Confirmed signings:
    Cameron Tragardh (2 years)
    Cameron Gliddon (3 years)
    Aaron Fearne [head coach] (3 years)
    Shaun Bruce (1 year)
    Stephen Weigh (3 years)
    Alex Loughton (3 year extension)
    Mark Worthington (2 years)
    Gordie McLeod [assistant coach] (1 year)
    Jamie Pearlman [assistant coach] (3 years)
    Damon Heuir (1 year)
    Torrey Craig [Import] (1 year)
    Markel Starks [Import] (1 year)
    Ash Constable [DP]
    Anthony Fisher [DP]
    Will Sinclair [DP]

Gone:
    Scottie Wilbekin > Philadelphia 76ers
    Mitch Young > Townsville
    Nathan Sobey > Adelaide
    Corey Maynard > Townsville
    Mick Downer [assistant coach]
    Last edited by miracle.touch; 11-09-2015 at 05:11 PM.
    "Full Court Press" in NBL Fantasy | R.I.P. Dreamteam

A lot of guys off contract in a fortnight. I wonder who will be retained...?

I'd like to see the bulk of the squad stick around for another 1-2 given the success that they've had this year, but this is a fickle sport when contract negotiations come around.

My mail is that Torrey Craig has expressed interest in going 'round again, but that Wilbekin will move on to pursue his NBA goal.

Quote Originally Posted by miracle.touch View Post
    I'd like to see the bulk of the squad stick around for another 1-2 given the success that they've had this year, but this is a fickle sport when contract negotiations come around.

My mail is that Torrey Craig has expressed interest in going 'round again, but that Wilbekin will move on to pursue his NBA goal.
    Clinching as many as you can would be ideal, but you're right, players have to grab what they can, when they can.

Wilbekin would definitely want to amp up his asking price, & the NBA wouldn't be a long shot, so unfortunately, I can't see him staying.
    "Box of Chocolates" OzHo.

Cnsm

It would be great to keep as much of the squad together as possible. I can't see us keeping Wilbekin, unfortunately: there has to be much better money (and hoops) for him elsewhere. Having said that, if every Taipans member put in $100 to the Spend to the Cap Fund, we'd have over a hundred thousand to add to the kitty. (I don't know how many season ticket holders there are. Does anyone here know? Podge? GordonG?)

Gliddon would have to be the highest priority. Captain of the team this year for good reason, he has a great basketball head on his shoulders, and stays very cool in the crunch, which is a big reason we've done so well this year.

The PG position has further issues, with a logjam created behind what will most likely be another import. We currently have Maynard (signed), along with Bruce and Sobey (free agents) and all of them are NBL level guards. I think keeping Bruce would be the main aim, and I suspect Sobey may have the bigger long term upside. I'm sure the Snakes aren't the only ones thinking this.

Will Trigger leave for Brisbane (probably bigger bucks and a starting/starring role for him there)?

Can we keep both Craig and Weigh? Neither have (publicly) expressed concern about sharing minutes. Does that mean they are happy with the situation? I think using them on the court together has merit, too.

The results of the next two (or three) games will probably play a huge role in players deciding if they'll stay or go.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeThrows View Post
    Will Trigger leave for Brisbane (probably bigger bucks and a starting/starring role for him there)?
    There is no Brisbane.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeThrows View Post
    Already signed on as assistant coach of the Marlins, so probably not going anywhere.
    Basketball, Qld Cup Rugby League, Speedway and General photography at www.gordong.com

Yeah...blow this team up, its bloody useless.

Quote Originally Posted by BellBivDevoe View Post
    Yeah...blow this team up, its bloody useless.
    hahaha yeah and sack the coach

Quote Originally Posted by King Podge View Post
    hahaha yeah and sack the coach
    ah Podge, no need for context this year, the stats are on your side, so much easier to argue from a position of strength, but was it the coach, or just the marvellous Wilbekin, maybe no injuries, players buying into the system, your prayers being answered. I don't know, but I am very happy that Fearnes turned it around and we are going to the grand final. He needs to be congratulated on a job well done. Maybe 1 year contracts are the way to Go!!!
    i have 2 rules:
    Rule 1- I am always right
    Rule 2- When i am wrong, refer to rule 1

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    but was it the coach
    He definitely improved, from both a strategic and man-management sense.

or just the marvellous Wilbekin
    He helped, but even when he was struggling the Taipans were winning.

maybe no injuries
    Definitely.

players buying into the system
    I think players understanding the system after 2-3 seasons together.

your prayers being answered

Undoubtedly!

ah Podge, no need for context this year, the stats are on your side, so much easier to argue from a position of strength, but was it the coach, or just the marvellous Wilbekin, maybe no injuries, players buying into the system, your prayers being answered. I don't know, but I am very happy that Fearnes turned it around and we are going to the grand final. He needs to be congratulated on a job well done. Maybe 1 year contracts are the way to Go!!!
    haha hey William, long time no see, context is always relevant my friend The dress wasn't blue and black, it was and always shall be orange...

Paul you hit all the nails on the head.

