Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: NBL Dream Team 2018/19

I have a solution! Finish in the top 3! haha
    25 seasons as a Wildcats member.

NBL Dream Team FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/NBLDreamTeam

Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    I think the system is fair but If someone wins their league from 4th and doesn't get promoted...that sucks.
    How about someone who last week was ranked 11th overall and got demoted from oz hoops 2 -(

Quote Originally Posted by mammes View Post
    How about someone who last week was ranked 11th overall and got demoted from oz hoops 2 -(
    hahaha

I had to stop playing in the Ozhoops leagues a few seasons ago because I hated coming up against teams out of contention early on for a good overall position who then focus on league play and have their way with you haha

Quote Originally Posted by mammes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild 1 View Post
    hahaha

I had to stop playing in the Ozhoops leagues a few seasons ago because I hated coming up against teams out of contention early on for a good overall position who then focus on league play and have their way with you haha
    That's why we have the Champions and Premier Leagues that are based on total points... The Ozhoops 1-3 leagues for some head to head fun and to reward good form over a number of seasons, and the Champions and Premier Leagues to reward great from in a single season.

Great to see all five of our leagues are in the top seven leagues overall including the top two leagues overall, just a pity there are no prizes in this format as I enjoy it a lot more than Fantasy.

The League play has always fascinated me. I'm ranked 114th and haven't had a particularly good season, and was justifiably relegated from Ozhoops #1 (record of 4-10), but finished 3rd in the OzHoops Premier League, eventually losing in the semi's, where I would've expected to finish in the bottom 3.

Hopefully I rise 15 places & at least finish in double digits, rather than triple digits, although the absence of Shaun Long from my side suggests this probably won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayzoos All-Stars View Post
    The League play has always fascinated me. I'm ranked 114th and haven't had a particularly good season, and was justifiably relegated from Ozhoops #1 (record of 4-10), but finished 3rd in the OzHoops Premier League, eventually losing in the semi's, where I would've expected to finish in the bottom 3.

Hopefully I rise 15 places & at least finish in double digits, rather than triple digits, although the absence of Shaun Long from my side suggests this probably won't happen.
    A lot of the league play comes down to just plain luck. So easy for a really good team to just cop a bad set of match-ups. Think most of us have had those stretches where you just can't nab a league win despite having a really good team and high overall rank.

The teams that get that really great start to the season however and make some really quick early cash always dominate the H2H match-ups as they usually have caps that the other teams just cant match, and just go from strength to strength.

Looks like its going to be 4 in and 4 out of Premier league this season. The competition is now as tight as ever, I have seen all us Ozhoopers improving together over the last 4 or 5 seasons.

So I finished 2nd in the end. I had a good last round with 657 despite Wesley benched over Boone. I traded Patterson/Ware-->Kay/Wesley. I had intended to keep Ware for the last round but needed his price and position to be able to finally get DJK on court in my guards.

Even my 657 only matched number 1 who deservedly took the prize. My score was however enough to go from 3rd to 2nd.

The story of my season was getting on Bogut in R2 and thanks mainly to him (with help from Boone underperforming) got a break of about 150 points in 1st by about R5. I then let that lead slip by wrongly backing in Wesley over Boone in rounds 5 and 6 and dropped to 7th.

I then worked myself back up to first by R11 but then leaked 200 points to the eventual winner over R11-12 through not having Sobey in R11 and not then having Long in R12 when he went off as C. Sobey was a calculated decision to skip him due to price. Long was basically a bad miss due to me not paying enough attention over the Xmas holiday period.

I dropped to 3 in R11 and then to 4th in R12. I stayed at 4th for 5 rounds unable to make any inroads into the gap to 1st place. One move that in particular cost me was bringing in Wiley over Conger in R11. Wiley went really badly for me after that so much so that he lost $40K and I ended up still with him at the end. Whereas Conger went on a handy little run and made $50K which was what allowed the teams around me to catch up my cap.

