the team if it gets close.

Taipans by 3

Tropo - I can't remember the Taipans ever starting the season 3-0 but that doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't happened.

United will look to push the ball in transition. Defensively they will apply more pressure up the court.

It will be a totally different game to Sunday. But whether that means the result will be different is another question.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
    Feeling a bit nervous about this game and agree with miracle.touch that this game will be much closer than the game on Sunday. It's important the Taipans win some early home games but with Dennis back in for Melbourne and Anstey out, they should be a much more formidable opponent tonight. D-Mac did a good job when he took over from Westover a few years ago and I suspect will get more out of the Melbourne players than Anstey was able to.

The Taipans are going to have to be on their game to take this out and start reversing the trend of the last 2 years of losing a lot of their home games. Wilbekin seems to thrive on the pressure though and hopefully this rubs off on the rest of the team if it gets close.

Taipans by 3

Tropo - I can't remember the Taipans ever starting the season 3-0 but that doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't happened.

Spot on, United should be a totally different team - if they aren't they should all join CA on the sideline.

We started 3-0 or 4-0 the year we made the finals I think. I can't think of a year where we've looked so polished to start the season though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tropo View Post
    Well I hope that the Taipans can continue their winning streak tonight .
    Can anyone tell me when the last time (if ever) the Taipans started the season 3-0 ?
    I can, but I'm a positive thinking nutter, & not statsmith.
    "Box of Chocolates" OzHo.

Cairns are just too polished offensively with a great system and a ton of weapons. A monty for top 4 and will do damage.

Melbourne Unite - Not great success.

Will interim coach fall on his sword?
    Will you take a 5 Dennis, take a 5 please!

Even Stephen Weigh is playing well!
    James Layup Shot: Missed Block: Bogut (2 BLK)

Haven't seen the game but there are three stats that worry me:

- Kickert- 2 rebounds
    - Cairns 37 rebounds to Melbourne 29
    - Points in the paint 42 to 22

What I noticed on Sunday, from sitting close to the action, was the sheer lack of size in this team. Kickert is the size of a power forward, not a Centre. You can't win championships without any presence around the basket. Early signs suggest they lack just that.

Couple of thoughts from the game...

Melbourne's chemistry is still very bad. This team will implode if it keeps going the same way.

McCrae is all swagger and no substance. And he needs a sandwich.

I finally got to see the Enigma, Stephen Dennis, play. I was beginning to wonder if he was a real person. Didn't do much to impress, but I don't think he's fully over his injury.

Kickert is a bust. Soooo glad I didn't pick him in my DT.

Has anyone ever seen Greg Page & Liev Shrieber in the same room at the same time?

Also...

can't wait to see highlight reel of Torrey Craig's dunk!

It makes me want to cry that the super important Victorian market have such a terrible, terrible basketball team.

But I guess better than a marginal team being shit?

Melbourne showing talent doesn't mean much if you aren't United. I've gone from considering them a championship threat to now thinking they could be wooden spoon material? Long way to go yet, but this league will be too close to be giving the other teams a head start whilst you figure out what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop View Post
    Melbourne showing talent doesn't mean much if you aren't United. I've gone from considering them a championship threat to now thinking they could be wooden spoon material? Long way to go yet, but this league will be too close to be giving the other teams a head start whilst you figure out what you're doing.
    This completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Vertical View Post
    Haven't seen the game but there are three stats that worry me:

- Kickert- 2 rebounds
    - Cairns 37 rebounds to Melbourne 29
    - Points in the paint 42 to 22
    Would love to know how much that equates to as far as $ per rebound, seeing that he is on marquee money?
    25 seasons as a Wildcats member.

NBL Dream Team FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/NBLDreamTeam

Very impressive win by the Taipans.