Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Media Coverage of NBL Season

Default Media Coverage of NBL Season

Just listened to part of the Foxtel announcement on Periscope.
    Didn't catch all the details of it but thought I'd start a thread to chat about TV coverage/newspaper coverage/social media etc.

Larry said (paraphrasing):

• Want to show every game live (I don't know if this is aspirational or reality)
    • No multi-channelling, scheduling to make sure game times wont clash for tv scheduling purposes.

I know some people only see the future in free-to-air television, but I am happy with a comprehensive Foxtel deal rather than a free-to-air channel that doesn't show it any respect.
    Cats member since 06/07

Likewise. Now can we put John Casey back in the commentating seat?

Quote Originally Posted by ~BecD~ View Post
    • No multi-channelling, scheduling to make sure game times wont clash for tv scheduling purposes.
    Be interesting to see what happens if overtime or other delays cause games to overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by SB.1 View Post
    Likewise. Now can we put John Casey back in the commentating seat?
    He's contracted to Channel 7 doing their SANFL coverage. In saying that they did allow him to do the Boomers/NZ game on Gem last month and the FIBA World Cup last year.

NBL's deal with Fox is a 5 year deal to show every game with an allowance for one game to also be shown on FTA TV with the contract to be reviewed at the end of this season.

No nbl.tv or equivalent service so in other words sign up to a Foxtel contract or piss off.
    "Human beings, as a species, have no more value than slugs"

John Davis (editor, Earth First! Journal)

Quote Originally Posted by Voice(s) View Post
    He's contracted to Channel 7 doing their SANFL coverage. In saying that they did allow him to do the Boomers/NZ game on Gem last month and the FIBA World Cup last year.

NBL's deal with Fox is a 5 year deal to show every game with an allowance for one game to also be shown on FTA TV with the contract to be reviewed at the end of this season.

No nbl.tv or equivalent service so in other words sign up to a Foxtel contract or piss off.
    Yep, shafts the rest of us that don't have and won't get Foxtel and put up with a bad NBL.tv service for years, yet still paid for it.

While I'm happy there is a deal to have it on some form of TV, not happy that you need to get Foxtel to watch games...... Sure there *may* be 1 game on FTA each week, but there is no deal for that, and I have my doubts that there will be.

Basic Foxtel package with sports is $50 per month minimum....... fairly expensive for a 4-5 month season.... Sure NBA.tv is about the same, but you get alot more for that.

If Foxtel did a sport only deal for $25 per month, I'd be keen....

Quote Originally Posted by illusiv View Post
    Yep, shafts the rest of us that don't have and won't get Foxtel and put up with a bad NBL.tv service for years, yet still paid for it.

While I'm happy there is a deal to have it on some form of TV, not happy that you need to get Foxtel to watch games...... Sure there *may* be 1 game on FTA each week, but there is no deal for that, and I have my doubts that there will be.

Basic Foxtel package with sports is $50 per month minimum....... fairly expensive for a 4-5 month season.... Sure NBA.tv is about the same, but you get alot more for that.

If Foxtel did a sport only deal for $25 per month, I'd be keen....
    Being a basketball fan is getting so expensive...

I can't work out if this is good news or bad.

If this is good to grow the league then its good news.

However, it definitely bad news for me, I will not get Foxtel. I was open to Foxtel Play and for $25/month for Sports I could stomach that, but you have to buy the level 1 package first which is another $25 / month.

So I just went from paying $50 / season to watch NBL.TV (with Wildcats subscription) to $50/month.

I was so looking forward to this season too.

Quote Originally Posted by BellBivDevoe View Post
    I can't work out if this is good news or bad.

If this is good to grow the league then its good news.
    Its a step in the right direction with all matches live. I'd imagine if they could get the same commitment from FTA they would have done it.

Hopefully this is the first step on the way to reaching a much wider audience with a quality product.

Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Wiezels View Post
    Its a step in the right direction with all matches live. I'd imagine if they could get the same commitment from FTA they would have done it.

Hopefully this is the first step on the way to reaching a much wider audience with a quality product.
    Are they reaching a wider audience though? with things like Netflix coming into Australia you would imagine more and more people are going to ditch Foxtel given its so expensive. Add to that the people who already don't have Foxtel and its less and less of an audience than you would get on free to air.

Of course I understand the other argument is that free to air didn't play all games, or games live...

This I guess is why I am with the same way of thinking which is "I don't know if its a good or a bad thing"

Let's not talk about nbl.tv through rosed coloured glasses because now we have to pay more for Foxtel. The "service" was a steaming pile of shit at the best of times. Classic case of you get what you pay for.

Would I like to see a decent service, like League Pass (for League Pass dollars)? Hell yeah. But let's not pretend for one moment that nbl.tv was a viable alternative.

Let's not talk about nbl.tv through rosed coloured glasses because now we have to pay more for Foxtel. The "service" was a steaming pile of shit at the best of times. Classic case of you get what you pay for.

Would I like to see a decent service, like League Pass (for League Pass dollars)? Hell yeah. But let's not pretend for one moment that nbl.tv was a viable alternative.
    Funny you say that because I fould NBL.TV pretty good last season (when comparing it to the first season it came into play). Sure it wasn't perfect but I have gone from an average streaming option to watching stats go down a page of whats happening.

