Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dante Exum

Default Dante Exum

Dante has been described at the Nike hoop summit as "shades of Michael Jordan"...and "baby Jordan"

The quote is in this youtube clip of his highlights - a nice mix there of what he's got to offer...
    Tool Herder: Special Projects Team Lead / Mayor of Twatland / Herder of Tools
    The Kings are dead... LONG LIVE THE KINGS!

Didn't his dad get dunked on?

Quote Originally Posted by Clips View Post
    Didn't his dad get dunked on?
    Reported to admin. Moderators, quick!
    Ozhoops March Madness: It's back for 2011! Current bracket here

See Dante speak! He does have an interesting mix of Australian and African-American accent with his notable dad Cecil. But then, he represents a growing and often unacknowledged part of the African-American and of the growing African diasporas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LspMVSq0-3Y

I think even Cecil picked up a trace of an Aussie accent too after being with the North Melbourne Giants and the Geelong Supercats. Contrasts in music between the two in the following video from ABC24's ContactSports is interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyrV5YxOeVg

If the Boomers can't have Melbourne-born Kyrie Irving with them. Dante, already the youngest Boomer on the senior level since Drewy and that's saying something special with a bright future ahead, would be the next best thing, if not better. Indiana, Louisville, North Carolina (dad of course played there), and Georgetown are going hard after him.
    Jusqui'ici tout va bien...

Canada's got Andrew Wiggins. We Americans have, among other players, Jabari Parker. Germany has Dennis Schroeder. You Aussies have Dante Exum. All young rising basketball talent that played at the Nike Hoops Summit. We can expect all but Schroeder, who's already in the NBA with Atlanta, of them to be in next year's exciting NBA Draft. Thanks to Basketball Australia TV, we see the firmly grounded young man behind all the buzz and the hype, hoping to continue carrying the Aussie flag in the NBA.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpU98SDd46o

Network Ten's The Project piece of Dante Exum:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBpvwypNyJQ

Dad Cecil did of course play as a MJ teammate back at North Carolina and that's often noted.

Has anyone seen Jack McVeigh play? He seems to be outshining Dante Exum at this schools tournament and I remember him putting huge stats up at nationals this year. Is he Boomer material?
    James Layup Shot: Missed Block: Bogut (2 BLK)

Dante's planning on some college visits to Indiana, North Carolina, Kentucky, Michigan and Oregon making his list of final schools in the coming months with his Melbourne schooling done. If I were an NBA GM at the upcoming draft, I'd take a risk on him, mystery or not. Better if there were multiple picks for my team with Andrew Wiggins first and then Dante. Man, what a team those would be!
    http://zagsblog.com/articles/dante-e...t-move-awaits/

He's and his dad getting some SI love!
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...9353/index.htm

Dante impresses at the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago as the biggest enigma entering the draft season, which, depending on an NBA team's perspective, is a double-edged sword with a game mix of Ginobili and Westbrook, he says. Been working out in LA since February:
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketba...517-zrfw5.html
    http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/05/...ml?sp=/99/103/
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-manu-ginobili
    http://bostonherald.com/sports/celti...stery_in_draft

He joins the Adidas stable with the likes of Damian Lillard, Dwight Howard, and John Wall
    http://www.oregonlive.com/playbooks-...lia_signs.html

I can't see him falling past the Lakers unless they improve. Lets just hope the Bucks stay top three though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallitron View Post
    I can't see him falling past the Lakers unless they improve. Lets just hope the Bucks stay top three though.
    Unless the Lakers pick goes towards a Love fest

I can't see the Lakers giving up their pick for Love, and they have nothing else. Their only chance was if he stayed for another year.

what if the pick becomes top 3?

I can't see the Lakers giving up their pick for Love, and they have nothing else. Their only chance was if he stayed for another year.
    Thought this was an interesting article

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/...-pick-for-love

It'd be good to have an Aussie on the Nuggets - two pitiful chances of getting a top 3 pick.
    RIP Melbourne Tigers.

Wherever Love gets traded, he won't sign an extension because he can get a better contract by becoming an UFA and then staying where he is (CP3), or he can do what Dwight did and lose a year by signing elsewhere. Either way Lakers get their shot at him in free agency.

As for the topic at hand, I hope getting dunked on doesn't run in family.

Quote Originally Posted by Coachpete View Post
    Thought this was an interesting article
    Interesting in a crazy way? If they get Love for their pick, they have Bryant, Love, Nash and Sacre, and $13 million to spend. You give up your top 10 pick in the best draft in 10 years so you can field that roster?

