Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: R3 - Perth v Sydney Fri 24/10

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffa View Post
    Always amusing reading NBL players tweets after something like this.

Of course Redhage and Wagstaff are dirty players and it's not ok for them to do what they do, but when our team mate throws an elbow at a player in the air, we will back him because he is a high character guy.

#Hypocrisy

Nice of Boti to take the chance to stick the boot into Redhage and Wagstaff and have a little dig at Nick Marvin too.
    Yep, I thought so too... and he didn't mention that one of the umpires called it a DQ as Cussy pointed out either.....

Nice of Boti to take the chance to stick the boot into Redhage and Wagstaff and have a little dig at Nick Marvin too.
    Yes, what a shock that was to read

As for the contact, I'm thinking high chest that then slid upward. If the throat had been the first point of contact of that amount of force, it would be a lot worse than just "a little sore" right now.

Always amusing reading NBL players tweets after something like this.

Of course Redhage and Wagstaff are dirty players and it's not ok for them to do what they do, but when our team mate throws an elbow at a player in the air, we will back him because he is a high character guy.

#Hypocrisy

I'm still waiting for any evidence or anything specific about how the Wildcats players are "dirty." They're physical and they niggle - dirty means something else all together.
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

I thought Redhage's point he made in todays paper was accurate. Childress should be more upset at his teammates in not calling out the screen to him and letting him take the hit.
    Thought Perry's performance at PG was woeful, just dribbled into trouble rather thsn take the easy pass and then get the ball back. Worst display was when Redhage had him in single coverage and he couldn't get around him just tried to go straight through him and turned the ball over yet again. Never seen a PG at this level look more at his shoes than anyone else. Looks like they really miss Ogilvy, Brandt and Duniker don't offer much at all, they have alot to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Cussy View Post
    I'm still waiting for any evidence or anything specific about how the Wildcats players are "dirty." They're physical and they niggle - dirty means something else all together.
    I agree. They don't go out there with intent to hurt someone else, which is what dirty is to me.

I've never seen either of them do what Childress did.

IT?S the wild National Basketball League elbow which has gained worldwide notoriety and will most likely see Sydney Kings star NBA import Josh Childress facing suspension.
    Childress, who still pockets a cool $7 million a season
    If the kids read that, it may well boost interest in playing in the NBL. Briefly.
    Childress said a number of NBL players had privately applauded his stance.
    The old, "I've had PMs," weight of numbers, God on my side defence.
    As far as we know, we are the first and only instance of the Universe becoming aware of itself. Given long enough, carbon begins to wonder where it came from.

Surely if they constantly do stuff that warrants an elbow to the throat it would have been captured on camera by now!

Also, it's funny how the Wildcats as a whole get labelled as a dirty team, yet no one has anything against Martin, Beal, Daniels, Knight, U'u, Ross, Hire or Jervis individually.
    James Layup Shot: Missed Block: Bogut (2 BLK)

Agree. Dirty is a poor choice of words when discussing Wagstaff and Redhage. I would run with annoying. But when they are on your team they are appreciated.

Apart from the irrelevant dig at Marvin and the equally irrelevant, but true nonetheless (because of their description above), reference to Redhage and Wagstaff I thought Boti's article summed up the situation (this particular situation not the annoying poster from hoops) pretty well.

You won't find any beyond: Frustration at the illegal stuff they constantly get away with.

That's my explanation, not my opinion. Although Martin's do-no-wrong, protected status is outrageous in my opinion. It's way more than anything enjoyed by Gaze, Anstey et al. Way more. It is also more insidious. Gaze being protected from being fouled is very different to Martin being protected from fouling. He is enjoying this:
    Give a man a reputation as an early riser and he may sleep 'til noon.
    and has been for at least 2 years.

That's nobody's fault but the NBL's. Perth are guilty of nothing more than playing to the whistle. I'm pretty sure that Perth fans are well aware of this, but reluctant to acknowledge it lest it burst the bubble. It won't. Everybody else is already acknowledging it. Enjoy it.

...but don't embrace it too hard. If you're genuinely interested in the Wildcats, you should feel slightly uncomfortable at this period of uber-dominance on and off the court, prime position on the import market and which extends even into the referees dressing room. Those who know why will understand, those who can't work it out, those with gleaming Championship rings in their eyes, will just keep banging the rocks together until there's no one left to play.
    Last edited by mattic; 26-10-2014 at 12:33 PM.
    As far as we know, we are the first and only instance of the Universe becoming aware of itself. Given long enough, carbon begins to wonder where it came from.

I think the elephant in the room here is how much Josh will be donating to Telethon.
    Will you take a 5 Dennis, take a 5 please!