Over the last 2 rounds I managed to rise to 3rd and then finally to 2nd. Interestingly I ended up normalising my cap to the leader. Putting my normal level of attention into my trades from R14 paid off in terms of holding ground but the gap to 1st never got any closer.

Well done to the winner and thanks to all of you for the banter and advice on here. It's been a little quieter than last years but still good fun.

Congratulations to both Hondo and Kyrie2Nation who took out Oz Hoops #1 and Oz Hoops Champions respectively.

In Oz Hoops #1, Hondo beat me comfortably by 61 points thanks to McCarron (100) vs Ware (20).

In Oz Hoops Champions, Kyrie2Nation beat me by just 3 points and it came down to the last shot of the last game of the regular season and unfortunately for the Huskies, Casper Ware missed a 3 pointer.
    Hotham Huskies

Finished 3rd overall after having to swing random moves in the final round to try and bridge the gap to first. Didn't pay off, as expected, but rather than finish 2nd, which for me may as well be 50th, had to go for the win! Not helped by Randle not playing.

Was top 2 most of the run home. Then top team brought in Conger and started him the round he went off which was a big blow. Really was the move that made me the chaser and was unable to get that back.

Finished 3rd overall after having to swing random moves in the final round to try and bridge the gap to first. Didn't pay off, as expected, but rather than finish 2nd, which for me may as well be 50th, had to go for the win! Not helped by Randle not playing.

Was top 2 most of the run home. Then top team brought in Conger and started him the round he went off which was a big blow. Really was the move that made me the chaser and was unable to get that back.
    I didn't realise that was you in second, well done on a great year. We just couldn't bridge that gap Bailey got up around R12.

That Conger move was one of those luck factors you need to win. He'd gone zero the week before. Him getting Conger and me getting Wiley at about the same time was so important for him relative to me. Plus me not making enough of an effort to get on Long for that R12 captaincy choice. I had Long pegged as 30-40 and one you could skip at $200K given they had a single the week after. Bang, 2 games later and it is all over. As I said before, that was my fault not paying enough attention to Long's big score uplift around that time. He was more important than Bogut over the second half of the season.

The other key move he made relative to me was cashing out to Webster to fund Long. Taking the hit on a cheap 10th man to keep the on court points moving. I was a bit stuck on wanting to keep 10 players > $100K.

Towards the end like you I tried some POD strategies to claw points back including getting on Kay when Bailey didn't and that clawed back some points but not enough.

Yeah, I couldn't believe Bailey started him after that zero! I thought, has this guy managed to hack the system, such was my amazement! haha

Hondo, from my perspective, I thought there was a 1-2 round patch mid-season (around R8-R10) where you were leading, and I was just happy to sit in 2nd place. My memory is average, but you may be able to identify this stretch - I remember you loaded up a level above what I thought you would have with about 10 guys on doubles, and I went the other way and gambled against that and prepped for next round. I felt that was a turning point in your season, and also in mine that gave me a real serious chance to win it. I think I then took over the lead in round 11 and thought I had a pretty good chance to win it.
    (Then obviously about 2 or 3 rounds later Bailey hit that Conger jackpot, and it was all uphill after that.)

Yeah, I couldn't believe Bailey started him after that zero! I thought, has this guy managed to hack the system, such was my amazement! haha

Hondo, from my perspective, I thought there was a 1-2 round patch mid-season (around R8-R10) where you were leading, and I was just happy to sit in 2nd place. My memory is average, but you may be able to identify this stretch - I remember you loaded up a level above what I thought you would have with about 10 guys on doubles, and I went the other way and gambled against that and prepped for next round. I felt that was a turning point in your season, and also in mine that gave me a real serious chance to win it. I think I then took over the lead in round 11 and thought I had a pretty good chance to win it.
    (Then obviously about 2 or 3 rounds later Bailey hit that Conger jackpot, and it was all uphill after that.)
    Across R8-10 I did load up too much on doubles. Looking back on my trades I could have been OK had I made better trade decisions in R9-10 to prep that tricky R11-13 phase. For example I clogged my team with Newbill on the bench who I never started and who never really went big. I could have cashed out that spot like Bailey did to free up cash for the big guns I needed later on.

