PDA

View Full Version : HSH Rosters

DJ Rod
30-03-2010, 04:04 PM
2010 Foot Locker Elite Classic - High Stakes Hoops Team Rosters
ECB is pleased to today release Team Rosters for next week's Foot Locker Elite Classic - High Stakes Hoops (Adelaide Dome, April 6-11). Rosters have been constructed by Team Rights Owners & Coaches from each Team over the last eight weeks. Teams had a deadline of today to put forward their core rosters, while ECB recognises that there are some major signings which will be announced over the next three days, particularly by the Monarchs, Cyclones and Reef. Those Teams sought permission to hold over several key announcements until later this week.
Rosters are as follows:
(*denotes Draft pick from Overseas Player Draft. ** denotes overseas player signed directly by team, these players did not nominate for the Draft and were signed as free agents. TBA denotes To Be Announced)

Rush
Team Rights Owner - Lanard Copeland
Coach - Sedale Threatt.
Michael Boone *
Lonnie Harrell *
Chris Brown *
Michael Rose **
Brad Bridgewater
Sedale Threatt Jr
Yusuf Qaafow
Daniel Dillon
Matt Smith
Thalo Green

Fleet
Team Rights Owner - Brett Maher & Consortium
Coach Ken Cole
Troy Jackson **
Willie Farley **
Brett Maher
Chris Goulding
Riley Luettgerodt
Luke Schenscher
Tom Daly
Chris Molitor
TBA

Rays
Team Rights Owner Pat Reidy & Matt Shanahan
Coach - Matt Shanahan
David Fisher *
Freddy Robinson *
Kevin Lisch **
Peter Crawford
Tony Ronaldson
Damien Martin
Adam Gibson
Brad Hill
TBA
TBA

Cyclones
Coach - Bruce Bolden
Terrence Woodberry *
Mario Brown *
Graeme Dann
BJ Carter
Steve Markovic
Clint Reed
Brad Gerlach
Ryan Kersten
TBA
TBA

Monarchs
Team Rights Owner - John de la Torre
Coach - Al Green
Isiah Victor *
Scott O'Gallagher *
Martinis Woody **
Wayne Oliver **
Ed Millard **
Rashard Tucker **
Galen Young **
Nick Brear
TBA
TBA

Coasters
Team Rights Owner - Julie Corletto
Coach Darryl "D Mac" McDonald
D'Lancy Carter *
Mike Helms *
Bennett Davison **
Sean Lampley **
Sam Mackinnon
Luke McMillan
Kevin Ratzch
Brad Davidson
TBA
TBA

Pythons
Team Rights Owner - Lance "Buddy" Franklin
Coach - Mark Bradtke
Tony Danridge **
Kevin Johnson **
Harry Lum **
Corey "Homicide" Williams **
Dante Sykes **
Geremy Robinson **
John Rillie
Michael Florence
Mike McDaniel
TBA

Reef
Team Rights Owner - Stewart Briggs & Dale Ryan
Coach Dale Ryan & Mick Downer
Shane Edwards *
Jason Cameron
Nathan Niesler
Todd Blanchfield
Blogoj Janev
David Bartholomaeus
John Fitzgerald
TBA
TBA

upnorth
30-03-2010, 05:15 PM
This comp seems to be getting a bad spin from lots on here but I'm really looking forward to seeing it all unfold.

Who does everyone like now that we have the rosters all but complete.

I like the looks of the Rush, Monarchs, Coasters and the Pythons.

Playing spot the Aussie on the Monarchs list!

Silencer83
30-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Rays
Team Rights Owner Pat Reidy & Matt Shanahan
Coach - Matt Shanahan
David Fisher *
Freddy Robinson *
Kevin Lisch **
Peter Crawford
Tony Ronaldson
Damian Martin
Adam Gibson
Brad Hill
TBA
TBA

I pity the guards who have to match up against a defensive rotation of Martin, Gibson, Lisch and Crawford.

curious
30-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Oh dear.
Matt Smith and Thalo in the one team.
G Dann in another.
Rashad (note the correct spelling.) Tucker. How did he even get a Visa to play here again?
Markovic's back....
No Anstey.
Certainly more than the usual suspects.

