Thread: Perth Wildcats 2016/2017 Discussion Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Perth Wildcats 2016/2017 Discussion Thread

We are now the defending basketball champions of the NBL, but with big off-court changes rumoured to take place in the off season - what will the 2016/17 defending champions look like?

I gotta say, my skepticism on the 2015/16 season was proven wrong. The Wildcats "ageing" core proved they still have what it takes.

The addition of a capable wing (Prather) and the capital X factor of Jawai showed this team still had lots left under the hood to win it all.

Can they do it again?

If we kept the team exactly how it is, and managed injuries then I think the cats would have what it takes to go back-to-back.

However, contracts are up, there's a new team and new salary cap, player point rankings and a third import spot could change things up massively.

While early last season I questioned if it's time to "blow-up" the core which seemed to have plateaued, this season I'm leaning towards the need to keep the core in-tack and build around our guys, as it's easier to fixs gaps and weaknesses then start fresh.

Pretty excited to see what the 2016/17 lineup will look up come October/November.
    No Signature.

After Jervis' virtual disappearing act in the GF series, I'm not as convinced he is the answer as starting centre.

Jawai's performance in the deciders makes me inclined to want to bring him back.

I still think he's barely scratched the surface of what he can do when 100% fit.
    Will you take a 5 Dennis, take a 5 please!

Quote Originally Posted by RaMarQabLe View Post
    We are now the defending basketball champions of the NBL, but with big off-court changes rumoured to take place in the off season - what will the 2016/17 defending champions look like?

I gotta say, my skepticism on the 2015/16 season was proven wrong. The Wildcats "ageing" core proved they still have what it takes.

The addition of a capable wing (Prather) and the capital X factor of Jawai showed this team still had lots left under the hood to win it all.

Can they do it again?

If we kept the team exactly how it is, and managed injuries then I think the cats would have what it takes to go back-to-back.

However, contracts are up, there's a new team and new salary cap, player point rankings and a third import spot could change things up massively.

While early last season I questioned if it's time to "blow-up" the core which seemed to have plateaued, this season I'm leaning towards the need to keep the core in-tack and build around our guys, as it's easier to fixs gaps and weaknesses then start fresh.

Pretty excited to see what the 2016/17 lineup will look up come October/November.
    Martin has a player option for next season, can't see him going anywhere (possibly the Hawks, due to Bevo, but I highly doubt it.) There was the story that Martin and the Wildcats mutually agreed to end his contract before this season and then re-signed him to a new contract in order to get a lower points rating, so I don't know if the option still exists or not.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/bas...-1226917455842

Wagstaff also has a player option for next season:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketba...508-zr6so.html

As does Jervis:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/bas...-1226949756641

Hire, Knight and Redhage all signed 3 year deals at the end of the 2012-2013 season, so they are all out of contract.

Prather, Kenny and Jawai were on 1 year deals.

Beal is out of contract, he had an option year which he exercised this season.

I'll have a look at points.

I asked Beal and Prather if they were coming back next season. Both seemed interested but non committal, saying they will see how things pan out.

Thoughts on Gleeson?

Two championships in three years. You can't complain with that.

Clearly he's doing something that works.

I think he just rubs people (general public) the wrong way.
    No Signature.

Quote Originally Posted by RaMarQabLe View Post
    Thoughts on Gleeson?

Two championships in three years. You can't complain with that.

Clearly he's doing something that works.

I think he just rubs people (general public) the wrong way.
    Well he did inherit a team that had a core of players that won a title and had been to 2 more grand finals.

I think the big difference in 2014 and 2016 vs 2012 and 2013 is that Martin was healthy and having 2 imports helped.

Obviously Jawai was a big reason for the championship this season too. Even though he didn't play as well as what people probably expected him to due to his back, he took up a lot of room and allowed Knight to move to the PF, which is more his natural role.

Gleeson does rub people up the wrong way as you mentioned, as he is always yelling. I think also that a lot of people didn't like how the whole Bevo situation went down.

So next year looks pretty good...

PG DMart
    SG Lisch (as an aussie)
    SF Ennis (or Prather if he doesn't want to come home just yet)
    PF Knight
    C Jawai

Bench: Kenny, Beal, Hire, Wagstaff, Jervis

Redhage retires so he can spend more time with his championships.

Also bring back Brad Robbins son as a development player.

Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Wiezels View Post

PG DMart
    SG Lisch (as an aussie)
    PF Knight
    C Jawai

Who's Brad Robbinson?
    Will you take a 5 Dennis, take a 5 please!

Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Wiezels View Post

PG DMart
    SG Lisch (as an aussie)
    PF Knight
    C Jawai

LOL @ Lisch coming back. Won't happen.