Thread: does BNSW understand what they should deliver

Default does BNSW understand what they should deliver

does BNSW understand what the paying members want to be delivered?

My observations are they do not!

What are their positives?

What are their negatives?

Have you considered kids tennis?

Hahahaha. There needs to be a "like" button on here just for that post

Quote Originally Posted by imported_jumper View Post
    does BNSW understand what the paying members want to be delivered?

My observations are they do not!

What are their positives?

What are their negatives?
    Have you ever considered getting involved in some meaningful way rather than just anonymously posting on a forum? On the plus side BNSW have jobs advertised at present, now is your chance to infiltrate and improve things?

coachgirl. basketball participants are paying customers of the head body. They deserve "good" service. If the service is not at the required standard, they have the right to complain. EG you go to Maccas and get a cold burger. Do you complain, tell everyone your burger was crap, or ask them for a job?

And if they keep making crap burgers, do you keep giving them your money? Or do you go to KFC?

coachgirl. basketball participants are paying customers of the head body. They deserve "good" service. If the service is not at the required standard, they have the right to complain. EG you go to Maccas and get a cold burger. Do you complain, tell everyone your burger was crap, or ask them for a job?
    I did get a horrible burger this week, as a matter of fact and have told everyone I know. However, the staff of BNSW are there to service the members, and the members elect the Board. There is an opportunity to make real change if anyone is interested, the AGM is the place to seek meaningful change at the board level and put pressure on them to replace the CEO, and whoever else you have a beef with.

The alternative is to find another sport for your kids. In the meantime, I have always found the CEO responsive to emails, if not effective in making real improvement. His email is available on the website.

coachgirl you summed it up with your statement.

"In the meantime, I have always found the CEO responsive to emails,

if not effective in making real improvement" This line is the problem, from the top down.

I play in a lower division (Div 2) Men's league administered by BNSW. The fees are costly. The association I play in does not even provide a game ball! That's right - you have to provide your own ball despite the thousands of dollars it costs to put a team into the competition 3 x per year. That is not a type either - 3 x seasons per YEAR = 3 x the registration fees. So basically, a whole season comprises 10 games and there are three Grand Final's played in a year. It's a complete joke.

I am not a fan on BNSW however I think people should be sure who and what they are complaining about.

BNSW is the controlling body in NSW for Basketball.

BNSW runs only a small number of actual competitions usually at the elite or near elite level.

Under it there are individual associations who are the "coal face" and who run competitions and who are usually the ones that people are complaining about not BNSW.

Basketball, unfortunately, is a high cost sport due to the playing in indoor stadiums. In most cases they are owned by councils and associations play the council rent to run their competitions. The rental cost is around $50 per hour plus or minus depending on venue.

Some own their venues and have to pay all running costs such as rates, electricity etc as well as pay staff on game nights.

Other sports have the "luxury" of playing outdoors where the councils maintain the ovals and charge very small rent.

To Swish83 I am surprised an association runs 3 competitions a year but if they do I would be interested to know what you are paying. Most competitions work out at around $10 to $15 per game per person and that is similar to what you pay for any indoor sport.

I know of a rugby union club that charges each player $300 for a winter season and that is only around 15 to 18 weeks. How does that compare to what you are paying for up to 48 weeks of games?
    The Truth Is Out There - Somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Observer View Post

To Swish83 I am surprised an association runs 3 competitions a year but if they do I would be interested to know what you are paying. Most competitions work out at around $10 to $15 per game per person and that is similar to what you pay for any indoor sport.

I know of a rugby union club that charges each player $300 for a winter season and that is only around 15 to 18 weeks. How does that compare to what you are paying for up to 48 weeks of games?
    It is the City of Sydney Basketball association played at Alexandria. I take your advice that associations run their own competitions, but are governed by BNSW, which would be the case with this association.

I pay $140 annually to BNSW for player insurance (this has increased roughly 10% per year since 2009). Then there are the 3 x comp fees annually. I can't recall the exact amount, but it is over $1000 per comp, per team.

The competitions are run from Jan-May, May-Aug, Aug-Nov. Very short seasons. It should ideally be two, which would reduce comp fees for everyone. There are a huge number of teams playing at the association every night of the week, and I'm not sure where the money goes? The stadium is falling apart and has been since I started playing there over 6 years ago. Never does the association provide a game ball. The referring in the lower divisions is abhorrent. But hey, I love playing the game... They did recently invest in a new scoreboard

Just over $3k per team for the year sounds like a bargain.

My association is $3200+ per season with no refund/credit on byes or game cancellations, two seasons a year, average referee coverage is maybe at 70%, the stadium leaks and smells like piss at the best of times.

CEO has some crisp suits though.

in all companies, people are required to read and understand their job description, and then carry out their duties. That is not happening at BNSW. Comps they directly administer only run for part of the yr, yet things still are not right.

[QUOTE=Clips;430731] the stadium leaks and smells like piss at the best of times.
    QUOTE]

We may very well play at the same venue

Quote Originally Posted by Swish83 View Post
    It is the City of Sydney Basketball association played at Alexandria. I take your advice that associations run their own competitions, but are governed by BNSW, which would be the case with this association.

I pay $140 annually to BNSW for player insurance (this has increased roughly 10% per year since 2009). Then there are the 3 x comp fees annually. I can't recall the exact amount, but it is over $1000 per comp, per team.

The competitions are run from Jan-May, May-Aug, Aug-Nov. Very short seasons. It should ideally be two, which would reduce comp fees for everyone. There are a huge number of teams playing at the association every night of the week, and I'm not sure where the money goes? The stadium is falling apart and has been since I started playing there over 6 years ago. Never does the association provide a game ball. The referring in the lower divisions is abhorrent. But hey, I love playing the game... They did recently invest in a new scoreboard
    The association is not actually governed by BNSW. It is governed by a board of directors. They are affiliated to BNSW.

The Comets website shows fees of $105 per team per game which based on 7 players is $15 per game. The rego fee of $140 would include insurance plus a registration fee to BNSW which also pays a fee to BA. On the BNSW website there is a link under ABOUT explaining registration fees.

If you feel you are not getting benefit form the Comets than I would suggest you send them an email asking for an explanation of what the fees go on. I notice that Mark Dalton is the GM and he would be the best person to contact.

As far as the "not providing a game ball" thing....I don't know too many associations that do. Our joint tried it for a few weeks and after about 10 went walkabout that was quickly canned. And really....out of 16 or so players fronting up for a club game is it that hard for someone to bring a ball along?

all comps i have been involved in, the 2 teams ea produced a ball and the ref picked one as the game ball.

It is admin areas that i think BNSW fall down in. People are not carrying out their duties, and members are paying the price. There just seems to be no accountability.

all comps i have been involved in, the 2 teams ea produced a ball and the ref picked one as the game ball.

It is admin areas that i think BNSW fall down in. People are not carrying out their duties, and members are paying the price. There just seems to be no accountability.
    You are always on about BNSW not doing their job. As I said I am not a fan of BNSW and in fact do not live in NSW but you have now said that they fall down in admin areas. What do you mean by "admin" areas? how about some examples?

getting info on comps out.

Draws, dates, stats, players involved. Giving participants info on their comp in a timely manner. Dont just collect the fees, give back.

It does not happen.