Quote Originally Posted by thomnuffy View Post
    I feel like ejection is probably punishment enough, surprised to see many expecting a suspension... I'm certainly not.
    Gleeson's comment in the presser about being rubbed out for a few weeks for similar incident in the AFL makes me reconsider my position. Although the NBL hasn't really seemed to want to hand out big punishments in the past...

Quote Originally Posted by mattic View Post
    That's nobody's fault but the NBL's. Perth are guilty of nothing more than playing to the whistle. I'm pretty sure that Perth fans are well aware of this, but reluctant to acknowledge it lest it burst the bubble. It won't. Everybody else is already acknowledging it. Enjoy it.

...but don't embrace it too hard. If you're genuinely interested in the Wildcats, you should feel slightly uncomfortable at this period of uber-dominance on and off the court, prime position on the import market and which extends even into the referees dressing room. Those who know why will understand, those who can't work it out, those with gleaming Championship rings in their eyes, will just keep banging the rocks together until there's no one left to play.
    Sounds like you're buying into the hysteria more than any Perth fans are.

The only thing I'm uncomfortable about right now is the inconsistency of the refereeing, partly because it obviously detracts from the games themselves, and partly because of the silly out-of-game stuff it generates amongst the fans, the players, the media, and the odd super-bitter ex-GM.
    Getting more exposure for the sport is good ... to a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkin' Dan View Post
    I didn't intend to sound hysterical. Might you be exaggerating?

I didn't intend to sound hysterical. Might you be exaggerating?
    Personally I think you're drawing a rather long bow. But go for it ...

My opinion of the slap & tickle that goes on may be countered by all sorts of things like never having played, not having watched much NBL beyond Crocs games and an oft-stated preference for parity.
    All of which are much better than, "you're hysterical." But I guess you're playing to your audience
    Not sure one could draw a long bow if one is hysterical, but go for it.
    Last edited by mattic; 26-10-2014 at 01:54 PM.

Ok, get a room you two.

mattic, I agree with your first paragraph (quoted by Dan), and I agree with the theory in your second, but I don't think it has or will come in to play.
    Go, Gary Go, Ervin puts on a show

No, it'll get caught before then, the NBL are mental, but they're not mental. Same with the Wildcats.

My slippery slope fallacy was for the slope-headed.

My opinion of the slap & tickle that goes on may be countered by all sorts of things like never having played, not having watched much NBL beyond Crocs games and an oft-stated preference for parity.
    All of which are much better than, "you're hysterical." But I guess you're playing to your audience
    Not sure one could draw a long bow if one is hysterical, but go for it.

Just for the record, I did not say you were hysterical.

There have, however, been a lot of over the top things said about the Wildcats in general in recent times, and from my POV they seem to have gained a little momentum as a result of Friday.
    It's interesting to me the way the fallout from an incident that had very little to do with the Wildcats, can result in the Wildcats receiving flak.
    Last edited by Dunkin' Dan; 26-10-2014 at 02:03 PM.

I don't know, I reckon he's pretty brilliantly summed up the state of the NBL at the moment, which basically consists of one city all pumped up about their team and begging the rest of the country to give a shit about the league they are dominating (in more ways than one).
    Ozhoops March Madness: It's back for 2011! Current bracket here

Just for the record, I did not say you were hysterical.

There have, however, been a lot of over the top things said about the Wildcats in general in recent times, and from my POV they seem to have gained a little momentum as a result of Friday.
    It's interesting to me the way the fallout from an incident that had very little to do with the Wildcats, can result in the Wildcats receiving flak.
    Fair enough. I think the flack is warranted, but not because of the incident. I agree that directly linking them is invalid.

My main point is about Martin's infallibility.
    Last edited by mattic; 26-10-2014 at 02:39 PM.

So are we of the opinion that this is a good thing for the league or not:

So are we of the opinion that this is a good thing for the league or not:

Due to my complete ignorance of social media & trends, I'll risk making a fool of myself.

If the NBL dishes out a strong message that NO-ONE has the privilege to be reckless, & without regard for the rules, then it is most definitely a good thing.

To be clear, I'm not advocating that Childress be sent home, or anything approaching being as drastic as that, but an example needs to be set. What credentialed NBAesque players need to understand, is that they don't come here for a free ride. It's one of the few times that I'd say that it's warranted to ping a player with appropriate fines.

The message needs to be sent, that regardless of who you are, crippling your NBL club, whether it be through OTT game suspensions, or your expectation that your club is in a position to heavily finance monetary penalties, is just not on.

Any player, invited here to showcase their skills, should be accountable for their actions.
    "Box of Chocolates" OzHo.

Absolutely wrong.

He should be treated exactly the same as every other player with a clear record would be treated. The punishment should be on the action. His status in the game or personal wealth are totally irrelevant.

The most shocking revelation in all this is that he's being paid 7 million, is that really right?

The most shocking revelation in all this is that he's being paid 7 million, is that really right?
    That's from the Suns, not the Kings.