I then only used one trade in R10 which was critical mistake because a second trade would have helped keep me up with the necessary moves particularly for the tricky R11 ADE-BRI only double. I have to admit at that point I mistakenly thought I needed to save 2 trades more than I needed to. I thought I had to save 6 rather than 4 (the season was one round shorter this year!).

R11 I chose Gliddon and Wiley over DJ and Sobey and only had 3 doubles for the on a BRI-ADE only double. Gliddon alone dropped 80 points on Sobey while Wiley was OK relative to DJ. I dropped to 3rd that round.

Then in R12 I skipped Long and brought in DJ and Sobey on a single due to low BEs. I still had 5 good on court doubles that round it's just that Long went for 148 that round while I ran Jawai who went for 88. I didn't have an easy way to get both Sobey at a low BE and Long at $200K because I was now a trade move behind and now needed 4 trades at once!

Then in R13 Conger goes for 118 and I leaked another 70 points. That's a lucky one for Bailey with a massive unexpected bonus. Across those 3 rounds was the 230 points I was behind at the end. The Conger cash cap uplift meant Bailey didn't have to compromise too much after that whereas I leaked cash on Wiley right to the end.

Ok year for me. Started out weak with guys like Gee and Jackson setting me back from round 1. Went the No-Bogut route for the first 7 rounds and that was basically death as I could never even hop to recover after that.

I shifted most attention to my alternate team in about round 7 or 8. It had got lucky nailing a few new imports like Long, Trimble, Kennedy early but horrendous captain choices cost me early (cedric round 1 lol). Was ranked 193rd after 6 rounds. A good string of strong but not outstanding results spiked me to 17th heading into the final round, where Casper, Wesley and Boone all let me down and I slid to 21st overall.

Nothing too outstanding to note either way for my season. Obviously missing Bogut early just crippled any sort of chance. I was pretty fortunate not to cop any serious injuries this year. I remember last year, I was in a pretty strong spot in DT and Fantasy then copped a Mitch Creek injury in the middle of season that cost me massive money, points and momentum. Similarly, I copped that rd 5 or 6 Carrera injury on the double that lost me so many points as the alternate route was Tokoto (who scored about 100 for the round).

I've already noted but it was crazy to see so many guys eclipse the 200k+ barrier. We had Bogut, Kay, Long, Wesley, Patterson and Trimble break that mark. I'm pretty sure that's a record in this format (since 2010/11 or so). And Long getting to 278k might also be a record. Anyone know what Childress or Khazzouh peaked at?

Good to see some regulars here right up the pointy end. Agree that the posts here have been quiet but I think that is due to most of the conversation shifting to twitter and DT Live. I'll be back here next season competing in both formats.
    13/14: 4th
    14/15: 31st
    15/16: 125th
    16/17: 33rd
    17/18: 8th Fantasy: 45th
    18/19: 21st Fantasy: 183rd

In regards to league matchups and promo/relegation, I've never actually traded specifically for matchups. My primary goal has always been to achieve the highest overall rank, and I mostly just use the leagues to scout, follow and analyse competing teams. It was interesting keeping up with Hondo's team for example in the middle season and kind of 'predicting' what trades/starters/captain I would make if I was in his situation each round. It was then easy for me to see his choices as he was in one of my leagues.

Now that the season is over, Here are the Champions and Premier Leagues for next season...