Melb Wildcat
30-03-2010, 10:14 PM
I have heard Leven might be playing :p

curious
31-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Ben Allen to play for Rays.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/big-ben-to-toll-amid-our-elite/story-e6frecj3-1225847799815

Cussy
31-03-2010, 10:44 AM
I don't like the idea of five Americans on one team. It's going to turn in to an AND1 game, and the amount of bad lob passes is going to be frustrating to watch.

Mama B
31-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Curtis Small will play for the Coasters

Melb Wildcat
31-03-2010, 01:27 PM
What happens to all the guys who are playing HSH and ABA together? Do they just drop their ABA commitment for the week or something?

DodgeTaylor
31-03-2010, 05:00 PM
News today, Brad Williamson has signed to play for the Monarchs

thc
31-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Although most teams now have a full roster, Communications Minister Stephen Conroy has vetoed the release of the full list. HSH may get an infraction from the government for the premature release of the list prior to classification.

Conroy has refused to release the full list of names of participants [of High Stakes Hoops] saying it would provide people with instant access to the currently banned list. As the list hasn?t been classified as yet, its current status is ?Refused Classification (RC)? and is to be withheld from public viewing.

High Stakes Hoops has been required to stall the production of player uniforms as names haven?t been granted approval. ?We may need to resort to nicknames like those stupid Wildcats jerseys from the early ?90s,? a source within High Stakes Hoops admitted.

Conroy?s office is also concerned about "an apparent drug-related theme" of the tournament. Conroy has stated his concerns over the team names Reef as it "sounds all too similar to Reefers", the Rush as it "appears to attempt to promote the rush associated with the consumption of illicit drugs", and the Coasters as it "endorses alcohol consumption, albeit in a table surface-friendly manner".

Conroy was also disgusted by the names of Fleet recruit Willie Farley and Cyclones recruit BJ Carter. Under Conroy's new proposed legislation, contentious surnames on jerseys would be required to be covered up by black tape, or preferably bureaucratic red tape.

Full article here (http://thebballscoop.weebly.com/index.html).

Interesting times ahead.

Mitch Richmond AKA Rock
31-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Add Deba George to the mix as well - for what it's worth I think he'll fit in well with the style of play proposed.

Mitch Richmond AKA Rock
31-03-2010, 09:16 PM
What happens to all the guys who are playing HSH and ABA together? Do they just drop their ABA commitment for the week or something?

I believe any ABA players involved either have just a Saturday night game (the rest day) or don't play at all that week.

Skindog the Hawk
31-03-2010, 10:52 PM
I think you're a day early thc. ;)

SD.

angry ant
01-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Julius Hodge has joined the Monarchs, and David Carson (Fleet) has been ruled out due to injury..

ygoslo7
01-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Bennett Davison! I don't care that he's probably about 400 years old now, he's awesome. I just got excited about the tournament!

DodgeTaylor
01-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Another one hot off the presses ... Oscar Forman will join the Fleet.

More signings yet to come!

Mitch Richmond AKA Rock
02-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Another one hot off the presses ... Oscar Forman will join the Fleet.

More signings yet to come!

Add the good Dr Ng to the mix as well Dodge!

curious
02-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Very interesting to see how this stuff is progressing.
Personally I don't want to 5 Yanks playing in one team. I would rather see a far more balanced side and another 3 Aussies gaining employment in that side.
Most of the underwhelming interest on the Boards here says it all.
Allegedly their own promotion of this comp is poor.
I certainly hope that JVG et.al. dont piss of ONE HD in regard to the long term coverage of the NBL. This is a basketball concept that has got off the ground and all credit to them, but the concept IMO is poor.
Lets see if it gets another gig next season, based on the ratings they get.

Mitch Richmond AKA Rock
02-04-2010, 09:32 PM
but the concept IMO is poor.

Based on what Curious? IMO the concept has massive potential - it's a 6 day off season tournament with a few new rules, mixture of young & veteran Aussies with a fair splash of athletic Americans for prize money with a live free to air tv contract.

