Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2015/2016 Grand Final Series - Perth Wildcats vs New Zealand Breakers

Quote Originally Posted by fan since the old snakepit View Post
    It is an observation from someone who has watched more than their fair share of NBL.

I was looking forward to watching a great series. The finals series games were shit to watch IMO. Why cant I make that observation while still admiring how the Cats won.
    Not sure where you get this idea that Grand Final games will be free flowing offensive spectacles?

And why 2/3 games that went down to the wire isn't good entertainment?

Just because Game 3 was a blowout doesn't = total series failure.

Also remember the horrible scheduling of 3 games in 5 days playing a big part.
    Will you take a 5 Dennis, take a 5 please!

What I am saying is that if you are a fan of the game and don't have a dog in the fight but also enjoy watching exciting basketball from an aesthetic point of view the finals series was quite boring and an anti climax on the season.

Is that too hard for you one eyed fans to grasp.
    Some could argue that a battle between United & the Hawks, would've been an entertaining shootout showcase, but lacking in the whole substance of basketball. Either way, I'd enjoy the series, & I'm impartial.

And where anyone drew an inference that I was upset I do not know.
    Upset would be a stretch, but you were clearly unimpressed.

BTW FOTOS, I still love yah, but don't get defensively minded, it's boring.
    Last edited by DDFan; 08-03-2016 at 06:26 PM.
    "Box of Chocolates" OzHo.

For non-Perth/NZ fans, the Finals series could've been a chore. There was some good stretches of Game 1, the last 5 minutes of Game 2 were great but the rest was tough, and the Breakers didn't show up in Game 3.

The difficulty is defensive-oriented teams is never good to watch to the casual basketball fan. For that fan, the Finals are about consistent baskets, big shots and big plays (blocks, steals etc) rather than the outwardly nonchalant (but brilliant in reality) play of Damian Martin, who's the epitome of this Finals and deserved MVP.

This Finals matchup is akin to the Pistons Finals appearances in the 2000s, there was just enough offense to be convincing but for the most part, ehhh, what frustrating basketball.

Will you take a 5 Dennis, take a 5 please!

Quote Originally Posted by PyroCross View Post
    For non-Perth/NZ fans, the Finals series could've been a chore. There was some good stretches of Game 1, the last 5 minutes of Game 2 were great but the rest was tough, and the Breakers didn't show up in Game 3.

The difficulty is defensive-oriented teams is never good to watch to the casual basketball fan. For that fan, the Finals are about consistent baskets, big shots and big plays (blocks, steals etc) rather than the outwardly nonchalant (but brilliant in reality) play of Damian Martin, who's the epitome of this Finals and deserved MVP.

This Finals matchup is akin to the Pistons Finals appearances in the 2000s, there was just enough offense to be convincing but for the most part, ehhh, what frustrating basketball.
    Agree with a bit of this. To the fan who doesn't appreciate basketball and what it takes to win a championship, it would have been so-so. To the fan who loves to see two quality, evenly matched teams go at it with good matchups across the board it was an interesting series to watch the strategies unfold. That fan would have been captivated with both defensive brilliance as well as the offensive side of things.

But you cant change anyones opinion. They either look for the flashy plays, the free flowing offence, higher scoring or they appreciate its a GF and love it regardless of game style. Im the latter - I can watch any NBL GF and juts be entertained by the fact its a GF.
    25 seasons as a Wildcats member.

NBL Dream Team FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/NBLDreamTeam

Which is exactly what I said. If you are invested in the team it matters little how. If you understand the game you also admire what the Cats have done and I tip my hat to them.

What I am saying is that if you are a fan of the game and don't have a dog in the fight but also enjoy watching exciting basketball from an aesthetic point of view the finals series was quite boring and an anti climax on the season.

Is that too hard for you one eyed fans to grasp.

And where anyone drew an inference that I was upset I do not know.

I guess only those Cats fans who enjoy watching most of the other NBL games might understand that that finals series was ordinary on the eye.
    Hence why I said I see your point!

It's not too hard to grasp at all, and I'm by far a one eyed fan. I'm actually a member of the Hawks and Crocs, along with the Wildcats this past season.
    I didn't say you were upset either.
    I, like yourself, watch as many NBL games as I can.

It all comes down to what you think is good basketball. If you think that hustle, intensity, defence etc is all good, then you don't mind. If you think that the best defence is offence, then you probably don't like Perth and NZ's style.