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

1. Hondo 86ers - Hondo
    2. Hotham Huskies - Auron
    3. Twelve foot rim - Twelve foot rim
    4. FullCourtPress - miracle.touch
    5. Sobes2hard2guard - Kyrie2Nation
    6. Hawkstar - Andy K
    7. Mammes - mammes
    8. RADelaide Rippers - hawky

PREMIER LEAGUE

1. Alís Beanos - scottgcau2
    2. Blockers - Sam
    3. Plastic Wiezels - Plastic Wiezels
    4. Brownie's Bandits - Lost In The Sky
    5. Lord Vlahovdemort - inztantkarma
    6. Mecca - bilza069
    7. Double Dribbles - whitewind
    8. Sharpshooters - Wild Catwoman

Ended up finishing 65th Overall... Worst result in about 6-7 years but I guess that's what you get for a really poor start to the season.

Well done Hondo on finishing second, and all the other great coaches here on their great seasons.

I know I've said it before... but huge shout out to miracle.touch for your work with the BE Spreadsheet... Really is appreciated mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost In The Sky View Post
    I know I've said it before... but huge shout out to miracle.touch for your work with the BE Spreadsheet... Really is appreciated mate.
    Yep definitely is handy and appreciated.

The one addition I really liked to it is the H/A and which team they are vsing above their scores. It makes it really handy when you are looking at bringing a guy in for 1-3 rounds and want to see their future matchups without having to go through the NBL website and their slow scrolling back and forth. For example; I scouted a guy like Blanchfield in the early part of the season where Illawarra played Adelaide 3 times from round 6-8. Both of those teams have high tempo/high scoring games which lead to inflated DT stats. Was able to benefit from that call as Blanchfield scored 56 52 and 32 in those games v Adelaide.

As said previously, well done to Hondo, Wild.1 and the OZH leagues on good seasons, big thanks to micale.touch for the spread sheet.

Finished 45th for the year, back into OH1 the biggest plus. Has been hard keeping on top of my team with two kids, so a couple of silly non researched mistakes really cost me. Also been less engaged on here, but always follow closesly!

see you all next year.
    36ers member
    NBL DT: RADelaide rippers
    52nd 2013/14 NBL DT
    10th 2014/15 NBL DT
    3rd 2015/16 NBL DT
    25th 2016/17 NBL DT
    195th 2017/18 NBL DT
    45th 2018/19 NBL DT

Garbage year for the Hayzoos. Finished 126th in Sportsdeck and 67th in Fantasy. Took a gamble & started without Bogut, and never really recovered. Was completely out of contention in both comps by Round 4, which makes for a fairly dull and uninteresting DT/Fantasy season.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost In The Sky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hawky View Post
    big thanks to micale.touch for the spread sheet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingles13 View Post
    Yep definitely is handy and appreciated.
    Thanks guys. Breakevens are an indispensable bit of info for playing fantasy sports IMO. Assuming Sportsdeck leave out the BEs from their platform next year, I'll continue to provide the data.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingles13 View Post
    The one addition I really liked to it is the H/A and which team they are vsing above their scores. It makes it really handy when you are looking at bringing a guy in for 1-3 rounds and want to see their future matchups without having to go through the NBL website and their slow scrolling back and forth. For example; I scouted a guy like Blanchfield in the early part of the season where Illawarra played Adelaide 3 times from round 6-8. Both of those teams have high tempo/high scoring games which lead to inflated DT stats. Was able to benefit from that call as Blanchfield scored 56 52 and 32 in those games v Adelaide.
    Cheers, it was one of a number of improvements I added, and I have a few more in mind for next season (should it be required).

For me personally, I had a career season.

• 14th overall (only 10pts out of 11th)
    • 4th in the OZHOOPS group
    • Top 3 thereby earning promotion to OZHOOPS #2 next season
    • Won the GF in OZHOOPS #3

All this despite making a few clangers along the way.

Thanks to LITS for arranging the leagues, and to all of my league opponents for a very competitive year.
    "Full Court Press" in NBL Dreamteam | "Kickert To Me" in NBL Fantasy