Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Sydney Kings 2016/17

Quote Originally Posted by Daevo View Post
    Once a Tiger/Pig/Walli...
    Of course, West Sydney > East Sydney

can't believe that a number of posters are still referring to Cadee as needing development. he has had longer than most and surely should be as near to a finished product as there is. How old is he? i have never been a fan. thought he was over-rated at the outset (which wasn't helped by his accident). And now i think he should be producing consistently at the top level. if he still needs development then its probably not going to happen.

I think in part it's that he still has the potential to get better... He's had a weird start to the league and he IS only just turned 25... He's pretty much been stuck behind Gibbo most of his career which only allows so much growth, and we saw last season that when he got more time, he actually got better... Not sure being behind Kev will do much more, but certainly going up against him every day in practise will help... Plenty more room for improvement...

Were you done what you were doing at 25?
    Tool Herder: Special Projects Team Lead / Mayor of Twatland / Herder of Tools
    The Kings are dead... LONG LIVE THE KINGS!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
    I think in part it's that he still has the potential to get better... He's had a weird start to the league and he IS only just turned 25... He's pretty much been stuck behind Gibbo most of his career which only allows so much growth, and we saw last season that when he got more time, he actually got better... Not sure being behind Kev will do much more, but certainly going up against him every day in practise will help... Plenty more room for improvement...

Were you done what you were doing at 25?
    Good post.

Plus him being 6th man will be a brilliant move. KL can go to the 2 or get rest and JCII can do the damage at point. Liking the make up of the team. Feels a bit more balanced this year.
    Troll Alert.

Quote Originally Posted by s**tkicker View Post
    Good post.

Plus him being 6th man will be a brilliant move. KL can go to the 2 or get rest and JCII can do the damage at point. Liking the make up of the team. Feels a bit more balanced this year.
    yeah, I think he stepped up a bit with the whole PG in the tail end of that first China series and got more of a taste of leadership with the younger group that went back over more recently, so I'm hoping that he continues to grow and is a potent weapon this coming season... Getting the mix right will be the task for the coaching staff this season though... Not traditionally a huge problem for us...

Another good vid from Gazey talking about the start of pre-season training... not many full time faces there, hopefully Newls joins them soon, but at least they've started... Great to see Ken-Doll around as well... It looked also like a young Carfino was there as well? Could have been seeing things though...

yeah, I think he stepped up a bit with the whole PG in the tail end of that first China series and got more of a taste of leadership with the younger group that went back over more recently, so I'm hoping that he continues to grow and is a potent weapon this coming season... Getting the mix right will be the task for the coaching staff this season though... Not traditionally a huge problem for us...

Another good vid from Gazey talking about the start of pre-season training... not many full time faces there, hopefully Newls joins them soon, but at least they've started... Great to see Ken-Doll around as well... It looked also like a young Carfino was there as well? Could have been seeing things though...

I got excited seeing a tall, rangey American in the Video only to see it was Leonard Copeland haha.
    Troll Alert.

I got excited seeing a tall, rangey American in the Video only to see it was Leonard Copeland haha.
    Ha! I had to double take as well! Still looks like he could mix it up in traniing... hell, if Hammer did a few times, Copes certainly could...

So, a rumour that Garrett Jackson from the Thunder in the SEABL was apparently trialling with the Kings last week and this but rolled his ankle and didn't play on the weekend? I'm assuming that this is the same one that had some games with the Unitards? I recall him a bit but nothing significant...

Ha! I had to double take as well! Still looks like he could mix it up in traniing... hell, if Hammer did a few times, Copes certainly could...

So, a rumour that Garrett Jackson from the Thunder in the SEABL was apparently trialling with the Kings last week and this but rolled his ankle and didn't play on the weekend? I'm assuming that this is the same one that had some games with the Unitards? I recall him a bit but nothing significant...
    Please, no. He was awful.
    Troll Alert.

Mirko Djeric released from his contract to play in Serbia:

http://www.sydneykings.com/featured-...roster-update/

Looks like a bullet was dodged there!

I would like to thank Mirko for his hard work and determination through years of developing his game.

Here is a career mixtape of his greatest NBL achievements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvrS3HN3u74

Yeah, not a huge loss really... Curious to see who they pick up now though, but with everything they're putting out there, very confident that JvG has got something up his sleeve...

Not a huge loss but he was depth and could hit an open shot. All the best.
    Troll Alert.

Yeah, not a huge loss really... Curious to see who they pick up now though, but with everything they're putting out there, very confident that JvG has got something up his sleeve...
    Daniel Joyce

Any insight on the new Import?
    Troll Alert.