Why the haterade? Jvg's taken on the risk and had the balls to try something new and different in basketball terms. Anyway, we'll see how it pans out but I think this is a sign of things to come....

curious
02-04-2010, 09:40 PM
JVG has taken no risk. Make no mistake about that. All he is risking is it fails this season and doesn't return. Knowing JVG he will have all bases covered. It's sponsored and costs will be covered at the very least.
As I said earlier I do not want to see 5 Yanks playing for one team. That's crap.
That is a deal breaker for me.
How does that improve baketball in Australia?

Mitch Richmond AKA Rock
02-04-2010, 10:27 PM
My take on Al Green's squad of yanks is that that's the whole idea - it's free enterprise. Heck, Vlahov could buy a team next year full of Western Australians. I'm guessing it'll be good for Aussie basketball when the teams made up of mostly Aussies show up the streetball yanks with good teamwork, passing, shooting and defence. It'll prove to the average punter that you don't have to be American and 6-7 to be good at hoops.

Time will tell.

FRED JONES
03-04-2010, 01:31 AM
It improves basketball in Australia by improving basketballs profile countrywide. Mate most basketballers love college ball and the NBA and thats just a bunch of yanks running around (with a few others). ANYTHING basketball related that gets on free to air t v and generates interest is good for the game here.

rjd
03-04-2010, 10:31 AM
As I said earlier I do not want to see 5 Yanks playing for one team. That's crap.

None of the teams have a locational identity. Why is it then outrageous for teams to have less concern over the locational origin of each player? (I'd actually like to see this tournament attempt to draw more foreigners from other parts of the world next year.)

Without that locational connection, spectators are more likely to create allegiances based on the playing roster. The less alike each playing roster is, the better. The only argument for high Australian content is fan familiarity with the players.

The teams are together for little more than a week. This is a fun, novel tournament, not a tournament that is essential for the development of Australian talent. Why insist upon a certain amount of Australian talent on each team? Why insist upon homogeneity?

This tournament isn't going to usurp the NBL. It's not a direct competitor. It provides an interesting alternative out of season. Why expect NBL-like or FIBA-like restrictions for a novel week-long tournament? Surely it needs to be different to be successful.

curious
03-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Let's hope it is successful.

Mitch Richmond AKA Rock
03-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Let's hope iot is successful.

It's going to be very interesting to see how it all comes together next week, and how the locals in Adelaide respond to the whole thing in terms of bums on seats.

Mitch Richmond AKA Rock
03-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Lance Allred (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Allred) has come on board with the Monarchs.

Steve Hoare has joined the Reef.

DodgeTaylor
03-04-2010, 09:07 PM
JVG has taken no risk. Make no mistake about that. All he is risking is it fails this season and doesn't return. Knowing JVG he will have all bases covered. It's sponsored and costs will be covered at the very least.

How does it improve basketball?? If it wasn't for JVG and this tournament, the NBL wouldn't be back on One next season. Everyone has said that the game needs to get back on free-to-air/digital TV and thanks to this, it is.

angry ant
03-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Lance Allred (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Allred) has come on board with the Monarchs.

Steve Hoare has joined the Reef.
Isiah Victor
Scott O'Gallagher
Martinis Woody
Wayne Oliver
Ed Millard
Rashard Tucker
Galen Young
Nick Brear
Brad Williamson
Julius Hodge
Lance Allred

Is that correct? How many players can you have?

curious
04-04-2010, 09:49 AM
How does it improve basketball?? If it wasn't for JVG and this tournament, the NBL wouldn't be back on One next season. Everyone has said that the game needs to get back on free-to-air/digital TV and thanks to this, it is.
The NBL had been in discussions for some time with various networks about where their new contract to cover the NBL would be placed.
ONE HD are scouring the world to fill their air time.
Don't think that because this tournament is on that that is the sole reason the NBL is back on FTA.

curious
04-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Danridge (possibly) eying Australia.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/dizzying-danridge-eyes-the-long-term-in-australia/story-e6frect3-1225849244171

Mitch Richmond AKA Rock
04-04-2010, 01:33 PM
The NBL had been in discussions for some time with various networks about where their new contract to cover the NBL would be placed.
ONE HD are scouring the world to fill their air time.
Don't think that because this tournament is on that that is the sole reason the NBL is back on FTA.