I feel like the Lakers (or perhaps just Lakers fans?) are learning the new CBA the hard way. Even if they signed Melo and Love for next season and only give up their pick, they probably don't get out of the first round. The only route to fast rebuild is multiple all-stars taking less money, and your two 35+ guys that didn't make the all-star team, and played a combined 21 games last year are about to eat $34 million.
    Last edited by Wallitron; 20-05-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Wherever Love gets traded, he won't sign an extension
    Is sign and trade still an option?

Interesting in a crazy way? If they get Love for their pick, they have Bryant, Love, Nash and Sacre, and $13 million to spend. You give up your top 10 pick in the best draft in 10 years so you can field that roster?

I feel like the Lakers (or perhaps just Lakers fans?) are learning the new CBA the hard way. Even if they signed Melo and Love for next season and only give up their pick, they probably don't get out of the first round. The only route to fast rebuild is multiple all-stars taking less money, and your two 35+ guys that didn't make the all-star team, and played a combined 21 games last year are about to eat $34 million.
    Yes, crazy interesting. Whatever happens I think they're hoping for a lot from some cut price players. You would think that the money they've thrown to hang on to Kobe wants them getting more in return than mediocrity for another season. I've got no doubt if his body hangs together he's still an All Star calibre player, but as to how they can put anything around him....buggered if I know. Nash is a complete bust

i think it's worth considering trading a pick for love.

love, while not a proven winner, is a star. he's an LA guy and once kobe and nash come off the books, they'll be able to start putting together a quality team. unlike small markets like utah, minny, etc, the lakers don't need to rely on the draft to rebuild.

sure they'd essentially be writing next season off, but who cares? they're not winning it all anyway.

Is sign and trade still an option?
    As an "extend and trade" he can be if salary is matched or team receiving Love is under the soft cap after receiving Love's current salary ($15m ish). This would land Wolves the most value if they can find an appropriate suitor, likely not the Lakers due to lack of assets. This is also unlikely for Love as extension doesn't pay as much as max for UFA.

If they wait til he's a FA, when he chooses to opt out, they can S+T him to a team that will be under the "apron" (soft cap + $6m off top of head). Love will get his 5th year in s+t.

Quote Originally Posted by jesuc jexus View Post
    i think it's worth considering trading a pick for love.

love, while not a proven winner, is a star. he's an LA guy and once kobe and nash come off the books, they'll be able to start putting together a quality team. unlike small markets like utah, minny, etc, the lakers don't need to rely on the draft to rebuild.

sure they'd essentially be writing next season off, but who cares? they're not winning it all anyway.
    Eye on Basketball podcast today with Zach Harper and guest Dan Woike spend an hour going over potential Love trades, expected value, and what it would mean for receiving teams.

Zach thinks Lakers best option is to hold their pick and wait for 2016 when Kobe is off the books, then try sign a double of Durant and Love if he hasn't extended or opted out a year early.

Eye on Basketball podcast today with Zach Harper and guest Dan Woike spend an hour going over potential Love trades, expected value, and what it would mean for receiving teams.

Zach thinks Lakers best option is to hold their pick and wait for 2016 when Kobe is off the books, then try sign a double of Durant and Love if he hasn't extended or opted out a year early.

Not sure if Kobe would agree

Love was 5th pick. If the Lakers can get 6th or better in such a good draft, chances are they get a player at least as good as Love in the long run, and get him for 4 years on rookie money. Plus they'll likely suck next year again and might even pick up another good rookie.

Saying the Lakers don't rely on the draft is still pre new CBA thinking. Everyone will need the draft now, unless you can do a superfriends free agent deal.

Yup. They're much better off keeping the pick and grabbing one of the potential franchise players that the top 5-7 of this draft are projected as, gaining 4 years of bargain value. You've only got to look the lack of deadline action this year to see how valuable picks are now being regarded.

They don't have next years 1st rounder, so unless they can snag some gems in the 2nd round, they will have to pay vet mins or guys looking to prove their worth more by signing short term deals (swaggy P, Kaman, Hill) to fill out the roster.

FWIW, the best Lakers 2nd rounder of the past 6 years is one of Devin Ebanks, Bobby Sacre, or Darius Morris. Handy, but not contributors on a decent team. They also have 3 guys who never went further than a few Summer League games, like Ater Majok.

Sorry Kobe, your team can't compete with your contract on the books.
    Last edited by Clips; 20-05-2014 at 06:01 PM.