Umm... from his senior highlight video he seems like he's got a great shot and good range and can find his spots nicely... Seems like a good hustle player at the other end as well... Plus he likes to make the dunk shot, which I hear is popular with the kids?

From his (other) Kings pre-draft workout vid, he looks like a good kid with a solid head on his shoulders, which is really needed... I think he'll come in and work hard with the team goal in mind that he knows will benefit him in the long run... Unlike some other imports of late that have come in and had their head in the NBA and not where he was, what he was doing...

No word on when he's going to be in town though? Sooner rather than later, me hopes...

Umm... from his senior highlight video he seems like he's got a great shot and good range and can find his spots nicely... Seems like a good hustle player at the other end as well... Plus he likes to make the dunk shot, which I hear is popular with the kids?

From his (other) Kings pre-draft workout vid, he looks like a good kid with a solid head on his shoulders, which is really needed... I think he'll come in and work hard with the team goal in mind that he knows will benefit him in the long run... Unlike some other imports of late that have come in and had their head in the NBA and not where he was, what he was doing...

No word on when he's going to be in town though? Sooner rather than later, me hopes...
    That video looks amazing.
    Troll Alert.

That video looks amazing.
    Very impressive that he has a back to the basket game as well as being a lights out shooter. Not many 2 guards possess both.
    Will you take a 5 Dennis, take a 5 please!

So it looks like the Kings have signed 6'8 forward Greg Whittington as their second import, ruling Chill out well and truly, despite his friendly twitter banter with Cadee today...

Pick and Roll preview article

Sounds like he's more a 3/4? That'd probably be a good fit... and has actually been over here working out with the team as well which is great as he would have at least had a run with Cadee and Tommy...

Why does the signing of Whittington mean the end of any chance of getting J Chill? Is it not possible that Josh is the 3rd import? I read an article only 3 weeks ago where Gaze said they would give Chill all the time he needed so highly unlikely that would have changed within weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by showtime View Post
    Why does the signing of Whittington mean the end of any chance of getting J Chill? Is it not possible that Josh is the 3rd import? I read an article only 3 weeks ago where Gaze said they would give Chill all the time he needed so highly unlikely that would have changed within weeks?
    A team has to give up an import spot for each local marquee player in addition to their first one, so if we have two marquee locals (take your pick, Lisch, Newls, or Maric), that means we're only allowed two imports... Pretty sure I read somewhere that they were only intending to run with two because of this, but even if it was only the voices inside my head saying it, surely we'd have to have at least two local marquee players, with what they would be being paid, the cap savings would be noticeable...

Plus paying for Chill on top of ALL that has be spent already? That seems super dooper extravagant!

Whittington and Childress also play the same position.

A team has to give up an import spot for each local marquee player in addition to their first one, so if we have two marquee locals (take your pick, Lisch, Newls, or Maric), that means we're only allowed two imports...!
    Hey Nerf, can you explain this further, or do you have a link to the info?
    25 seasons as a Wildcats member.

NBL Dream Team FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/NBLDreamTeam

You are prob right however just hoping Childress will come through....

It does seem odd though cos this article in mid July talks about them giving Childress time, and a video on the Kings FB page has Gaze saying he will wait for Childress as long as he needs...then 3 weeks later, they sign Whittington?

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2...spot-childress

Whittington is a hell of a player though. These 2 imports seem to be very astute signings.
    Troll Alert.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild 1 View Post
    Hey Nerf, can you explain this further, or do you have a link to the info?
    No probs... from: here

?In conjunction with the revisions made to the salary cap system we hope this will incentivise teams to retain Australian and New Zealand talent at the very highest level in the long term.?

This will mean that any non-restricted (local) player may be nominated by a team as its marquee player, meaning that only the first $150,000 of that player?s salary will be counted toward that team?s salary cap, a move that for the first time sees Australian players being acknowledged by the NBL as some of the best in the world.

Any team may replace any one or more of its restricted player entitlements with an additional non-restricted marquee player, with the salary cap amount increasing by $50,000 for each additional marquee player. (i.e. $200,000 of a team?s second marquee player?s salary would be counted toward the salary cap, $250,000 for the third and $300,000 for the fourth).
    So it's really a juggling act and dependent on what everyone is getting paid... Nominating the top two most expensive players makes sense to only spend $350,000 on both (for cap purposes) but then it sort of becomes a case of whether it's worth shelling out the extra money to get more out of a marquee level player than a third string import and they're worth the extra cash...