You'd be surprised to hear of OneHD's view of the NBL prior to Jvg talking to them about the ECB. :)

curious
04-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Do I wouldn't be.
Speaking with someone I know who has a close contact at ONE HD.
The NBL did nothing at the time of the ONE HD startup AFAIK.
NOt even a g'day.
Only when there was possibly Foxtel issues did they seek to speak with ONE HD.
The rest is history.

alleyoop
04-04-2010, 11:22 PM

That's your opinion. I'm interested to see how the team of Yanks goes against a team with a more Aussie-flavour. I think its obvious from the format and promotion of the whole tournament that its all about being a little different and providing entertainment, I don't see why they have an obligation to "improve basketball in Australia" (even though I think it helps, through promotion of the game and players). This isn't the NBL, it's a hit and giggle, I think you are taking it too seriously.

Onto the rosters: Hodge & Tucker on the same team? Do those Game Breaker plays allow for multiple balls on the court too? ;)

angry ant
04-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Follow EBC players Scott O'Gallagher http://twitter.com/BossOG20 and Lonnie Harrell http://twitter.com/PrimeObjective on twitter.

Voice(s)
05-04-2010, 02:20 AM
That's your opinion. I'm interested to see how the team of Yanks goes against a team with a more Aussie-flavour. I think its obvious from the format and promotion of the whole tournament that its all about being a little different and providing entertainment, I don't see why they have an obligation to "improve basketball in Australia" (even though I think it helps, through promotion of the game and players). This isn't the NBL, it's a hit and giggle, I think you are taking it too seriously.

Onto the rosters: Hodge & Tucker on the same team? Do those Game Breaker plays allow for multiple balls on the court too? ;)

Exactly and well said. It's not meant to be taken seriously. I was telling my brother about this comp today (even though he lives in Adelaide, he hadn't heard of it) and even he said he's keen to watch a few games now as he likes the fact teams can have a number of imports and is keen to see how Al Green's Monarchs team goes against for example Brett Maher's 36ers-lite Fleet team. We were even joking about Hodge & Tucker fighting over who should be the team's #1 bad ass.

So they've done well in that sense as my brother is one of those people who doesn't care about the NBL yet will now watch a few games of this comp.

Also I saw an ad with Carfino for the HSH comp on One tonight during the IPL.

curious
05-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Ok, hit and giggle it is.
Let's hope that the rest of Australia agrees with you and it rates and stays about.

meg
06-04-2010, 10:51 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs480.ash1/26308_10150160266430153_562095152_12005993_4033808 _n.jpg

curious
06-04-2010, 09:47 PM
I believe any ABA players involved either have just a Saturday night game (the rest day) or don't play at all that week.
That isn't true.
Gibson has a scheduled game on FRIDAY night and another one on SATURDAY night. Both are away games.

Hoffa
08-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Wasn't too sure where to put this, but apparently the Taipans are interested in Troy Jackson.

curious
09-04-2010, 10:56 PM
No Gibson for the Spartans and they lost tonight.
Every chance the Spartans could lose both this weekend.
From undefeated to mid range.

fan since the old snakepit
09-04-2010, 11:37 PM
Whats the story on Kevin Ratzch. Is he NBL standard?

curious
09-04-2010, 11:43 PM
A few are.
Most aren't, of that there is no doubt.
Many imports already in Australia playing are far better than many playing in the HSH.
I think one of the failings / highlights of HSH is the number of 'imports' that clearly aren't up to NBL standards.

Dunkin' Dan
09-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Yeah, there are definitely some ordinary ones.
Ratzch has been reasonable though. Quite an athlete.

Clips
10-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Yeah, there are definitely some ordinary ones.
Ratzch has been reasonable though. Quite an athlete.
I haven't paid too much attention to detail through these games, but from what I have seen he has been pretty good.