Thread: State of the NBL - Season 15/16

Default State of the NBL - Season 15/16

This article sheds a lot of light on where we could be heading.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketba...23-ghvn26.html

- Plans for each team to have an Asian player sit outside the salary cap - same as Marquee (I wonder what they define as "asian". Technically I have Asian origin, but I'm Australian as well).

- Partnership with CH10 has ended - Ten not interested in renewing

- NBL has a consultant looking at brokering a new deal.

- NBL engaged "Publicis Mojo" to market/rebrand the league

- Jeremy Loeliger is the NBL's new GM.

- Wants to take NBL product into asia and have a number of asian clubs play as part of of the NBL.
    No Signature.

Quote Originally Posted by RaMarQabLe View Post
    - Plans for each team to have an Asian player sit outside the salary cap - same as Marquee (I wonder what they define as "asian". Technically I have Asian origin, but I'm Australian as well).
    It would have to be a player that does not qualify to play as a local I imagine? Which would mean they'd have to be an import, but one you're to spend a lot of money on. Cant imagine there are too many players who fit that category (Iranian guy Haddidi, probably some Chinese players) unless they allow teams to sign an Asian player on top of their two allotted imports.

Would Jeremy Lin be considered Asian?

I feel like this is an area the Wildcats would exploit Haha

Asian players that don't qualify as locals make sense.

But what about a person with an Asian passport that grows up in the US and also has a US passport?

Asian is so broad as well.

I support the sentiment to expand the league, but forcing teams to have an asian as part of the ten man roster is balls - especially if the talent is not there.

I mean what about Imports in the Philo leagues that naturalise as Philo's... could we sign then?
    No Signature.

Yeah there's a lot of grey area. Similar to Guam players being considered local now, although the ones we've had are effectively American. You'd hope if they push forward with this they'll hammer out the rules properly.

I support the sentiment to expand the league, but forcing teams to have an asian as part of the ten man roster is balls - especially if the talent is not there.
    I don't think they are forcing teams to sign an Asian player, more that they can outside of the salary cap if they wish.

I don't think it will make a lick of difference. I am not going to go to a game just to see an Asian player play.

You putting your hand up for a spot?

Quote Originally Posted by illusiv View Post
    I am not going to go to a game just to see an Asian player play.
    can only assume its to establish some Asian names in the league to draw attention of people living in Asia to assist entry into that market in the future (either by inserting teams or picking up high profile players). agree that it won't matter to people here unless the quality is high.

I can accept a push towards Asia.

I am not super-dooper excited about it, because I really hoped the NBL can stand on its own with the Aus / NZ markets, but I can accept it.

But I wonder just how many Asian players could get minutes (of meaningful input) at any NBL team?

This is not a sledge on Asian players, I actually don't know the answer.

Of those good enough, wouldn't they want to play in China instead?

Javale McGee, Phillipines favourite son!

- Wants to take NBL product into asia and have a number of asian clubs play as part of of the NBL.
    I reckon a team in Singapore might be an idea.
    "Human beings, as a species, have no more value than slugs"

John Davis (editor, Earth First! Journal)

Quote Originally Posted by BellBivDevoe View Post
    But I wonder just how many Asian players could get minutes (of meaningful input) at any NBL team?
    Yi Jianlian would dominate.
    "Human beings, as a species, have no more value than slugs"

John Davis (editor, Earth First! Journal)

Quote Originally Posted by Voice(s) View Post
    Awesome idea....with a name after a beverage.

The P?luōzhōng Harvey Wallbangers?
    As far as we know, we are the first and only instance of the Universe becoming aware of itself. Given long enough, carbon begins to wonder where it came from.

the hawks already have Beveridge

Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea Supercluster, The Universe

Lightbulb

An Asian is someone born in Asia and holding an Asian passport, it doesn't matter whether he is yellow, black, white or brown. So Yi Jianlian is Asian, Jeremy Lin is not.

Players from New Zealand and other Oceania countries should enjoy a similar salary cap exemption.
    OMFG this is for Real!!!! * Shocked *

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

TFRENBAA

Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea Supercluster, The Universe

Talking

Recall the mighty Slingers mate.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

TFRENBAA

Yi Jianlian would dominate.
    Yi Jianlian is a bum. Brainless player, despite his athletic gifts.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop View Post
    Yi Jianlian is a bum. Brainless player, despite his athletic gifts.
    Cash up baby, he is earning freaken 3.2 million US$ a year in the CBA after reportedly signing an earth-shattering 5-year contract worth US$ 16,000,000.

TFRENBAA

The transfer market feels like the Wild West.
    Last edited by mattic; 30-08-2015 at 12:57 PM.
    As far as we know, we are the first and only instance of the Universe becoming aware of itself. Given long enough, carbon begins to wonder where it came from.