Great news

I barely used my NBL.TV subscription the past fews years as it was so bad

Usually I get foxtel on no contract basis for $50 a month for AFL season, I'll now just have that year round so I can watch NBL too

Well it varied for everyone. It certainly was no League Pass, which as I understand it is consistent for everyone.

The way I see it Foxtel for 4 months is $200 (4 x $50) plus install, which it appears to be $100 unless you can get it free. So $300 for 112 games or less than $3 per game. Add $40 for HD, and it's still just a tick over $3 per game.

Obviously not many of us will watch all games but it's still not THAT much more expensive than League Pass. Yes I know it's the NBA and the season is longer etc.

Well it varied for everyone. It certainly was no League Pass, which as I understand it is consistent for everyone.

The way I see it Foxtel for 4 months is $200 (4 x $50) plus install, which it appears to be $100 unless you can get it free. So $300 for 112 games or less than $3 per game. Add $40 for HD, and it's still just a tick over $3 per game.

Obviously not many of us will watch all games but it's still not THAT much more expensive than League Pass. Yes I know it's the NBA and the season is longer etc.
    Can you get 4 month packages or do they sign you in for 12 months?

Right now I believe there is a no lock in contract. I bet you they will end it soon to get NBL'ers in a month ahead of the season
    25 seasons as a Wildcats member.

NBL Dream Team FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/NBLDreamTeam

Ok.

Here's the breakdown.

New to Foxtel but if you sign up before 3/10/15 there's no lock in contract.

$100 installation fee and $50 a month for NBL package (also includes "entertainment" and "sports" package). It is $60 a month if you want HD.

Now I'm ready to pull the trigger on this - BUT I don't want to sign up if they announce there's a online streaming service.

So what do I do? wait it out?
    No Signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 15 View Post
    Funny you say that because I fould NBL.TV pretty good last season (when comparing it to the first season it came into play). Sure it wasn't perfect but I have gone from an average streaming option to watching stats go down a page of whats happening.
    I am under no illusion that NBL.TV was the bees knees.

In fact I was calling for Perform Media to be booted after the first season.

Yes the video quality of often crap, it stuttered, sometimes even stopped at 3/4 time (Cairns).

It was however affordable and I could go back and watch the games at a later date, which is a God Send with 2 screaming kids.

I understand that Foxtel Play can offer this as well...but $300 for the whole season is a bit much, especially I value all the other content on Foxtel @ Zero.

That's what I'm wondering too.

I already pay $50 a month for my internet, so I'm not too keen on another $50 a month to get Foxtel just for NBL.... But if there's no streaming service and only one game a week on FTA then I will give it serious consideration at that price.
    Misinforming the Ozhoops community since 2002.

Boti seems to think there is more to come about the TV deal and possible streaming.....

This is fantastic news in my opinion.

The ability to get every game LIVE & in HD is massive!!

Especially for those of us in WA who got zero Wildcats games live when it was on FTA and most other games where on delays of 3-6 hours. It was alright for those who lived on the East Coast though.

Now the whole country has the option to watch every game LIVE & in HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost In The Sky View Post
    This is fantastic news in my opinion.

The ability to get every game LIVE & in HD is massive!!
    Agreed.
    I'm so tired of FTA treating NBL like crud. Poor quality, terrible scheduling, just a complete lack of respect for the product. I'm happy for it to be on Foxtel - it's certainly better than the alternative.

Of course we would love all games live on free to air, but that doesn't even happen for AFL, we are dreaming if you think it will ever happen for basketball.
    Cats member since 06/07

Quote Originally Posted by RaMarQabLe View Post
    Now I'm ready to pull the trigger on this - BUT I don't want to sign up if they announce there's a online streaming service.

So what do I do? wait it out?
    Wait. No matter when you sign up to Foxtel, just say, "I'm not paying for installation," and it'll just pass on the nod. If you get any resistance waiving that fee at all, counter with, "I can always find a drone at a shopping centre who will. Now you can either waste the time you've already spent on this call (Average Handling Time (AHT) is in their KRIs), or you can make the sale and get on with the next one..."

If I could get Fox Sports only, I'd do it, all year round. But having to have the "Essentials" grates beyond endurance. To be honest, I would probably pay up to the $50p/m even if it was just Fox Sports, but it's the idea of wasted money that perpetuates my irrationality.

NBL.tv was perfect for me. I've no desire to watch anything live and their On Demand service worked flawlessly. I hope there's a streaming option.
    Last edited by mattic; 03-09-2015 at 10:33 PM.
    As far as we know, we are the first and only instance of the Universe becoming aware of itself. Given long enough, carbon begins to wonder where it came from.

Quote Originally Posted by BellBivDevoe View Post
    I am under no illusion that NBL.TV was the bees knees.

In fact I was calling for Perform Media to be booted after the first season.
    So you thought NBL.TV was the bees knees but wanted it booted after the 1st season? lol

Quote Originally Posted by mattic View Post
    Wait. No matter when you sign up to Foxtel, just say, "I'm not paying for installation," and it'll just pass on the nod. If you get any resistance waiving that fee at all, counter with, "I can always find a drone at a shopping centre who will......
    Yep, balk at the install costs and see what happens. I think it can easily be gotten around...

I think it's either free installation OR no lock-in contract... pick your poison