I will add that the lack of injuries needs to be a attributed to a bit of luck and a lot of good management. The strength and conditioning coach put a lot of time in effort into convincing the coaching staff that he had a plan and they needed to stick to it and well the proof is in the pudding (Fearne said as much at the EOS dinner).

The strength and conditioning coach put a lot of time in effort into convincing the coaching staff that he had a plan and they needed to stick to it and well the proof is in the pudding (Fearne said as much at the EOS dinner).
    How can you have an end of season dinner before the end of your season? just asking

but was it the coach, or just the marvellous Wilbekin, maybe no injuries, players buying into the system, your prayers being answered.
    If Hoops is anything to go by...its because Wilson is not @ Cairns that is the reason Cairns is winning.

Quote Originally Posted by jjj View Post
    How can you have an end of season dinner before the end of your season? just asking
    Venue availability with the sponsor.
    Basketball, Qld Cup Rugby League, Speedway and General photography at www.gordong.com

I agree Gliddon has to be a priority re-signing and I think Tragardh would be next on the list. Bruce needs to be kept also, if possible. One problem I see with retaining everyone is Gliddon will probably be entitled to a salary upgrade, as would Bruce. I would really like to see Craig back but, as FreeThrows mentioned, would he be happy to continue sharing minutes with Weigh (I'm assuming Weigh wants to stay and will be retained) and the other issue would be that he would probably want a salary upgrade.

Assuming Tragardh is re-signed, a team problem I see is that we will have an aging front court with Tragardh, Burston and Loughton all now into their 30's.

It seems as if Wilbekin will be moving on to further his career back in the US. If that is the case, he is going to be very hard to replace. Given our spending limits, Fearne will again have to probably try and find another gun fresh out of college. Fearne will be doing really well if he can pick up someone anywhere near as good as Wilbekin was though.

I'm not sure if the Taipans can go with exactly the same set up next season (assuming Wilbekin has to be replaced) and tend to think there needs to be a small tweak or two but am not exactly sure where that would occurr and who you would let go of. One tweak I would like to see is Craig to be given a bigger role, without necessarily impacting on Weigh's minutes. When it's all said and done though, the big loss will be Wilbekin. He's the best import we've ever had in my opinion and even when he wasn't shooting well he was still contributing, particularly with his defense.

One thing about the signing season though is that it generally throws up some surprises, so we can only sit back and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
    I agree Gliddon has to be a priority re-signing and I think Tragardh would be next on the list. Bruce needs to be kept also, if possible. One problem I see with retaining everyone is Gliddon will probably be entitled to a salary upgrade, as would Bruce. I would really like to see Craig back but, as FreeThrows mentioned, would he be happy to continue sharing minutes with Weigh (I'm assuming Weigh wants to stay and will be retained) and the other issue would be that he would probably want a salary upgrade.
    One tweak I would like to see is Craig to be given a bigger role, without necessarily impacting on Weigh's minutes.
    Could we see more of Weigh playing at 4 alongside Craig at 3? Weigh is certainly strong enough to hold his own against a lot of power forwards defensively - does he have the back to the basket game to play there much, though?

Assuming Tragardh is re-signed, a team problem I see is that we will have an aging front court with Tragardh, Burston and Loughton all now into their 30's.
    Because they have the three of them to share minutes around, along with back-up from Young and Weigh, there isn't that much load on the "older" front court. Remember, too, that Burston missed a lot of basketball with ankle/foot problems which don't seem to be a problem anymore, so he's playing younger than his years.

If they can manage to pick up an Aussie College big (I mean tall enough to be a legit 5), then maybe Young could be let go.

It seems as if Wilbekin will be moving on to further his career back in the US. If that is the case, he is going to be very hard to replace. Given our spending limits, Fearne will again have to probably try and find another gun fresh out of college. Fearne will be doing really well if he can pick up someone anywhere near as good as Wilbekin was though.
    When it's all said and done though, the big loss will be Wilbekin. He's the best import we've ever had in my opinion and even when he wasn't shooting well he was still contributing, particularly with his defense.
    Yep, therein lies the rub. The Taipans will only be as good as their next import point guard.

Fearne wants to retain as many players as possible. Also, there's the possibility of being able to spend a bit more on salaries.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/sport/t...-1227255786564

Will be an interesting few weeks. There could potentially be a glut of quality free agents on the market with Brisbane apparently not happening and hawks/crocs players looking for secure pay days.

Will be an interesting few weeks. There could potentially be a glut of quality free agents on the market with Brisbane apparently not happening and hawks/crocs players looking for secure pay days.
    In my sceptical world, Crocs are in a better situation than the Hawks. They've waved their save us or we're gone flag before, & there's supposedly a new floor being acquired at Council ratepayers' expense.
    Worry level=0
    The Hawks had backing from a coal supplier, & I reckon he'd be feeling the pinch with Greenies busting his balls.
    Worry level= MUCH.
    "Box of Chocolates" OzHo.

I understand an announcement will be made tomorrow confirming Fearne's contract renewal.

Quote Originally Posted by miracle.touch View Post
    He'll be working under a great coach and a great human in Ben.

(my first basketball coach..... but i'm not sure that adds or subtracts from his resume...)

made you into the man you aren't today
    Although I am sure he had nothing to do with your jumpshot .